IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Throttle response with aftermarket HPS/JOEZ intake tubes...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-14, 01:17 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Throttle response with aftermarket HPS/JOEZ intake tubes...

I had a chance to try both the HPS silicone and JoeZ intake tubes, both used in combination with the stock panel and AFE oiled filter.

Under WOT, the car feels similar to the stock intake, well actually pretty much identical in sound and seat of the pants acceleration.

But....under partial throttle, between 1500-3600 before the dual stage intake opens up, it felt like I lost power. Like the car seems to lug, throttle response seems to lag.

I tried resetting the ECU, switching between stock panel and AFE filters with no difference. Actually the combo that felt the laggiest was the HPS+AFE combo.

Once I put the stock intake pipe in, throttle response immediately became sharp again between those RPM ranges.

I've PM'd Caymandiver about my results and he has concluded that all these intakes for our cars have questionable results so I'm pretty much convinced the stock intake is absolutely the best. He also holds the quickest N/A IS-F record and all done with the stock intake so that's good enough proof for me.

Question is, any of you experience anything similar? I'm talking part throttle driving, does it feel like you lost throttle response/power in the lower RPM ranges?

Last edited by RSXiMUS; 10-26-14 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-27-14, 06:59 AM
Kojak77
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HPS tube with AFE dry filter here....I haven't noticed any lost power in the 1500-3600 range.
Old 10-27-14, 07:47 AM
mattbeeezy
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the carson tuned tube... pretty much the same as the HPS with a AFE dry air filter, I haven't notice a difference either but I might just be used to driving on it....I going to pull off my carson tube and try the stock tube and see if there was a noticeable difference.
Old 10-27-14, 08:11 AM
MGordo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Instead of going by your 'butt dyno' why not try logging? (Torque/Techstream/etc)

Shouldnt be tough to record the MAF readings for both... that should tell you if its a placebo.
Old 10-27-14, 08:11 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The area where your looking for throttle response really isnt where the motor is setup to make power and be responsive. Reset the ECM and drive spiritedly during the calibration process and you should see a noticeable improvement.
Old 10-27-14, 11:36 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 701 Likes on 615 Posts

I have the HPS intake , youre not going to be able to tell a difference from 5 hp.. get headers and exhaust.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 10-27-14, 12:07 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by joshhleee
I have the HPS intake , youre not going to be able to tell a difference from 5 hp.. get headers and exhaust.
Completely agree. The butt dyno only feels once you're around a 10-15% gain.
The following users liked this post:
Hassled1 (08-18-19)
Old 10-27-14, 12:30 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 10-27-14, 12:49 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Swacer
Completely agree. The butt dyno only feels once you're around a 10-15% gain.
Yeah that's why my experience concerned me, throttle response became sluggish enough to where I could feel the difference. I tried resetting the ECU and driving it aggressive for a couple days and it never "felt" right between those RPM ranges, once I slapped the stock tube back in, the car's response became much sharper, it felt more willing in those lower RPMs.

Now I'm not talking about WOT pulls, since it felt the same but ONLY under partial throttle application the car's character felt less willing, less playful per se.

I was tempted to take it back to the dyno but I'm not sure if dyno's can accurately measure partial throttle...
Old 10-27-14, 12:51 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MGordo
Instead of going by your 'butt dyno' why not try logging? (Torque/Techstream/etc)

Shouldnt be tough to record the MAF readings for both... that should tell you if its a placebo.
I didn't know Techstream had data logging capabilities, I do have the Techstream (compatible) cable and software. Only used it once to reprogram my wife's RX350 lift gate function.
Old 08-18-19, 10:15 AM
Adrian3IS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S00Pah5L
I had a chance to try both the HPS silicone and JoeZ intake tubes, both used in combination with the stock panel and AFE oiled filter.

Under WOT, the car feels similar to the stock intake, well actually pretty much identical in sound and seat of the pants acceleration.

But....under partial throttle, between 1500-3600 before the dual stage intake opens up, it felt like I lost power. Like the car seems to lug, throttle response seems to lag.

I tried resetting the ECU, switching between stock panel and AFE filters with no difference. Actually the combo that felt the laggiest was the HPS+AFE combo.

Once I put the stock intake pipe in, throttle response immediately became sharp again between those RPM ranges.

I've PM'd Caymandiver about my results and he has concluded that all these intakes for our cars have questionable results so I'm pretty much convinced the stock intake is absolutely the best. He also holds the quickest N/A IS-F record and all done with the stock intake so that's good enough proof for me.

Question is, any of you experience anything similar? I'm talking part throttle driving, does it feel like you lost throttle response/power in the lower RPM ranges?
Yeah that's my exact concern which is why I've decided to keep my stock intake and just use a kn drop in filter. Our intake is already well designed, no need to get a different one that may actually make you lose power and cost more!
The following users liked this post:
Hassled1 (08-18-19)
Old 08-18-19, 10:53 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Received 347 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrian3IS
Yeah that's my exact concern which is why I've decided to keep my stock intake and just use a kn drop in filter. Our intake is already well designed, no need to get a different one that may actually make you lose power and cost more!
Resurrecting a 5 year old thread.
Old 08-18-19, 09:15 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrian3IS
This may be true, though. I don’t think my car runs any harder with the larger RR intake. I don’t have any data to back it up. I did a lot of stuff at once, so it’s hard to delineate. My major track reduction most likely came from drag radials and E85, which helped the tune a lot. Then again, your not really gonna feel a 10 hp bump on a 480-500 hp car.
Old 08-19-19, 11:15 AM
ALexusF
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
This may be true, though. I don’t think my car runs any harder with the larger RR intake. I don’t have any data to back it up. I did a lot of stuff at once, so it’s hard to delineate. My major track reduction most likely came from drag radials and E85, which helped the tune a lot. Then again, your not really gonna feel a 10 hp bump on a 480-500 hp car.
Are you FBO w/RR Tune? They state on their website their intake is only going to show increase in power when FBO w/tune. If not, youre good with stock intake (which is only restrictive past 410whp if i remember correctly).
Old 08-19-19, 08:40 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
I recently did the rr tuned intake and tune (previously had Joe z exhaust and Sikky v2 headers) and OMG.....largest increase from any mod I've done....more of an increase than even headers....feels completely different.... completely. I guess being that I had exhaust and headers, the tune REALLY woke the car up....wasn't expecting that at all, lol.
I have no Dyno numbers to prove it, but I'm 99.9999% sure I got more than 10whp from the tunes intake and tune, lol.

V.

Quick Reply: Throttle response with aftermarket HPS/JOEZ intake tubes...