IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Sunroof rattle

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-18, 02:15 PM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It is. To do it easily, just unclip the garnish that hides the four Torx screws used to mount the panel. Remove the screws, remove the panel, remove the old seal, install new seal, install panel with four Torx screws, install garnish. Done.

I have this seal on order - delivery tomorrow. The original one is pretty sun damaged.
Lance - Great to see someone mechanically inclined has nailed down a simple fix for this. Mind sharing the part number and any tips?? Been putting up with an awful rattle above my head, and it's obvious mine has spent lots of its days in the FL/TX sun. Thanks!
Old 02-05-18, 04:30 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I have a sunroof rattle thats coming from these two parts in the photo. There is some noticeable play between the long bracket with the Torx screws on each end and this other part that moves on that track. Would I need to buy these two parts in order to fix it? If so, whats involved in removal/install?
Attached Thumbnails Sunroof rattle-20180205_165839-1-medium-medium-.jpg  
Old 02-05-18, 06:38 PM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Leander311

Lance - Great to see someone mechanically inclined has nailed down a simple fix for this. Mind sharing the part number and any tips?? Been putting up with an awful rattle above my head, and it's obvious mine has spent lots of its days in the FL/TX sun. Thanks!

63251-53030

It’s $43.85 on MyLParts with discount code CL5 + shipping (which is $4 where I’m at).
The following users liked this post:
Leander311 (02-06-18)
Old 02-05-18, 10:32 PM
JETMIKE007
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

On my IS350 about twice a year I clean the dust and debris from the sunroof rubber seal and the cars painted frame with it fully opened. Then after I apply mothers interior protectant around the entire perimeter of the rubber seal to keep it moist so it wont shrink and crack. And in my opinion it makes a better seal with the frame. Just my two cents, try it!
Attached Thumbnails Sunroof rattle-71ptha5j-tl._sl1500_.jpg  
Old 02-06-18, 04:20 PM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It is. To do it easily, just unclip the garnish that hides the four Torx screws used to mount the panel. Remove the screws, remove the panel, remove the old seal, install new seal, install panel with four Torx screws, install garnish. Done.

I have this seal on order - delivery tomorrow. The original one is pretty sun damaged.
Do you part # for seal having same issue rattling when closed.
Thanks David
Old 02-06-18, 04:46 PM
Leander311
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Weapon F
Do you part # for seal having same issue rattling when closed.
Thanks David
^^^ see two posts up.
Chr328is (08-02-22)
Old 02-13-18, 07:24 AM
Leander311
Intermediate

Here are a few more informative bits... I like to know all I can before I jump into the unknown, however minor. Got the new seal in and will replace this week.

Also, a bit more detail on replacing: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/13...placement.html
and3re (06-12-23)
Old 02-15-18, 09:42 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

If you want to permanently damage the seal, put Vaseline on it. Otherwise, pretty straight forward. Use the 3M dry silicone to lubricate as it will not damage the seal in the long term and will not attract dust/dirt and cause long term issues with the new seal.
Old 02-16-18, 09:45 AM
Leander311
Intermediate

We're still talking about sun roofs, right?
Old 02-24-18, 12:26 PM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

What grease should I use to lubricate the tracks? I noticed there was a grease there when replacing the seal and that it was pretty broken down and filled with grit.

As far as replacing the seal it was pretty straight forward as lobuxracer pointed out. Some things to think about when replacing: Make sure you pay attention to how the parts come off. Make sure you work gentley and not clumsily and without care. Make sure you have a soft surface to place the glass on once it’s removed. When trying to reinstall the seal I found that rolling the seal on worked best for me. Once I flipped the glass over it was easy to see where it had not seated correctly. On reinstallation it might be easier to have a helping hand to set the glass in place and position it flush with the roof line. You can do it alone but I had to get in and out of the car several times to check for flushness and even then I still did not get it perfectly flush. It does work though and I will find out soon whether it fixed my rattling noise in the sunroof. The previous seal was pretty degraded although it was still intact.

Update: Rattle is completely gone.

Last edited by Bigjon3475; 02-24-18 at 03:16 PM.
and3re (06-12-23)
Old 03-01-18, 09:21 AM
Leander311
Intermediate

For those skeptical their above-head noises are actually from this weathered seal, I can almost assure you they are. Apparently the sunroof glass just flops around up there, and even the wind noise is drastically reduced. Mine must have been really bad. Finally did this job last night and was utterly shocked the difference it made. Incredible how any car could transform from Ford rattle box to Lexus luxury 30 mins and $40. Easily best time and money I've spent on the car.

Enough emoting.

A tip and a question:

It's far easier pulling off the old than fitting on the new. As has been suggested, rolling it on in a back and forth motion is MUCH easier than just trying to press it. Two sore thumbs can attest to that.

With the new seal, however, now my sunroof struggles to close, as if the "there's a hand in there!" sensor is tripping. The motor doesn't seem to struggle though. Do the aluminum tracks need some more grease perhaps? Is it white lithium grease or something fancy/Toyota-ier
and3re (06-12-23)
Old 03-01-18, 10:28 AM
Leander311
Intermediate

A few recommendations I've found re: lube. I've some fancy Wurth spray lube I'll likely try first.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...Grease_sunroof

VW AUDI SUNROOF TRACK GREASE LUBRICANT
Amazon Amazon

DuPont Teflon Silicone Lubricant Squeeze Bottle, 4 Oz.
Amazon Amazon

Old 03-03-18, 10:28 AM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

With the new seal, however, now my sunroof struggles to close, as if the "there's a hand in there!" sensor is tripping. The motor doesn't seem to struggle though. Do the aluminum tracks need some more grease perhaps? Is it white lithium grease or something fancy/Toyota-ier
I didn’t have any issues with mine when reinstalled. After I reinstalled the new weatherstrip I turned the glass over looking at it from the top and made sure it was properly seated. I used a razor knife to slightly lift the edge up and made sure it met the line where the old weatherstrip was. When I reinstalled I made sure it was as flush as possible with the roofline. I also cleaned the area that the weatherstrip would rub against.

looking back i should have known the SR WS was bad because I used to hear the rattling and when I would go through a touch less car wash I could see some water infilitrating the sunroof. After replacement there’s no water infiltration and no rattling. I do want to add some grease to the track. Let us know how your expiremental grease works out. Thanks.

Old 03-05-18, 06:39 AM
Leander311
Intermediate

Yah was sure mine was totally flush and clean as well. Think it's an issue of lube that's 7+ years old just like the seal was... here's a side by side of the new bs old trim btw, so you guys can have an idea of how bad these easily get. My F is a '11, though did spend most its days in the FL and Houston heat.

and3re (06-12-23)
Old 11-26-18, 01:21 PM
AyAyRon
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

For those skeptical their above-head noises are actually from this weathered seal, I can almost assure you they are. Apparently the sunroof glass just flops around up there, and even the wind noise is drastically reduced. Mine must have been really bad. Finally did this job last night and was utterly shocked the difference it made. Incredible how any car could transform from Ford rattle box to Lexus luxury 30 mins and $40. Easily best time and money I've spent on the car.

Enough emoting.

A tip and a question:

It's far easier pulling off the old than fitting on the new. As has been suggested, rolling it on in a back and forth motion is MUCH easier than just trying to press it. Two sore thumbs can attest to that.

This is legit info, and thank you for the links and video as well. Did you need the weird special custom screwdriver that one guy in the Toyota forum had to make?

Quick Reply: Sunroof rattle