IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Dealer can't fix noise from rear suspension/brakes. (FIXED - post 44)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-16, 02:42 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Im so sorry to hear this bro. This **** will drive one crazy. I would have them reevaluate the repair and make sure all is tight. Unless its just those ruff roads
Old 08-18-16, 05:39 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Damn, I'm not surprised. If it makes you feel better, I started with a 2007 is250, then 2012 is 350, I'm on my second 2011 ISF. Guess what? They all did the same! It didn't bother me as much. I will honestly remember about it only when backing out of the drive way or going over speed bumps at work. When I remembered about it at the dealership. My tech diagnosed it as loose bolts around the stock diffuser area, from the right passenger section. It didn't make sense to me as it clearly only makes the noise when going over bumps. Especially from the strut/suspension section in the right rear. My solution, just turn up the volume on the radio...lol. I'll bring it up again, when I see my tech in two weeks. I'll show him this thread as well and see what we can dig up.
Old 08-18-16, 07:43 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

try using the parking brake. I think Joe Z pointed out that if you don't use it the cable gets loose and when you stop or go over bumps it will make a thumping sound.
Old 08-18-16, 03:41 PM
jasole
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
your in NYC maybe the roads are just that bad...
True, but I'm pretty careful with the car.
Old 08-18-16, 03:42 PM
jasole
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by foxprime
Maybe the quality of the roads or the car parts, there could be a lot of factors into play here.

Consider taking it to a third party auto shop? Might get some second opinions there.
I may have to because the warranty expired.
Old 08-18-16, 03:43 PM
jasole
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Im so sorry to hear this bro. This **** will drive one crazy. I would have them reevaluate the repair and make sure all is tight. Unless its just those ruff roads
Thank you. They test drove it, and of course, they said they couldn't hear it.
Old 08-18-16, 03:44 PM
jasole
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
Damn, I'm not surprised. If it makes you feel better, I started with a 2007 is250, then 2012 is 350, I'm on my second 2011 ISF. Guess what? They all did the same! It didn't bother me as much. I will honestly remember about it only when backing out of the drive way or going over speed bumps at work. When I remembered about it at the dealership. My tech diagnosed it as loose bolts around the stock diffuser area, from the right passenger section. It didn't make sense to me as it clearly only makes the noise when going over bumps. Especially from the strut/suspension section in the right rear. My solution, just turn up the volume on the radio...lol. I'll bring it up again, when I see my tech in two weeks. I'll show him this thread as well and see what we can dig up.
Ok. Please let us know what happens.
Old 08-18-16, 03:47 PM
jasole
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
try using the parking brake. I think Joe Z pointed out that if you don't use it the cable gets loose and when you stop or go over bumps it will make a thumping sound.
I use my parking brake every single time I park the car, regardless of the road incline. I don't think it has anything to do with the braking system.
Old 10-27-16, 03:00 AM
shamdan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear noise with isf model is a common problem dealer not welling to deal with it

Originally Posted by Compthis
Is it possible it's the sway bar end link or bushing? My noise started just as you said, then started on the drivers too. Now I don't know 100% if that's the problem but when the car is on a hoist, everything looks and feels solid. You can drive without a swaybar, remove it and go for a drive and see if the noise goes away.
My recommendation is to escalate to lexus America and Japan because no real fix is found to be called successful, and dealers are not helpful, this is a design issue they are not welling to invest money to fix their problems with bad design, I have tried everything possible and all what they say now is this noise is normal and within spec, so am going to complain to corporate or they need to give me my money back with original purchase price
Old 11-08-16, 11:02 AM
jasole
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shamdan
My recommendation is to escalate to lexus America and Japan because no real fix is found to be called successful, and dealers are not helpful, this is a design issue they are not welling to invest money to fix their problems with bad design, I have tried everything possible and all what they say now is this noise is normal and within spec, so am going to complain to corporate or they need to give me my money back with original purchase price
Just like you suggested, I complained to corporate in California. I received a call back from them in two days, and they wanted me to go back to the dealer and have an FT check the car again. So I called the dealer to set up an appointment. They said they would call me back. It's been almost week. Still nothing.

I sent a PM to some of those who replied in this thread. Corporate wanted to know which dealers encountered this problem, and what repairs were made. Please reply if you can. Thank you so much!
Old 11-08-16, 01:06 PM
jasole
Driver School Candidate

Maybe I should just get a JoeZ exhaust to drown out the noise, but I'm afraid it won't do much because catbacks are not that loud.
Old 11-08-16, 01:32 PM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Sounds like you need headers too
Old 11-09-16, 08:16 AM
jasole
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Zelfiris
Sounds like you need headers too
How would I pass emissions? Actually, it's just an OBD2 test. They just got rid of tailpipe emissions testing in NJ.
Old 12-11-16, 05:07 PM
jasole
Driver School Candidate

I just wanted to give an update. I had my car repaired again by the dealer a few weeks ago. This time, the FTS (Mike S.) came out and test drove the car for two hours. Mike was the same FTS that told the dealer to replace the shocks last year but didn't actually test drive my car. This time, after clocking in 50 miles, he determined that the noise was coming from the rear spring (not shocks) so that was replaced along with some bushings. The previous repair didn't replace the spring, only the shocks and bushings.

Not only is the tapping noise gone now, but there's no squeaking sounds when going over speed bumps. From about a few years ago, I had "normal" suspension noises, but I attributed that to normal wear and tear. Now I realize that the spring had been defective for a few years. Fool is me.

Anyways, I'm just glad I can enjoy my ride in peace.

Also, I want to thank those who responded to my PMs. Thank you for helping me out!

BTW, how do you change the thread title to reflect that the problem has been solved?

Last edited by jasole; 12-11-16 at 05:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RXGS (12-11-16)