2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Upgrading brakes

The factory pads are a bit worn.....

Just ordered:

-StopTech front pads
-StopTech rear pads
-StopTech stainless lines (front and rear)
-StopTech Street brake fluid

Rotors were measured and are good.

Let me know what you think. I can take some photos of the install.
Old 06-08-15, 11:33 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I run Stoptech pads - they work great, no noise and dust a little less than stock. Good street pad.
Old 06-08-15, 12:33 PM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Same setup here but with figs rotors, love it
Old 06-08-15, 02:39 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

i'm not sure its an upgrade lolz , Project MU yeah :P
Old 06-08-15, 03:05 PM
M4rk
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Vervish
I run Stoptech pads - they work great, no noise and dust a little less than stock. Good street pad.
Aside from Project Mu, what are other low-dust and readily available options that ideally retain OE brake feel?
Old 06-08-15, 04:57 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Dang it, ran out of time on this project. Car is shipping to NC on Saturday and I won't have it until 06/22.
Old 06-08-15, 06:02 PM
JoseM81
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which site has these for the best price?
Old 06-08-15, 07:37 PM
scsisf
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by M4rk
Aside from Project Mu, what are other low-dust and readily available options that ideally retain OE brake feel?
Check out Porterfield pads. Low dust and they grip real nice. I used to run only Hawk pads on all my cars, but I'm a fan of these now.
Old 06-08-15, 09:23 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Originally Posted by JoseM81
Which site has these for the best price?
I bought everything at Autoanything.com
Old 06-09-15, 04:24 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Hey Guys, not sure how you use your brakes, but I have tested the Stoptech pads on track days and I can tell you they will not hold up. I think that even the OEM Brembo pads are better. I personally like Hawk, particularly the new HP-Plus compound they have available for the IS-F Brembos.

We also just released this floating 2 piece Competition Rotor Upgrade, as well as titanium back plates, and 4 Piston rear brake caliper upgrade.

-Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 06-09-15, 10:01 AM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

I've been running StopTech pads on Centric rotors for about a month. Great grip, dust is not bad. Go for it!
Old 06-09-15, 10:18 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Stop tech pads are great for street driving and very light track duty from what I seen.

Rockauto.com had good prices on those pads
Old 06-09-15, 10:18 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing
Hey Guys, not sure how you use your brakes, but I have tested the Stoptech pads on track days and I can tell you they will not hold up. I think that even the OEM Brembo pads are better. I personally like Hawk, particularly the new HP-Plus compound they have available for the IS-F Brembos.

We also just released this floating 2 piece Competition Rotor Upgrade, as well as titanium back plates, and 4 Piston rear brake caliper upgrade.

-Rafi
Have not heard of you guys, any more information on the 2 piece rotors?
Old 06-09-15, 10:59 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Though most of my focus in on testing track compounds, I have still tested and used a fair amount of aggressive street or "hybrid" compounds. The most relevant compounds I have direct experience with are Porterfield R4-S, Ferodo DS2500, Project Mu HC+ 800, Hawk HP+, Stoptech Street Perfomance and Endless MX72.

The stoptech streets are most definitely the best option for an aggressive street pad in that price range but if you're willing to spend more and/or place a larger emphasis on other characteristics in a pad then there is better out there. Ferodo DS2500 is similar to the stoptechs in terms of dust output but offers a slightly more aggressive initial bite and friction levels. The Hawk HP+ is pretty antiquated, IMO- it produces more dust and noise than many modern race compounds. It has a solid initial bite and friction levels for street tires but has a narrow operating temperature range and the heat tolerance is on the low side. Another thing I did not like about the HP+ is that when you push them past their maximum operating temperature they don't fade gradually like many other compounds… the friction levels just fall off a cliff. If you don't mind spending the money there is a clear winner in the category, though. The Endless MX72. It is one of the most versatile compounds- essentially being a street pad that possesses some race pad characteristics. We have been using these on a daily driver Audi S4 for over 20,000 miles including a many "spirited" mountain runs and even a few sessions at Thunderhill, Sonoma Raceway and Laguna Seca. They aren't track pads by any means but they hold up much better during really aggressive street use and on track than any street pad I've ever abused. Experienced track drivers should know to run full track pads but I can comfortably say that these would work well for pretty much all beginner to intermediate level drivers even on tracks that are hard on brakes. The performance exceeds anything in the category across the board but it does so without sacrificing the street manners and the day to day drivability- they are low dusting, noise free when properly bedded and seem to be lasting a while as well. The downside is the cost, they aren't cheap but nothing on this car is necessarily cheap and if you care about braking feel then I think its worth it. We carry all the brands mentioned and as always have additional discounts for our friends on here.

-Matt M.

Last edited by SpeedFreaksUSA; 06-15-15 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-10-15, 02:58 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Interesting feedback Speed Freak thanks.

How would you rate the Project Mu NS400 pads compared to the Fredo DS2500 and the HP+ or Endless MX72?

Quick Reply: Upgrading brakes