IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Dealer can't fix noise from rear suspension/brakes. (FIXED - post 44)

Old 08-11-15, 11:45 AM
jasole
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealer can't fix noise from rear suspension/brakes. (FIXED - post 44)

***Final Update Dec 2016***
My car is finally fixed. The cause of the noise was the rear spring, not the shocks. All is good.

***Update Aug 2016***
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but it's been about a year since the repair, and the noise is back! Unbelievable.

***2nd UPDATE***
Finally got my car back. The noise is gone. They replaced both rear shocks and a bunch of other stuff associated with them. 14 part numbers are listed. They swapped suspension components and disconnected the sway bar to pinpoint the noise. Finally, they had a technician ride in the trunk and put his hand on the shock top mount. He felt and heard the tapping noise. So the replaced the shock. Then they did went into the trunk again after the replacement and found it was also happening on the left side, but was not as noticeable. So they replaced the left side. All in all, it took 15 days and 50 miles of test driving to fix it. Just happy to get my car back in one peace.

***UPDATE***
The dealer replaced the rear right shock. Took them 7 days to do it because the shocks were allegedly on back order and had to get it from another dealer. Whatever. Anyways, after the replacement, now they are saying that the left rear is making the same noise. So, they have to order the rear left, which is also on national back order. Will take another week. Considering that I had already told them that I had heard the noise coming from the left side once in a while (but wasn't sure), they should have paid attention to it.
---------------------
Hello. Has anyone experienced an intermittent tapping noise coming from the rear right wheel when driving over bumps or uneven roads and/or lightly applying the brakes? This happens at all speeds but prevalent in low speeds (less than 15 mph and even going in reverse) and during warmer weather. It did not make noises over the winter. I have to assume whatever part is causing the noise needs to be warmed up.

The sound is similar to the noise when you hit the trunk release, but not as loud or high pitched. It will happen a few times after applying the brakes and/or when coming off a bump. Tap tap... tap... tap tap tap.

The dealer was told to replace the rear right shock by a Lexus FTS. Just before they were about to replace the shock, the FTS told them to swap the left and right rear suspension parts (not sure which ones). The tapping noise was still there from the same right rear side.

When there's a heavy passenger, the noise is not as frequent, which the dealer even said they verified. They used bricks for the car to drive over to confirm the noise and verified that adding a passenger makes the issue less apparent.

Anyone have any insight to this annoying issue? It's getting tiring dealing with them. Too many excuses and delays. I've been there four times already. I've spent way too many hours at the dealership.

Thanks fellas!

Last edited by jasole; 12-11-16 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Final update.
Old 08-11-15, 12:01 PM
CrazyTrain
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny you mention this. I hear an intermittent "bopping" sound under the same conditions. I've noticed it for about a year now, but always forget to mention it to my service advisor. Need to bring it up next time I take my car in for service. Since the noise stayed on the same side after the suspension component swap, I have a feeling that the sound is being generated by another part.
Old 08-11-15, 12:02 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jasole
Hello. Has anyone experienced an intermittent tapping noise coming from the rear right wheel when driving over bumps or uneven roads? This only happens at low speeds (less than 15 mph) and is most noticeable during warmer weather. It did not make noises over the winter.

The sound is similar to the noise when you hit the trunk release, but not as loud. It will happen a few times after applying the brakes OR when coming off a bump. Tap tap... tap... tap tap tap.

The dealer was told to replace the rear right shock by a Lexus FTS. Then the dealer was told to swap several suspension components from the rear left and right sides. The noise was still there from the same rear right.

I had always thought it was the brake calipers making the noise, but the dealer is saying it's the suspension. Yet, they couldn't locate the sound even they supposedly attached microphones to record it.

Anyone have any insight to this annoying issue? Thank you.

N.B. When there is a passenger, the noise doesn't manifest itself as often, especially when the passenger is heavy.
Is it possible it's the sway bar end link or bushing? My noise started just as you said, then started on the drivers too. Now I don't know 100% if that's the problem but when the car is on a hoist, everything looks and feels solid. You can drive without a swaybar, remove it and go for a drive and see if the noise goes away.
Old 08-11-15, 12:07 PM
Helo58
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a car (not the IS F) where the gas tank was moving around slightly but making a "clunking" noise. It only did it when the tank was full. Maybe check this out and see if there is any correlation with tank full/tank empty.
The following users liked this post:
Mitho1991 (05-11-23)
Old 08-11-15, 12:36 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Man this is frustrating when you go to a dealer and they tell you they know there is a problem but they cant fix it. They pulled this BS on me with my LS460 and a vibration issue. I told the manager , " well, should I take my 75k flagship Lexus sedan to Pep Boys, WTF !?!?"
Old 08-11-15, 02:34 PM
jasole
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Compthis
Is it possible it's the sway bar end link or bushing? My noise started just as you said, then started on the drivers too. Now I don't know 100% if that's the problem but when the car is on a hoist, everything looks and feels solid. You can drive without a swaybar, remove it and go for a drive and see if the noise goes away.
Thanks. I will bring up that suggestion to them. But I'm not sure if that's the problem because the noise also happens without the car hitting bumps. It even does it when I reverse on smooth pavement.
Old 08-11-15, 02:36 PM
jasole
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CrazyTrain
Funny you mention this. I hear an intermittent "bopping" sound under the same conditions. I've noticed it for about a year now, but always forget to mention it to my service advisor. Need to bring it up next time I take my car in for service. Since the noise stayed on the same side after the suspension component swap, I have a feeling that the sound is being generated by another part.
Please explain bopping. My noise is a hollow tapping...similar to the trunk release sound. Almost a clicking noise, but tapping is more appropriate.
Old 08-11-15, 02:37 PM
jasole
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Helo58
I had a car (not the IS F) where the gas tank was moving around slightly but making a "clunking" noise. It only did it when the tank was full. Maybe check this out and see if there is any correlation with tank full/tank empty.
Thanks. I will let them know. I haven't noticed it becoming louder when the tank was empty.
Old 08-11-15, 02:39 PM
jasole
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Man this is frustrating when you go to a dealer and they tell you they know there is a problem but they cant fix it. They pulled this BS on me with my LS460 and a vibration issue. I told the manager , " well, should I take my 75k flagship Lexus sedan to Pep Boys, WTF !?!?"
So, how did it end up for you? Did they finally fix the problem?
Old 08-11-15, 05:32 PM
ISFTOMMY
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had this it was the rear shock that needed to be replaced.
Old 08-12-15, 09:23 AM
CrazyTrain
Pole Position

Please explain bopping. My noise is a hollow tapping...similar to the trunk release sound. Almost a clicking noise, but tapping is more appropriate.
Yeah, it's similar to the trunk release sound. It's hard to explain except that it sounds like a plunger almost.
Old 08-12-15, 06:18 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

So, how did it end up for you? Did they finally fix the problem?
NOPE !! They are trying to say it could be normal because its an F !! So pissed. I am trying to get another member to send me a video of their car idling with the AC on so they see its not normal for the rpm to jump 150 rpm every 10 seconds and drop.

I told them if they cant fix it then I want the Lexus engineers to look at it. I am so tired of the dealers who don't really do **** other than maintenance and oil changes. If it gets out of the regular easy BS they just say we don't know what the issue is and go away
Old 08-13-15, 09:26 AM
CrazyTrain
Pole Position

Scheduled a road test at my dealership in 2 weeks. Hopefully they can pinpoint the source of the sound and repair it.
Old 08-13-15, 11:02 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

In the medical field they train doctors with an old expression...." when you hear hoof steps you need to think horses not zebras". Meaning when you diagnose an issue look for the more obvious or likely. Our problem is we have a zebra kind of issue and these clowns are all used to just looking for horses .
Old 08-13-15, 11:13 AM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

My car does this as well. And I've noticed abnormal wear in my rear tire where it is coming from. I'll look into the rear shock as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealer can't fix noise from rear suspension/brakes. (FIXED - post 44)