IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Test drove this 2012 ISF in Boston area

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-15, 12:06 PM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Test drove this 2012 ISF in Boston area

1st time drove ISF. Really like the exterior and the engine, a bit dated interior though...thats said if anyone is looking for a well maintained ISF, this is not the one Car is in pretty rough shape as it is unless they do the fixes and touch-ups etc. Price is also fixed at $37k. I passed.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...58/overview/#1

Last edited by kolyan; 08-10-15 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-10-15, 01:04 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by kolyan
1st time drove ISF. Really like the exterior and the engine, a bit dated interior though...thats said if anyone is looking for a well maintained ISF, this is not the one Car is in pretty rough shape as it is unless they do the fixes and touch-ups etc. Price is also fixed at $37k. I passed.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...58/overview/#1
Why do you feel the car is rough shape? What's wrong with it? Just curious, it looks good in the photos. The oil and coolant temps are where they need to be. Did it come with maintenance records?

Why do you feel the interior is outdated? What's wrong with the interior?
Old 08-10-15, 01:44 PM
kukimonsta
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks decent to me, and only one owner...miles a bit high but price reflects. enter the vin into lexus owners site and see what records are on the car since it was a lease...
Old 08-10-15, 01:55 PM
kolyan
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
Why do you feel the car is rough shape? What's wrong with it? Just curious, it looks good in the photos. The oil and coolant temps are where they need to be. Did it come with maintenance records?

Why do you feel the interior is outdated? What's wrong with the interior?
Well this interior dates back to 2006 I think so its a bit outdated when compared to newer Lexus models.

As far as rough shape....where to begin lol. It looks like its being driven by one of the guys (manager maybe) from dealership, oil is on low side with maintenance or oil light ON (not a big deal), it has winter tires, one tire has bubble, drivers seat looks like has multiple cigarette burns, rear trunk has a big size dent (hard to see on pictures), Carfax and Autocheck are clean...but car was in accident with crappy job done after accident....front bumper is painted with some broken clips on one side (its also damaged by dealership recently so they will most likely get new one), rear bumper is also painted with paint pilling off, hood is miss-alighted (thats 1st thing I noticed, not sure if its supposed to be this way but its "pulled" down too much), car also has after market intake (I personally hate those), needs brake + rotor job too (at least the fronts), roof is also wrapped in black (didnt care much about this), windows are tinted with tint pilling off (no big deal), dashboard has noisy rattle around glove box too.

Other things I noticed but maybe its supposed to be this way: rear tires are 255s but rim is sticking out too much, suspension and exhaust was told are stock but it seems a bit too loud maybe due to intake mod, rides rougher then my S2000 too.

They can probably get away selling it if: front and rear bumpers are fixed right, rear dent is pulled, tires are replaced, brakes + rotors + oil jobs are done, tint is pilled off

Last edited by kolyan; 08-10-15 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-10-15, 02:17 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Well this interior dates back to 2006 I think so its a bit outdated when compared to newer Lexus models.

As far as rough shape....where to begin lol. It looks like its being driven by one of the guys (manager maybe) from dealership, oil is on low side with maintenance or oil light ON (not a big deal), it has winter tires, one tire has bubble, drivers seat looks like has multiple cigarette burns, rear trunk has a big size dent (hard to see on pictures), Carfax and Autocheck are clean...but car was in accident with crappy job done after accident....front bumper is painted with some broken clips on one size (its also damaged by dealership recently so they will most likely get new one), rear bumper is also painted with paint pilling off, hood is miss-alighted (thats 1st thing I noticed, not sure if its supposed to be this way but its "pulled" down too much), car also has after market intake (I personally hate those), needs brake + rotor job too (at least the fronts), roof is also wrapped in black (didnt care much about this), windows are tinted with tint pilling off (no big deal), dashboard has noisy rattle around glove box too.

Other things I noticed but maybe its supposed to be this way: rear tires are 255s but rim is sticking out too much, suspension and exhaust was told are stock but it seems a bit too loud maybe due to intake mod, rides rougher then my S2000 too.

They can probably get away selling it if: front and rear bumpers are fixed right, rear dent is pulled, tires are replaced, brakes + rotors + oil jobs are done, tint is pilled off
Sounds like you know how to examine a car, I can always appreciate that.

It's sad to hear a 2012 IS-F is in that condition. The maintenance light is one thing, the oil light is a WHOLE other issue to me. These cars are pretty reliable. Just curious what happened with this car. As a lover of high performance cars and automobiles, I am always curious what a particular car went through.

Sounds like the car needs some MAJOR work to bring it back to where it was before.

The interior was refreshed in 2011, it's fairly simple but not outdated IMO.

Anyways, I enjoyed reading your review of the car.

Last edited by 2URGSE; 08-10-15 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-10-15, 02:20 PM
JdSwiper
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn... You could see all that on a test drive??? Holly crap!
Old 08-10-15, 02:21 PM
kukimonsta
Driver School Candidate

wow, could not see any of that in the pics...did they photoshop the car?
Old 08-10-15, 02:31 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Makes me want to buy this car and flip it, it will need $8,000 to $9,000 worth of work at the least.

Paint and body alone would be 4-5K, brakes another 2K, new seat another grand.........I wonder if the motor is having issues.

Tint job, $300, new intake assembly.......ohhhh another $700.

If they sold the car for high 20's, than yeah.

Last edited by 2URGSE; 08-10-15 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-10-15, 02:38 PM
kolyan
Advanced

Sounds like you know how to examine a car, I can always appreciate that.

It's sad to hear a 2012 IS-F is in that condition. The maintenance light is one thing, the oil light is a WHOLE other issue to me. These cars are pretty reliable. Just curious what happened with this car. As a lover of high performance cars and automobiles, I am always curious what a particular car went through.

Sounds like the car needs some MAJOR work to bring it back to where it was before.

The interior was refreshed in 2011, it's fairly simple but not outdated IMO.

Anyways, I enjoyed reading your review of the car.
Originally Posted by kukimonsta
wow, could not see any of that in the pics...did they photoshop the car?

Its probably the maintenance light (dont remember now) I checked oil and it was at the low mark. Miss-aligned hood and damage on both bumpers is what through me off the most. My car has 75k and its 2006 which I park outside, its in better shape then this Lexus. Not sure why hood is like that, for example my S2000 has somewhat miss-alighted bumpers but its normal for this car. Is it normal for ISF to have the hood pulled down too much that its not even with fenders ?

As far as getting it all done, dont know whats dealers next step, I am pretty sure they will do brakes/rotors job and new front bumper, also at least 1 tire needs to be replaced to pass inspection (but I would prefer all new summer tires instead). I dont think its a big deal for them to fix this car up, but its not easy to look passed all that once you see it in that condition.

Last edited by kolyan; 08-10-15 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-10-15, 02:40 PM
kolyan
Advanced

Makes me want to buy this car and flip it, it will need $8,000 to $9,000 worth of work at the least.

Paint and body alone would be 4-5K, brakes another 2K, new seat another grand.........I wonder if the motor is having issues.

Tint job, $300, new intake assembly.......ohhhh another $700.

If they sold the car for high 20's, than yeah.
Engine was fine, and it drove great too, aside from a bit rougher then expected suspension (over inflated tires maybe), and brakes that are no good
Old 08-10-15, 02:43 PM
2URGSE
Racer

I just checked AutoTrader and there are plenty of 2012's and 2013's around, especially around the Southern States, 1 or 2 in California.

You should have no issues finding the right IS-F.
Old 08-11-15, 09:32 AM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

I am the same way when I inspect cars. Looks like interior is a little warn in the pictures.

Also test drive the crap out of it to make sure it seems sound.
Old 08-13-15, 02:15 PM
kolyan
Advanced

lol its $40k now. I guess they needed to budget in all stuff they need to fix
Old 08-13-15, 05:52 PM
2URGSE
Racer

lol its $40k now. I guess they needed to budget in all stuff they need to fix
3K to fix everything you mentioned? Unless they got hookups, it will probably be another crappy fix job.

Don't buy that car, unless you're going to fix it yourself the RIGHT way.

I would throw them an offer at 32K and see if they bite.
Old 08-13-15, 06:01 PM
kolyan
Advanced

3K to fix everything you mentioned? Unless they got hookups, it will probably be another crappy fix job.

Don't buy that car, unless you're going to fix it yourself the RIGHT way.

I would throw them an offer at 32K and see if they bite.
Well its Lexus dealership so they probably do have the hookups... $32k is not gonna fly, that dealer chain has no negotiation policy, so their prices are fixed

Quick Reply: Test drove this 2012 ISF in Boston area