IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Am I being unrealistic with my expectations when buying a used ISF?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-15, 06:58 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by XutvJet
That newly listed 2012 ISF in Dallas has an Injen intake. I don't want someone else's modded car. I give up.
Don't give up and don't settle for the Oklahoma car, there are quite a few IS-F's out there still worth taking a look at. Buying the first car you find is not a smart move.

You're located in KS, that's pretty close to Dallas and other places.

AutoTrader has a few good cars, Chicago has the 2013 Nebula Gray Pearl. Seeing this paint in person won me over the USB, the downside, this car has the red/black interior.

There is another NBP with black interior here in NC, higher mileage but lower price.

What color are you after?

Last edited by 2URGSE; 10-25-15 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-25-15, 10:50 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
Don't give up and don't settle for the Oklahoma car, there are quite a few IS-F's out there still worth taking a look at. Buying the first car you find is not a smart move.

You're located in KS, that's pretty close to Dallas and other places.

AutoTrader has a few good cars, Chicago has the 2013 Nebula Gray Pearl. Seeing this paint in person won me over the USB, the downside, this car has the red/black interior.

There is another NBP with black interior here in NC, higher mileage but lower price.

What color are you after?
Is be happy to trade you my black interior for your red/black!
Old 10-26-15, 06:21 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Originally Posted by ZaxF
Is be happy to trade you my black interior for your red/black!
Negative.
Old 10-26-15, 06:34 AM
PololoISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread has seriously lost its mark...

I guess you need to buy a new car. Period. You will NEVER EVER know if the car was abused...

"It was driven by an elder woman"... could mean... she never waited until the engine was warm to accelerate... THAT will cause more damage than a true enthusiast that drives the car the way it should be driven... always uses the best oils, best air filters, waits until oil is warm, etc...

Personally, if I don't have the money to get a new car, I rather buy one from an enthusiast and call it a day. That is what I did...

> $50K for a used ISF? Yikes....

Won't comment anymore. This looks more like a "soap opera"... and the next episode is... lol

Good luck,
P
Old 10-26-15, 10:38 AM
XutvJet
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm willing to spend the money to get what I want. My plan for years was to get an ISF and then eventually get a slightly used Cayman S or 911 to compliment it.

$50K is a lot of money, but it means I'm getting a barely used ISF with all the latest tech and it's a car that I will be keeping for 8 years+. Overall, resale is strong with these cars, just like my WRX. The ISF is the car I want. I also like and respect the German and American sport sedan makes, but NONE of them offer the performance and reliability that the ISF does. Yes, the ISF gives up a little performance in some instances and is older, but my time is worth money and I don't want to be screwing around with lots of warranty visits and excessive out of warranty repairs. I'm also done with forced induced cars too and that's pretty much all that's out there now. I much prefer the linear and immediate power delivery of a naturally aspirated motor. I think the E92 M3 with the V8 is sexy as hell and a great performer, but I wouldn't touch that car and it's motor with a 10 foot pole. Audi products? We're talking a 1 mile pole LOL
Old 10-26-15, 10:40 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't call even a 2014 ISF the latest tech. That center console and MMI were more or less a mid 2000s design.
Old 10-26-15, 11:12 AM
XutvJet
Driver

Originally Posted by SubOrbital
I wouldn't call even a 2014 ISF the latest tech. That center console and MMI were more or less a mid 2000s design.

Coming from a 2012 WRX Limited and previously a 2003 G35, a 2013 ISF is full of way more "tech" than I need. Give me push button start, keyless entry, fully adjustable power seats, adjustable steering column, nav and backup camera, steering wheel controls, a banging stereo with BT/Pandora app/USB, Homelink, and LED lighting and I've gotten what I wanted. These 2013 ISFs have way more than I need such as healight washers, radar cruise control, etc. Also I MUCH prefer the simple and clean dash look of the 2IS to the 3IS.
Old 10-26-15, 02:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I am assuming that since many Fs are leased that the newer 2014 and 2013 MYs will have less mileage and will not have mods.
Old 10-27-15, 08:16 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

These cars were/are almost exclusively leased.
Old 10-27-15, 11:14 AM
Tokenblkgy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coming from a 2012 WRX Limited and previously a 2003 G35, a 2013 ISF is full of way more "tech" than I need. Give me push button start, keyless entry, fully adjustable power seats, adjustable steering column, nav and backup camera, steering wheel controls, a banging stereo with BT/Pandora app/USB, Homelink, and LED lighting and I've gotten what I wanted. These 2013 ISFs have way more than I need such as healight washers, radar cruise control, etc. Also I MUCH prefer the simple and clean dash look of the 2IS to the 3IS.
I feel you, the tech in the F is way more than my 07 Volvo S60R I had for 8 years...(crazy that car cost me almost 45K when it was new) .

BTW I have been looking on Cars.com, and, Auto trader! Are you looking for a L-Certified ISF, non certified, used, or private Seller IS-F..??

I found a few examples of the later that could work for you..

Last edited by Tokenblkgy; 10-27-15 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-01-15, 03:50 AM
2URGSE
Racer

These 2013 ISFs have way more than I need such as healight washers, radar cruise control, etc. Also I MUCH prefer the simple and clean dash look of the 2IS to the 3IS.
That's not correct. The radar guided cruise control and headlight washers are not standard, they are factory options. My 2013 didn't come with them, and I can care less.

The other features are all included. You can't really buy an IS-F "without all the tech".

If you can pull a 2013 or a 2012 go for it. Some suspension differences, that's about it.

If you're worried about price, I would be more concerned about what the Porsche will do to you down the road maintenance wise.

Yes, 50K is a lot for a car, but it's a limited production, proven platform car. It's a take it or leave it with the IS-F, there isn't much more to say.
Old 11-01-15, 10:22 AM
XutvJet
Driver

You're right and I wrote it wrong. The NGP 2013 ISF I'm looking at is loaded and appears to have every option. It had a list price of $68,500 back in July 2013. I guess my point was I don't need options like that.

The Chicago dealer still has the car as of today and it's definitely the one car I want. It's also the most expensive dealer-offered ISF in country. It's probably the nicest, bonestock, used ISF offered as well. We'll see.

As for the future Porsche, reliability on those cars is genereally solid. I would do all the general maintenance myself just like I will on the ISF. I enjoy wrenching and maintaining my cars. Short of a motor or tranny teardown, I can do most anything. By the time I have the Porsche, I'll have a garage lift.

Last edited by XutvJet; 11-01-15 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-01-15, 12:04 PM
Tokenblkgy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're right and I wrote it wrong. The NGP 2013 ISF I'm looking at is loaded and appears to have every option. It had a list price of $68,500 back in July 2013. I guess my point was I don't need options like that.

The Chicago dealer still has the car as of today and it's definitely the one car I want. It's also the most expensive dealer-offered ISF in country. It's probably the nicest, bonestock, used ISF offered as well. We'll see.

Dude just go and get the car lol.. you are killing yourself with all the back and forth...
If getting a non modified, untouched F is that important to you then call them up and make the sale. It fits everything you are looking for. I'm sure everyone up here will agree with me, that you don't have to justify to anyone ( other than yourself) what price you paid, what options you got, didn't get, whether it was modified or not. If you like it get it.

Honestly we would rather have you up here as part of the forum contributing and telling us how bad *** this car is and how you are enjoying it , than hearing you nit pick over another ISF you found that you think was modded and how that isn't for you..

real talk homie... get the ISF and let the fun begin.. you wont be disappointed...

Token
Old 11-02-15, 06:50 AM
PololoISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes...

Don't come back unless you have purchased the car...

I am sure you know this "Paralysis by Analysis" ...

Be a MAN!!!... go and get her..period...

P.

Last edited by PololoISF; 11-02-15 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-02-15, 09:55 AM
COisF
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OKC isn't really local to me (6 hours) but I do have a work colleague there that could go look at the car for me. I just sent the dealership a "what's your best offer" email. It's a starting point in the game. They're asking $48,870 for mostly loaded silver/red 2013 with 16K miles, one owner, trade in,L-certified. The price is actually really good per KBB and NADA. It's been on their lot for 5 weeks. These cars just sit on lots because so few know about them. We'll see how interested they are in moving it. They know my concerns about the intake and are aware that I have a local "inspector" to verify condition. The car sounds really good otherwise.
For what it's worth, Eskridge Lexus (the OKC dealer your're referring to) is an AMAZING group of folks. I bought my IS-F from them 2 years ago and you will not work with many better dealers. They had every record and are extremely honest. If you get a chance, work with Don Luman and/or Ed Eskridge and tell them Brandon (with the red IS-F) told to work with them. I bought mine with a K&N intake and paid to do the swap. After the deal I worked on an Audi S5 trade-in that I was in bad shape on, it was worth the $800 out of my pocket. Anyway...bottom-line is that Don and Ed are more honest and straight forward regarding condition, etc, than any I have ever worked with. The owner of the dealership (Ed's family) has an LFA sitting in the showroom...they are enthusiasts and treat their specialty vehicles as such. Good luck!

- Brandon

Quick Reply: Am I being unrealistic with my expectations when buying a used ISF?