IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Done with this Darn Forum and Board!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-15, 11:23 AM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Done with this Darn Forum and Board!

OK, the title may be a little harsh and misleading but really, I think I am done with this damn board and let me tell you why.

Everytime I read about another member's car issue here, those issues mysteriously freaking appear in my car within a month! I have a 2008 (bought in 09) and I had no leaky water pump until I read about it on this board several years back and 2 weeks later, I see red crust. I read about the display needles on the speedo and/or tach becoming partially burned out. Less than week later, my inner tach needle light burns out. I read about members headlamp bulbs burning out and the cost to repair and it not covered under warranty and then later that week, I pull in my garage and I see only one light. I read about the radio/display/control unit freezing and in less than a month, bahm, unit locked up. I read about the random engine ticking and kept my ear out for that one and was appreciative because I did not have it while it seemed several members did and then within weeks, a rapid but intermittent tap-a-tap-tap. The other day I read about the door panels improperly wearing and Lexus replacing under good-faith other IS models but not the ISF and I go to look at mine, and all four have issues and nobody sits in the back! I thought what I was seeing was from the window tint I had recently replaced but it was not dried soap or water. Looks like it should just wipe up like a smear but it is engraved it seems. Then yesterday I read something about the exterior rubber button cover for the trunk wearing and degrading. I pop my trunk to take out my tennis bag last night and the rubber cracks! It was not cracked when I put my bag in earlier that day.

I do not know guys. I know many of you are very knowledgable and that is what keeps me lurking around this board but damn, I think this site has got some bad voodoo or something going on with me and my F...

With all the above said, I still enjoy the hell out of this car but am curious to see what sport sedans Lexus is going to make available over the next 3 years.

Last edited by mr2dave; 07-23-15 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-23-15, 11:28 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

did you get a chance to read the "Just F Me" member's thread where his transmission blew up?
Old 07-23-15, 11:43 AM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Haha i feel ya. I was just discussing with my dad the other day that i hate reading about issues on the forum because ill inevitabily have them - i have a 2008 thats number four hundred something.
Just think of the forum as a crystal ball, who doesnt want a crystal ball!!
Old 07-23-15, 11:49 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpat
did you get a chance to read the "Just F Me" member's thread where his transmission blew up?
damn u pat, now he's going to search it and read it and then bam...just kidding....
Old 07-23-15, 11:55 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Stop reading 'problem' threads. Instead, look for threads pertaining to mods.
Old 07-23-15, 11:57 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Haha Pat I see what you did there
Old 07-23-15, 11:59 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

ignorance is bliss.
Old 07-23-15, 12:04 PM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Maybe if you start reading the member classified section, random parts will start showing up on your door step.
Old 07-23-15, 12:09 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 699 Likes on 613 Posts

This happens to me with modding. Monkey see monkey do. lol .

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 07-23-15, 12:10 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Y dont you read in those up grade threads ? to see if you have after market parts ? lolz . Life is short , just enjoy what you have and be happy . The wears and tears that everyone have to go thru, there's no exception. However, there are members like to take extra care for their belongings
Old 07-23-15, 12:18 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

The engine ticking sound is hit or miss, and very difficult to capture, even when attempting to address it with a service tech. But it has been documented. A leaky water pump that can be serviced under warranty or even out of pocket/DIY for relatively cheap, tach needle and navigation unit needing to be replaced, headlamp bulbs that do not take too long to replace, and an exterior rubber button that needs to be addressed...primarily most of these are cosmetic or barely electrical. In truth, no car is perfect and the IS F certainly isn't without parts that are bound to fail or die. But will it leave you stranded on a road? Will it intermittently start up? Will you as the owner need to frequent a dealer's service department for persistent problems? I'm willing to be "no" on all counts.

I will take all of your "issues", and it won't compare to needing to take apart the engine or transmission (minus the isolated case of the one IS F that needed major repairs), or the frequent visiting of dealers just to diagnose and fix the major things that mechanically make up a car. Things are bound to happen over the course of ownership. Wear and tear will take place. But for a performance car that has been out on the market for nearly 8 years, and there are so few mechanical or even electrical problems- there really isn't another automaker out there that has done as good a job. And remember, the IS F improved year after year. It's not foolproof, but it will endure and be as close to trouble-free as a car can be.
Old 07-23-15, 12:49 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL best post ever!!!g
Old 07-23-15, 12:57 PM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you stay negative, negative things will happen. I say go hit the bowl!
Old 07-23-15, 01:19 PM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Guys,

Appreciate the input and I agree with or do everything that has been stated.

Maybe I should be a little clearer that I think/know the F is a great piece of engineering and workmanship and I will take all the problems I have had and then some over being stranded or the fear of being stranded (yeah, I did the BMW thing). I was not complaining about the minor issues I have had, it is the freaking voodoo-jinx this board has seemed to place on me and my readings...

Last edited by mr2dave; 07-23-15 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-23-15, 01:46 PM
teamcalvin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hahahahaha I was ready for you to blow up on mods! but it's okay, it only gets better brotha

Quick Reply: Done with this Darn Forum and Board!