Looking at 2010-11 ISFs

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-15, 06:37 PM
theEZV
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at 2010-11 ISFs

Hello folks!

I am currently in the process of selling my 2013 WRX. I'm about to turn 30, and after driving modded turbo 4-bangers for the last decade, I am looking for something that's a little more "grown up", has a little more luxury, but still something I can mod and have fun with.

I've mainly been looking for a 2013-14 335i M Sport, but the ISF has been piquing my interest recently, I just think these cars are cool.

Here is the car I'm looking at right now:
http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...7346/overview/

Really low miles and I dig the color. Price is good. But it is out of warranty.
Is it possible this car belonged to a forum member, maybe someone recognizes it?

I would prefer a 2011+, but my budget is around $38k, and all lower mileage cars seems to be in the low 40s. The updated suspension isn't a big deal anyway since I would probably run coils anyway.

Anything specific to look out for? Any recommendations? I've read some things about leaking water pumps, saw a couple of posts about leaking rads. But overall reliability seems very solid.

If I call my local Lexus dealer, would they be able to tell me about the service history? Should I be mostly OK with a PPI, and hope for the best?

Thanks!
Old 11-17-15, 07:08 PM
H1_OFICR
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what I posted about the F a while back.. And I still stand by it..

I went through about 30 pages on the forums looking for problems.. The huge problems I found were:

Someone's hair getting messed up from wind flow from Windows (seriously.... These are the type of complaints.. Go on a m3 or amg forum. Blown transmissions, head bolt issues.. 6k brake jobs... )

No but seriously. Waterpumps, possible inner tire wear... Speeding tickets.. And ur empty bank account from buying carbon fiber..

These cars are over engineered.. Search "reliability" on here and u will not find one negative thing.. Pretty remarkable. But.... Make sure u gel your hair... The damn wind gets it every time.
Old 11-17-15, 08:35 PM
CK21
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by H1_OFICR
This is what I posted about the F a while back.. And I still stand by it..

I went through about 30 pages on the forums looking for problems.. The huge problems I found were:

Someone's hair getting messed up from wind flow from Windows (seriously.... These are the type of complaints.. Go on a m3 or amg forum. Blown transmissions, head bolt issues.. 6k brake jobs... )

No but seriously. Waterpumps, possible inner tire wear... Speeding tickets.. And ur empty bank account from buying carbon fiber..

These cars are over engineered.. Search "reliability" on here and u will not find one negative thing.. Pretty remarkable. But.... Make sure u gel your hair... The damn wind gets it every time.
I can attest to the hair thing. Pisses me off sometimes
Seriously though, you can't go wrong with this car. The only thing you will miss is the modibility.
Old 11-17-15, 08:58 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

IS-F prices definitely seem to vary depending on where you are. Many have found 2011/12 for less than $40K. I don't think their mileage is as low as the one you're looking at (13K miles) but these motors are pretty bulletproof if you're willing to go higher mileage.

Leaky water pumps seem to be mostly 08/09 issue as well as the fuel pressure gasket recall. Rad and rad bolts go throughout the isf years.

For maintenence you can check lexus.com with the VIN to see if it's been done at a Lexus dealer.

Not sure if you know but 2010+ has the torsen rear end. You're off to a good start! Good luck.
Old 11-17-15, 09:01 PM
myspec15
Driver

keep looking get what you want
Old 11-17-15, 10:06 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by theEZV
Hello folks!

I am currently in the process of selling my 2013 WRX. I'm about to turn 30, and after driving modded turbo 4-bangers for the last decade, I am looking for something that's a little more "grown up", has a little more luxury, but still something I can mod and have fun with.

I've mainly been looking for a 2013-14 335i M Sport, but the ISF has been piquing my interest recently, I just think these cars are cool.

Thanks!
The ISF is a fantastic car but if you are looking for a platform to mod like what your coming from (forced induction/big aftermarket support etc....) then I would go for the 335i. I know you can make serious power with a tune and bolt ons, but you have the reliability thing to think about with BMW.

The ISF on the other hand has very limited aftermarket support (approx. 5,200 ISF's between 2008-2014 in North America). You are basically limited to exhaust, headers and intake (and even with the intake you really don't gain anything over stock) and some guys go for NOS at the end of those mods. Then you have your suspension (coil overs) and maybe upgraded brake pads.

Can't complain about mine one bit, I love the car and I can accept what it is.
Old 11-18-15, 07:12 AM
theEZV
Driver School Candidate

I've been doing some research into modding these cars - I would do suspension, wheels/tires, and exhaust initially. I'd like to do some cosmetic stuff a bit down the road, I love the WALD wing and diffuser. Maybe the header as well a bit later on. Nothing crazy. Car has plenty of power stock, just want to drive and enjoy it.

I'll take a look to see if I can dig up the service history from Lexus.com, thanks for suggesting that.
Old 11-18-15, 08:34 AM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

I lve mine as I have a 2011. I haven't looked back. There isn't a ton of mods but these cars are rare. I like being different and that was my biggest reason for buying the car, plus reliability.

Only issues I have seen is lead foot = constant gas, Cops love this car and yours is all leather as you will be sliding around. So hang on, push the gas, have fun and be safe. These cars are built to last.
Old 11-18-15, 09:29 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

I beat on my F regularly at the track and she is solid !!! Bullet proof. 10 track days in less than 19 months and all I have had was a squeaky drivers seat that needed to be tightened at the base. Seriously..........that's it . The F is a beast. BMWs are fun to drive but a PITA to own .

F!
Old 11-18-15, 09:31 PM
Tokenblkgy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theEZV
I've been doing some research into modding these cars - I would do suspension, wheels/tires, and exhaust initially. I'd like to do some cosmetic stuff a bit down the road, I love the WALD wing and diffuser. Maybe the header as well a bit later on. Nothing crazy. Car has plenty of power stock, just want to drive and enjoy it.

I'll take a look to see if I can dig up the service history from Lexus.com, thanks for suggesting that.
Looks like that one just sold tonight to a new member up here!

I love my 2011 ISF i think it was probably the all around best car purchase i have made in my 38 years of life lol. I didnt buy this car to mod it, i have other toys for that. This is a solid beast that i can open up when I want to but take the wife out to dinner in style when I also want to.
Old 11-20-15, 05:26 PM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought the ISF to help break my modding addiction but my car ADD is starting to kick in and I am getting bored. Aside from that they are rock solid, I love it i just wish it had a little more power out of the box....but that's a personal preference.