IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Saw a GSF at the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-15, 08:45 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Saw a GSF at the dealer

It's amazing how little Lexus salespeople know about the ISF even though it's been off the market barely a year now. For that matter they seemingly don't know much sometimes of their current stock either.

I went in yesterday to look at the GSF and one of the salesmen quickly $tepped up to discuss the car with me, Started telling me all about the 'neat' features like blind spot monitor, cross traffic alert. radar cruise, etc. After a few minutes of his ranting I told him I know a fair bit about the car and I just wanted to see it first hand. I also then told him that last year I was almost ready to buy a GS450h but settled on the ISF instead. He then told me how the interior of the GS has very similar features as my F, to which I responded that actually my F is the mostly like a second generation IS and the layout is quite different from the current stock of Lexus's.

He then called over another sales whom he said knew more about the F cars. This other salesman proceeded to tell me how the GSF is designed to compete with the M5 at $35k. less money. As much as I like Lexus I think the M5 is probably a faster car. He also told me how my ISF has "437hp" and was designed to compete with the M3 (at least he got the M3 part right). He then mentioned how the GSF with 467hp is much faster than the ISF. I am not so sure this is true. I believe our cars are a good 300 to 400lbs lighter, I expect it would be a toss up as to which is faster.

On another note as I looked at the GSF in the showroom I have to admit it did not shout out "come and buy me". In fact when I walked in and asked to see one, I was actually standing right in front of it and I did not even notice. Maybe a test drive will tell a different story
Old 12-23-15, 08:58 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

There's going to be one meet here in so.cal for Gs f, I wanted to see it and check out the caliper...then that's about it...i honestly expecting more hp than rc f, but ...whatever...
Old 12-23-15, 09:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

All the reviews seem like they made a well balanced car.......that the Germans are not afraid of at all. Id like to own one in the future or may just keep the F and buy a big boy LS. I miss the luxury and total isolation from everything around you. Cool thing about the GSF is that you may be able to have it all in one.......I just wish it had bigger *****
Old 12-23-15, 10:55 PM
x622
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also saw one of these in person. Honestly, not really impressed. I like the proportions and size of the ISF and the GSF with roughly the same powerplant strikes me as pretty weak.

To consider it competition to say a CTS-V or an M5 is quite frankly a joke. I honestly wonder why Lexus does this sillyness. I love my ISF but I'd love it even more if it had the powerplant and transmission from my friend's 2012 CTS-V with a 6 speed.

Really wish they'd offer forced induction in addition and could actually offer competition on their top trim models.
Old 12-23-15, 11:38 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I saw it in the showroom the day it arrived, and I must say, it is a handsome vehicle. So much more advanced than the IS F and even RC F. Seats hug me nicely, which is hard because I am quite broad to begin with. What I liked most was the attention to detail. Carbon fiber accents, stitching, F logo on the calipers, OLED temp gauges, LFA-esque transions within the instrument cluster, larger navigation screen, and the wheel design...these are things I like to look at when considering a high performance vehicle, even before I start her up. I'll get my test drive soon, and as much as the added HP and TQ has on the newer Fs, I know it won't sway me to jump ship for one.
Old 12-24-15, 07:24 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a 550 M-Sport competitor. Lexus has nothing in the stable that approaches CTS-V or M5 levels of performance, not until they start inducting their V8. I bought my IS-F precisely because it was naturally aspirated and not forced induction...
Old 12-24-15, 08:34 AM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Between the RCF and GSF I actually consider the GSF a better option to upgrading the ISF. With the RCF you get similar performance to the ISF but you lose space and comfort. With the GSF you get similar performance to the ISF but you gain space and comfort.
Old 12-24-15, 08:39 AM
Tokenblkgy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my experience with Lexus Dealers ( since owning my ISF) only a hand full even know what the ISF is and can talk "cars" with you. Most of them are older in age and sell mostly the sedans and SUV's.. so that conversation had me laughing for a bit!

With the GS-F just like with any car some will love it and some will hate it. I personally think its a great vehicle for what it can offer. Sure there are more "powerful" cars on the market. But lets be real folks in America there are only a few places where you can actually use all the power on the public roads without going to jail. And only a few of us will ever track this car so it will be daily driven or sit in the garage until the weekend so some will never drive the car to its full potential. I believe there comes a point where refined handling and comfort have to come into play as well 600+ HP and tire shredding power. Lexus delivers that.

I feel the GSF has a equal balance of both and yet it may not be a M5 or CTS-V but how many of those do you see a day. I dont want to pull up to the light and look over and see the same car im in. It may not win any love from the German fan boys but I feel Lexus is going in the right direction with the GSF. Its only the beginning and they have a long way to go to get to to those numbers but you have to love (as top gear said about the LFA) the technology in the ISF has that playstation GT feel and look to it. I love the display, very intuitive.
Old 12-24-15, 08:48 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

is it just me or goes the car look less aggressive that I would expect from every angle other than the front. It looks like its too high and the offset of the wheels is weaker . It might be just the added length and height that makes it look less aggressive
Old 12-24-15, 09:12 AM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Yeah it doesn't look that aggressive to me
Old 12-24-15, 12:22 PM
VMRWheels
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally dig the looks of the car!
What's crazy is that I wasn't even aware they were released already.
Definitely need to get down to a dealership and check it out.
Old 12-24-15, 12:24 PM
x622
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
I saw it in the showroom the day it arrived, and I must say, it is a handsome vehicle. So much more advanced than the IS F and even RC F. Seats hug me nicely, which is hard because I am quite broad to begin with. What I liked most was the attention to detail. Carbon fiber accents, stitching, F logo on the calipers, OLED temp gauges, LFA-esque transions within the instrument cluster, larger navigation screen, and the wheel design...these are things I like to look at when considering a high performance vehicle, even before I start her up. I'll get my test drive soon, and as much as the added HP and TQ has on the newer Fs, I know it won't sway me to jump ship for one.
Porsche might be right up your alley.
Old 12-24-15, 12:39 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Doesn't seem like lexus made this to be a V/M5 competitor, if they wanted to make something to compete with them they would have. The GSF seems to be more of a middle ground, for those who want something still very quick and fun for a road car but don't want to give up any of the luxury or practicality.
Old 12-24-15, 01:34 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

My SA sent me these this morning . He knows I'm an F junky . Looks solid in white
Attached Thumbnails Saw a GSF at the dealer-photo4294966374.jpg   Saw a GSF at the dealer-photo510.jpg   Saw a GSF at the dealer-photo98.jpg   Saw a GSF at the dealer-photo612.jpg  
Old 12-24-15, 01:37 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Well that doesn't inspire confidence......

Quick Reply: Saw a GSF at the dealer