IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

What style of lug nut is recommended with aftermarket wheels on the ISF ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-15, 05:38 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default What style of lug nut is recommended with aftermarket wheels on the ISF ?

Was going to be getting wheels very soon and really wanted to make sure I have correct lugs. I have been told that I need " ET" lugs ( extended thread ) and I have also ben told that I need the " cone seat" lugs. When I look online it looks like the ET lug style is just the conical seat type but reaches a little further. I am concerned that using an inappropriate lug will cause vibration .

Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated. What type of lugs are you using on the F? I have seen people buy really high end lugs. I never even thought of it. I would just use what they recommended at Discount tire in the past. I just figure that I really want to pay attention to the details with this set up.

PS please excuse my ignorance on this topic if this is super obvious

Thanks so much for your help in advance guys
Old 10-07-15, 08:38 PM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

You'll also need to make sure they are a 1.5 thread pitch
Old 10-07-15, 09:35 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

As mentioned above you'll want to make sure you get 12x1.5 for thread pitch.

All aftermarket wheels I know require the conical lugs. As for the ET, I'm not familiar with them but I assume they'd be for people with extended studs. I see no reason you would need them unless your new wheels have really deep holes and normal lugs would be too sunken...that's usually not the case though.
Old 10-07-15, 10:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FNSSESPORT
You'll also need to make sure they are a 1.5 thread pitch
Originally Posted by j3ff
As mentioned above you'll want to make sure you get 12x1.5 for thread pitch.

All aftermarket wheels I know require the conical lugs. As for the ET, I'm not familiar with them but I assume they'd be for people with extended studs. I see no reason you would need them unless your new wheels have really deep holes and normal lugs would be too sunken...that's usually not the case though.
Thanks for the response guys. I was told that it actually might vary by the wheel. I mentioned the ET style because the guys at discount tire said that would be the best make sure the wheel is as secure as possible, but most say the conical seat type is fine.

I have seen people buy high end lugs for years and never even thought about it.
Old 10-07-15, 10:46 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I've always been a fan of Rays lugs..theyre forged and are super light as well as durable. Dare I say I used an impact on them quite a few times :/

As far as being more secure I can't see that being the case. Say you get a full 8 or so threads on the lug.. if you had an et style it'd still be 8 threads. Once it's snug against the wheel it's done.. an extended lug would just stick out further. Or I could be missing something completely. I'm by no means a lug expert. Haha.
Old 10-08-15, 09:27 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Thanks for the response guys. I was told that it actually might vary by the wheel. I mentioned the ET style because the guys at discount tire said that would be the best make sure the wheel is as secure as possible, but most say the conical seat type is fine.

I have seen people buy high end lugs for years and never even thought about it.
I've never seen an aftermarket wheel with anything but conical seat lugs. ET is recommended for safety. You track your car. You would be foolish to run anything else. Also be certain you get hubcentric rings for your new wheels. They are critically important for track duty.
Old 10-08-15, 10:29 AM
eddyisf
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

You'll probably still get vibration with hubcentric rings forged wheels ftw ... I use tuner lugs have never had a problem with them backing out or getting loose
Old 10-08-15, 10:51 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Let's start with the obvious

Whats wheels are you getting ???

~ Joe Z
Old 10-08-15, 12:43 PM
Sean
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're getting the wheels I think you're getting they should come with the hubcentric rings (maybe lugs also depending on your vendor, though they will be super-cheap) 12x1.5 conical.
Old 10-08-15, 05:03 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I've never seen an aftermarket wheel with anything but conical seat lugs. ET is recommended for safety. You track your car. You would be foolish to run anything else. Also be certain you get hubcentric rings for your new wheels. They are critically important for track duty.
Manager at discount tire says use the ET style too.

Originally Posted by eddyisf
You'll probably still get vibration with hubcentric rings forged wheels ftw ... I use tuner lugs have never had a problem with them backing out or getting loose
why is that ??

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Let's start with the obvious

Whats wheels are you getting ???

~ Joe Z
HRE FF15 . Flow Formed line from HRE. They should be pretty high quality wheels. HRE is on another level when it comes to quality and quality certifications.
19x9 et40 255/35/19 and rear 19x11 295/30/19 et55 wrapped in Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R Wheels weight are 21lbs front and 23lbs rear. This should help keep me under oem wheel weights or at least even but with a ton more grip. I decided to order the wheels with custom Anthracite finish. I decided against black wheels. Seems like you lose a lot of the detail of the wheel in the lack of contrast . They said the 19x11 et55 was really for the RCF but they test fit the wheel on an ISF they had and it cleared !!

Originally Posted by Sean
If you're getting the wheels I think you're getting they should come with the hubcentric rings (maybe lugs also depending on your vendor, though they will be super-cheap) 12x1.5 conical.
You are 100% correct. I knew a company like HRE would supply hub rings, but I called today and found out that they will even be supplying the lugs I need to for the wheels !! I was pretty happy about that. You are right about the lugs being 12x1.5 conical too. I had no clue about any of this "lug stuff". Just always had Discount tire give me what they said was best or safest. Really never had exposure to the technical side of lugs. Lady on the phone at HRE said their lugs are light weight
Attached Thumbnails What style of lug nut is recommended with aftermarket wheels on the ISF ?-387419g05.jpg   What style of lug nut is recommended with aftermarket wheels on the ISF ?-we-are-very-excited-about-the-new-flowform-ff15-wheels-from-hre-performance-wheels-gorgeous-to-l.jpg  

Last edited by I8ABMR; 10-08-15 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-08-15, 05:50 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,513 Likes on 656 Posts

I use only these lug nuts on all my cars. The seats are made of anodized aluminum and do not spin against the wheel so they don't "eat" the holes up over time. You also tend to apply torque to the studs more accurately compared to one piece nuts.
Old 10-08-15, 06:22 PM
eddyisf
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Hre are good wheels just ask what the center bore is if hub centric rings are needed buy some metal ones not the plastic ones I own a tire shop and have had multiple people come back from vibration problems with plastic rings after we changed them to metal all was good ...☝ those are some nice lug Nuts
Old 10-08-15, 07:40 PM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
I use only these lug nuts on all my cars. The seats are made of anodized aluminum and do not spin against the wheel so they don't "eat" the holes up over time. You also tend to apply torque to the studs more accurately compared to one piece nuts.
+1 on these Project Kics, when I was doing my lug nut research prior to getting new wheels, these seemed like the best.
-R
Old 10-08-15, 07:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

right on . I will call and ask if they use metal or plastic rings . Thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-08-15, 09:55 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
Originally Posted by eddyisf
Hre are good wheels just ask what the center bore is if hub centric rings are needed buy some metal ones not the plastic ones I own a tire shop and have had multiple people come back from vibration problems with plastic rings after we changed them to metal all was good ...☝ those are some nice lug Nuts
Originally Posted by FNSSESPORT
+1 on these Project Kics, when I was doing my lug nut research prior to getting new wheels, these seemed like the best.
-R

I found them on Amazon. Kics Project R26 12x1.5 ??? Sound right
. I am tempted to order a set just in case. I would gladly drop $150 to avoid drama or vibration . I tried googling HRE hub rings and nothing comes up other than they are hub centric. Not sure if that's the case the the Flow Formed line since they are "entry level" HRE wheels. I will check it out.

Quick Reply: What style of lug nut is recommended with aftermarket wheels on the ISF ?