IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF hit curb

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-15, 05:36 PM
09lexyblac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ISF hit curb

hey guys, i am a new member on this site, I've read tons of good information on this site already and i am very happy to have found you guys!

i have a question regarding my isf. a few months ago this car hit a curb going around a turn very hard. rear passenger side had all suspension arms broken in two, the axle shaft joint blew apart, the only thing that was still good was the strut and shock assembly.
so i replaced all parts with new ones including the axle shaft, all lexus parts from local dealer. and now the problem is that the abs and traction control and (!) and check vsc lights are on.
i plugged in scanner and it tells me its the rear drive sensor irratic, i did not see a tone ring on the new axle shaft and then i looked at the old one and it also didn't have one. the abs sensor rides right close to the axle shaft, my question is do you know anything about internal tone rings ? is it a possibility that the car just needs to be plugged in at lexus and them program a new axle shaft into it? The sensor is physically in good shape and the wiring didn't appear damaged from the incident.
If anyone has any information on abs sensor or axle shaft tone rings please help :S
Old 04-22-15, 05:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

either way you really should have a dealer look at it. Best of luck
Old 04-22-15, 07:03 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,078 Likes on 2,471 Posts

The wheel speed sensor is not serviceable. If yours is unreliable, you'll have to replace the entire hub. From the sounds of it, you already did, and the one you have now is defective.
Old 04-22-15, 11:14 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Maybe not defective, just needs a dealer to calibrate/reset possibly??

I'd get a local dealer to take a look.

Hope you get it figured out mate.

Cheers.

Peter
Old 04-23-15, 06:44 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by PDP180180
Maybe not defective, just needs a dealer to calibrate/reset possibly??

I'd get a local dealer to take a look.

Hope you get it figured out mate.

Cheers.

Peter
No such animal. I have Techstream on my laptop. There is no calibration for wheel speed. Either is works or it doesn't. Having a bad sensor is very unusual. I would be inspecting the connector and the wire very carefully.
Old 04-23-15, 08:29 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No such animal. I have Techstream on my laptop. There is no calibration for wheel speed. Either is works or it doesn't. Having a bad sensor is very unusual. I would be inspecting the connector and the wire very carefully.
Understood.

Thought it was a bit odd to have something like this not work after it was replaced??

Sound advice on checking the connector and wiring closely.

Hopefully the op gets it sorted soon.
Old 04-25-15, 08:18 AM
09lexyblac
Driver School Candidate

car is going into the local dealership on monday morning! i told the service writer that the axle shaft was replaced and he said its common for sensors to not pick up on a new ring. he is sure that its a programming of that shaft into the car computer that will fix the problem. i will re-post when i have other news!
my car is now Aligned, fenders are rolled to accommodate the wider stands and the only thing left is the lights on the dash!
Old 04-25-15, 09:07 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 09lexyblac
car is going into the local dealership on monday morning! i told the service writer that the axle shaft was replaced and he said its common for sensors to not pick up on a new ring. he is sure that its a programming of that shaft into the car computer that will fix the problem. i will re-post when i have other news!
my car is now Aligned, fenders are rolled to accommodate the wider stands and the only thing left is the lights on the dash!
He's blowing smoke. There is no such calibration. He's going to troubleshoot and fix a bad connection, bad sensor installation, or damaged sensor. I have Techstream on my laptop. There is no calibration for wheel speed sensors, there is only a check for signal present/intermittent/not present. If it is intermittent as you say, the connector and the wiring harness are primary suspects, installation of the sensor is second, and damage or debris on the tip of the sensor are last.
Old 04-25-15, 07:45 PM
09lexyblac
Driver School Candidate

Lobuxracer, i have been looking for someone who knows about these cars like you do. well here is a question, when i put everything back together in the rear right corner of the car, i noticed that my old cb shaft did not have a tone ring, the sensor is installed into the suspension "knuckle", there is an ear at the end of the sensor and it can only be installed one way. the sensor tip rides right close to the axle shaft and there is no physical tone ring anywhere to be seen. thats what I'm confused about, the connection looks good, theres no wrong way of installing the sensor, and i cannot see a tone ring anywhere, and i think thats where the problem may be. but if it is something as simple as the sensor then it shouldn't be an issue to fix.
Old 04-25-15, 07:49 PM
09lexyblac
Driver School Candidate

oh yea i forgot to tell you guys that after the rapair was done, new wheels got installed, fenders got rolled to accommodate the wider stands and the car has been aligned with top technology at a dealership where they do high performance vehicles and the car is safe and sounds, the sensor/tone ring issue is the only thing left!
Old 04-26-15, 10:28 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

The tone ring is built into the inner race of the wheel bearing, so if the connector and wiring are sound, and the sensor is fully flush with the mount, then the only thing left is the sensor itself.
Old 05-20-21, 12:45 PM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Lance - I'm having same issues w/my IS-F. Couldn't find anything via this scan tool, which has otherwise been invaluable w/additional "Toyota PID's" pack added.

Any advice on troubleshooting via OBD without ripping every corner apart to test via scan tool?

FWIW, I'd replaced front hubs a couple years back while hunting down a noise, and old hubs were fine, but with all the track time figured it was already done and cheap insurance... Hope I kept the old hubs!

(Hate to revive such an old thread btw, but hey that's what search is for, right?)
Old 05-20-21, 07:58 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

So you're seeing DTCs related to wheel speed sensors? Anything else changed recently?

Ideally you'd have access to Techstream as it will read wheel speed directly from each of the corners and you'll be able to datalog and see where the problem lies. There is a procedure for putting the system into test mode without Techstream, then testing each of the components while reading the flashes of the ABS warning light. This will allow you to determine which wheel speed sensor(s) is/are failing to send a good signal to the skid ECU.