Old 10-29-15, 03:45 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,366 Likes on 624 Posts

Originally Posted by clarionguy
Any potential "flaws" by running this in the cold Canadian weather? lol

I recently installed:

FIGS LCA, F-sport rear Sway bar, and KW V3 coilovers
Now that the temperature has dropped I am started to hear squeaking - cannot determine from what yet!
Squeak free for 3-4 months until last two weeks

I bought the version 2, it has still been sitting in the box - have not had a chance to install it yet...
You wont see nearly as much accumulation using the AOS in winter weather, but its not going to do any harm. The AOS is intended for aggressive street driving and track use. In the winter, we generally are limited with how hard we can run on the street, and with the low oil temps, you should see much less oil accumulation.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 11-24-15, 10:10 AM
lascola8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on the AOS

So I am hoping you guys can add your thoughts. I am not a track driver and I dont think I run the car that hard....use it as my daily driver and live in CA.

Within the past few months I have been getting smoke (looks like oil) on the start up every once and awhile. Took it to Lexus and they said nothing was wrong. Took it again and they couldnt get it to replicate the problem. Then recently moved to CA and took it to one of the tuner shops recommended in the forms they said it was a small amount of oil in the intake so they replaced my PCV. They said if that didnt fix the problem it would have to be a catch can solution. Thus bringing me to my question. Does this solution seem like its something that will solve my problem? Does my problem seem right?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-24-15, 11:11 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

I would say YES. Surprised to see the smoke on start up. Usually that only happens with extreme use and temps . Im sure Rafi will chime in here soon
Old 11-24-15, 11:26 AM
lascola8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I would say YES. Surprised to see the smoke on start up. Usually that only happens with extreme use and temps . Im sure Rafi will chime in here soon

Thanks for the response. I ordered the part and look forward to seeing if this fixes it. Just thought it was odd as I couldn't find anyone talking about the problem unless they were track guys.

Look forward to see what others think as well.
Old 11-24-15, 11:54 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by lascola8
Thanks for the response. I ordered the part and look forward to seeing if this fixes it. Just thought it was odd as I couldn't find anyone talking about the problem unless they were track guys.

Look forward to see what others think as well.
From what I have learned through a little research and from Rafi I think it will address the issue. The price is right AND it will help maintain the cleanliness of the engine
Old 11-25-15, 06:33 AM
cwajciec
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I added a homebrew separator to my PCV system to test it on a recent track day. I took one of those ebay units that you can take the top off and modified it with SS wool and a dip leg to help in separation. After 3 sessions (1.5 hours) the catch can was half full; assuming about 350ml. once half full and after emptying the can I got a big puff of blue smoke out of the car when I started it. Maybe I need to work on the baffling a bit.

I had to empty it 3 times in the course of the weekend and add a quart of oil. The can caught more than 1 quart over the course of the weekend, so the balance was definitely fuel. See attached picture.

One question/concern I have, is if the catch can actually encourages more oil to be drawn from the pcv by acting as a vacuum storage device? It is hard for me to believe that my intake ingested a quart of oil during my track sessions before I installed this separator.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone have experience with the RR Racing Air/Oil Separator-catch-can.jpg  
Old 11-25-15, 08:42 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

I think this would be a good time for Rafi (RR Racing) to jump in and answer some of the technical questions for you
Old 11-25-15, 09:34 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,366 Likes on 624 Posts

Originally Posted by lascola8
So I am hoping you guys can add your thoughts. I am not a track driver and I dont think I run the car that hard....use it as my daily driver and live in CA.

Within the past few months I have been getting smoke (looks like oil) on the start up every once and awhile. Took it to Lexus and they said nothing was wrong. Took it again and they couldnt get it to replicate the problem. Then recently moved to CA and took it to one of the tuner shops recommended in the forms they said it was a small amount of oil in the intake so they replaced my PCV. They said if that didnt fix the problem it would have to be a catch can solution. Thus bringing me to my question. Does this solution seem like its something that will solve my problem? Does my problem seem right?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

As far as non-track benefits from the AOS, we see quite a variability with how guys drive on the street. We have local customer who does not track his car ever, but in the summer months sees a lot of oil accumulation. Guys who don't push their cars see only a few tablespoons accumulate per month.... so it varies.

As far as day to day driving, there is no question the AOS keeps the intake manifold clean. I have popped the TB open on several occasions, and the intake manifold is totally dry.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 12-10-15, 09:26 AM
lascola8
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the heads up. I decided to go with the purchase and did the install. We will just have to put it to the test. Seems like a great quality part and was easy to install so thank you.

Originally Posted by RRRacing
As far as non-track benefits from the AOS, we see quite a variability with how guys drive on the street. We have local customer who does not track his car ever, but in the summer months sees a lot of oil accumulation. Guys who don't push their cars see only a few tablespoons accumulate per month.... so it varies.

As far as day to day driving, there is no question the AOS keeps the intake manifold clean. I have popped the TB open on several occasions, and the intake manifold is totally dry.

Rafi
Old 12-11-15, 02:59 AM
Greatest
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I don't track my car. I drive it fairly easy with a daily wot (or two)when merging, or close to wot. My main reason for getting this would be for long term reliability as I plan on literally keeping this car until it's done. It is mostly my daily driver but it's an 08 and I have 41000 miles.
So is this worth it for my needs? Obviously, I'm asking for and value your opinions. I'm actually a long time member but couldn't login under my old name.

Also, in the pic the guy took with the intake sitting next to the separator is the little breather filter in the middle of the hoses for the intake? Is that because that type of intake does away with the rerouting of the air back into the intake that many intakes don't have? I have read a lot and searched but may have missed this. Thanks
Old 12-11-15, 12:29 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Greatest
So I don't track my car. I drive it fairly easy with a daily wot (or two)when merging, or close to wot. My main reason for getting this would be for long term reliability as I plan on literally keeping this car until it's done. It is mostly my daily driver but it's an 08 and I have 41000 miles.
So is this worth it for my needs? Obviously, I'm asking for and value your opinions. I'm actually a long time member but couldn't login under my old name.

Also, in the pic the guy took with the intake sitting next to the separator is the little breather filter in the middle of the hoses for the intake? Is that because that type of intake does away with the rerouting of the air back into the intake that many intakes don't have? I have read a lot and searched but may have missed this. Thanks
Post #203 seems to answer the first part of your question.
Old 12-11-15, 03:20 PM
Greatest
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kzlflash
Post #203 seems to answer the first part of your question.
Oh yeah. Thanks. I did read that but wanted some input from consumers of the product. I'm sure Rafi is honest I just wanted so other opinions.
Old 10-21-16, 10:09 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just want to be clear. I am in no way bashing RR Racing, I'm just sharing my experience.

I had the RR Racing AOS on an RCF which was solely street driven. The unit didn't seem to do much to be perfectly honest. In all of the driving that was performed the can was pretty clean without any accumulation of oil vapor or condensation. I could still se traces of vapor in the intake so I came to the conclusion that there could be improvements.

I decided to build a custom system on both the RCF and my friends ISF using a different can that I use in many other applications made by Radium Engineering. I used the dual can setup and used one can for the manifold side when the PCV is open and the other for the intake tube to get suction under load so the crankcase measure negative pressure. These cans are o-ring sealed so there is no risk of vac leaks either.

Major improvement, the results were almost alarming. Within about a month of normal street driving there was significant accumulation in the cans, one of them being half full. I'm not in the business of building a specific kit for these cars to sell to the public, but if anyone is having issues and are technically capable I would recommend doing something similar to what I did.
Old 10-21-16, 10:18 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would actually love to see the kit you put together.
Old 10-21-16, 10:21 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin727
I would actually love to see the kit you put together.

I'll go through my phone and try to dig up the pics. I did this about a year ago.

Quick Reply: Anyone have experience with the RR Racing Air/Oil Separator