IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anybody drive or jump to a Camaro ZL1?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-14, 03:19 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Anybody drive or jump to a Camaro ZL1?

Just wondering what your thoughts on the driving dynamics vs our IS-F.

I know apples and oranges, but figure I would ask.
Old 05-27-14, 05:21 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Haven't driven the ZL1, but did drive it's 4 door counterpart, the CTS-V. Has the same engine and mag shocks. Was thinking about the CTSV before the ISF...and sometimes during...

Acceleration is instant in the CTSV, no build up of rpms required as the ISF does. Of course, full throttle acceleration from 60mph+ in the CTSV and it just hauls, ISF just feels slow afterwards..... Handling and high speed stability is noticeably better in the CTSV, esp at 110mph+. The suspension tuning of the CTSV is amazing, excellent damping without feeling too firm, and is able to offer loads grips without upsetting the chassis on midcorner bumps.

Performance wise and track performance, CTSV is above the ISF in all aspects. I can imagine the ZL1 being slightly better.
Old 05-27-14, 05:54 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by itsmike177
Haven't driven the ZL1, but did drive it's 4 door counterpart, the CTS-V. Has the same engine and mag shocks. Was thinking about the CTSV before the ISF...and sometimes during...

Acceleration is instant in the CTSV, no build up of rpms required as the ISF does. Of course, full throttle acceleration from 60mph+ in the CTSV and it just hauls, ISF just feels slow afterwards..... Handling and high speed stability is noticeably better in the CTSV, esp at 110mph+. The suspension tuning of the CTSV is amazing, excellent damping without feeling too firm, and is able to offer loads grips without upsetting the chassis on midcorner bumps.

Performance wise and track performance, CTSV is above the ISF in all aspects. I can imagine the ZL1 being slightly better.
Very Nice.

After having my 04 and 06 GTO...Im missing some GM muscle.
Old 05-27-14, 06:19 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

IDK, GM products are great when they are new but don't age gracefully. I guess it depends on what your looking for and how long you want to keep it for. They tend to get loose and rattle plus the materials don't seem to hold up well. On top of that they depreciate so fast. More so for the Cadillacs then anything.
I'm saying this from personal experience and don't get me wrong, I have always been a GM owner.
I own a Denali and (2) K1500 pickups. My father has a Corvette sitting in the garage. I also work on a lot of GM products.....I have (2) Escalades here for repairs now. Both with under 100k and between them we have a failed nav unit, stabilitrac issue, Evap codes, airbag issue, leaking lines and chrome falling off the rims.
That beings said, I love the new Z06 and wouldn't mind having one in a few years once all the old guys are done cruising around looking cool in them and the prices drop.
Old 05-27-14, 06:40 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I read an article in my latest Motor Trend or other similar car mag (yeah, I still actually get magazines though I can't remember the last time they sent me a bill or renewal card) where they pitted the newest Camaro Z28 vs a Porsche Turbo and a GT-R, and the Camaro beat BOTH around a road course. Yes, part of that was tires, but still, the thought of a Camaro running with those two around a road course is pretty amazing. I'm definitely impressed. The GT-R was billed as the affordable supercar that could be had for under $100K and still run with $300K Italian and German beasts, but now the GT-R has crept up there in price. I wonder if the Camaro will now take the place where the GT-R was supposed to shine. Brand new they're stickered at what, $75K?
Old 05-28-14, 01:04 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

As much as I do not like American cars I a as thinking if looking at the ZL1 right before I bought my ISF. Went to the forums and found that most owners have significant quality issues and just let it go because the car was so fun. I literally thanked them for their honesty and told them I was off to buy an ISF
Old 05-28-14, 05:49 AM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it is like RCB said...it depends on what u r looking for...brute power regardless of reliability or quality...or very good power with both reliability and quality. The ISF is also an iconic automobile from the fact that it was Lexus first performance model. Again to each his own and when I see a ZL1, I will check it out and even see if they want "to go"...but it doesn't mean I want one...
Old 05-28-14, 06:08 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A co-worker of mine just picked one up after trading in his RS4, and said that he was dissapointed with the QC, but that the car was unbelievably fun and stable.

I will see if we can go for a little pull and swap this weekend.
Old 05-28-14, 06:22 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 4everkidd
A co-worker of mine just picked one up after trading in his RS4, and said that he was dissapointed with the QC, but that the car was unbelievably fun and stable.

I will see if we can go for a little pull and swap this weekend.
I had a quick race with one a few weeks ago. We ran from 60-125mph...dead even. I'm full bolt-on, but still expected to get smoked knowing what the ZL1 packs. The other guy and I were both shocked I ran with him. Obviously the race was only a few seconds and probably shouldn't be considered the standard, but I thought I'd throw in my little experience versus one. From a dig I'm sure he would have smoked me, but it's still a nice surprise.
Old 05-28-14, 06:52 AM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by melbitoast
I had a quick race with one a few weeks ago. We ran from 60-125mph...dead even. I'm full bolt-on, but still expected to get smoked knowing what the ZL1 packs. The other guy and I were both shocked I ran with him. Obviously the race was only a few seconds and probably shouldn't be considered the standard, but I thought I'd throw in my little experience versus one. From a dig I'm sure he would have smoked me, but it's still a nice surprise.
Well done...that must have been fun!
Old 05-28-14, 06:58 AM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Not to get "off topic" but I can tell u that when "going" from 60mph and up I have only been pulled pretty good by two cars...a Ferrari (who pulled up and messed with me) and a CTSV that had some mods...I could only see the CF hood and aftermarket exhaust but it was definitely tweaked but the guy was very cool and actually pulled up to me afterwards and was impressed at how I ran with him and said my car was fast???
Old 05-28-14, 09:35 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I guess I get into races that proves that the ISF isn't even close to being the fastest out there. I have lost to GTR's, CTS-V's, E63 the V8TT, tuned Audi S7, tuned S4 and RS4, Corvettes, modded Mustangs, and a few months ago,a McLaren MP412C. The McLaren was insanely fast on the highway, after 2 seconds of full throttle in the ISF from 70mph, it was already 5 bus lengths ahead and pulling away as if I was driving a Corolla.

Back on topic though, regardless of the quality of the ZL1, yes, it is a better drivers car on the street and on the track than the ISF. As is the CTS-V. Like others said here though, I would lease the GM cars for 2-3 years, but purchase the ISF if going long term.
Old 05-28-14, 11:05 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

I played with a white convertible one this morning on the way to work. I pulled up next to him and gave him a thumbs up. I launched and he didnt then when I calmed down he flew by but then exited and clipped the curb entering a gas station
Old 05-28-14, 11:17 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by melbitoast
I had similar results racing a stock ZL1 at the strip. Where he would get me on the launch I would get him in the top end (surprisingly).

Old 05-28-14, 11:31 AM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by caymandive
I had similar results racing a stock ZL1 at the strip. Where he would get me on the launch I would get him in the top end (surprisingly).
Very nice...your ISF sounds vey strong...

Hey speaking of Kills...do we have a "Kill" thread or do we get back to worrying about who is reading it like when someone tried to start a "top speed" thread???

Quick Reply: Anybody drive or jump to a Camaro ZL1?