IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Borla cat back exhaust Rubbing when accelerate on a left turn

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-14, 07:43 AM
2010ISFU
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borla cat back exhaust Rubbing when accelerate on a left turn

Does anyone else have this problem and how to fix it?
Old 03-20-14, 10:06 AM
yjk1975
Pole Position

You should go over your install. I have the same and don't have any issues.
Old 03-20-14, 10:15 AM
sleepyray
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Borla as well with no issue. Me and my friend did the installation ourself.
do you know where is the area that's rubbing?
Old 03-20-14, 10:30 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

It has to be that the connections are not as tight as they should be. This may create a extension and some rubbing. Either that or its a defect. As far as I know Borla is pretty damn good about their million mile warranty. I had damage on mine in my G35 and they replaced for free through a dealer I got it from . Pain but it should be ok. I would have the installer look at it or just run it down to any muffler shop so they can look at how its been put together
Old 03-20-14, 11:37 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

fyi when the car/exhaust is hot, it will expand. so, if you check underneath the car when it's cold, you might not see where it's hitting. my borla used to hit this metal shield type cover about midway under the car. just removed it. also, when i had been running the car hard, the rear tips would tap against the rear diffuser. i just made some adjustments and retightened. but never have i had a hitting or rubbing only when turning.
Old 03-20-14, 12:59 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Do you have headers as well?
Old 03-20-14, 02:07 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Years ago, when I had my G35, I got into a heated forum discussion with David Borla about the Borla exhaust. I have never owned one, and never will. IMHO, the slip fit clamp method they use is crap. Again, IMHO, the OP should find out where the rub is and loosen the clamps around it and finesse the pipes. And, if it were me, I would then weld each seam and throw away the clamps.

Lou
Old 03-20-14, 02:20 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

my borla hasn't given me any problems in the two years of ownership but honestly, the slip fit style is pretty crappy. i wanted something cheap, bang for your buck, so i went w/ the borla. you get what you pay for.
Old 03-20-14, 02:35 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had this happen on 2 ISFs and it was the exact issue when cornering hard. The clamps can let the exhaust slip and Lou is exactly right. Once you get it positioned comfortably fully weld the connections or tack weld them if you think you'll want to break it back down at some point.
Also as mentioned above, make sure you are not getting interference between the exhaust tips and the diffusers. The hardest part of the Borla exhaust install is making sure the pipes are slipped all the way in and the clamps are as tight as they can get without snapping them.
Old 03-20-14, 02:37 PM
psixtc
Pole Position

There is a metal bracket under the car that holds the engine undercover air guide on (I'd guess right under where the front seats are). Check to see if it's hitting that. I was having an issue where my exhaust was hitting something and found my ISS Forged DES contacting that. I pulled it off and gently massaged it with a BFH then painted the areas where I chipped off the paint. Hasn't rattled since.

It's the 51449E in this picture: http://is.sewellparts.com/images/oem...00/511775A.jpg
Old 03-20-14, 03:17 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RCB
The hardest part of the Borla exhaust install is making sure the pipes are slipped all the way in and the clamps are as tight as they can get without snapping them.
They actually have a specific torque spec, according to the instructions.

"Once position has been determined to be correct, tighten the Accuseal clamps to 32-35 ft. lbs. and tighten the flange hardware to 18-22 ft. lbs."

Following the above, I have yet to experience issues. YMMV.
Old 03-20-14, 04:01 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

I've had the Borla exhaust on my car for over 3 years without issue. It is important that the exhaust is installed on a lift and installed per the instructions. You may also want to double check that all the slip fit sections are all the way in as it can easily throw the alignment of the exhaust out and cause issues.
Old 03-20-14, 04:03 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Years ago, when I had my G35, I got into a heated forum discussion with David Borla about the Borla exhaust. I have never owned one, and never will. IMHO, the slip fit clamp method they use is crap. Again, IMHO, the OP should find out where the rub is and loosen the clamps around it and finesse the pipes. And, if it were me, I would then weld each seam and throw away the clamps.

Lou
I may be welding each seam this summer when I have to swap back to stock for my annual safety inspection. I don't like the slip fit either, but it does help with keeping the weight down and if I can get rid of the clamps that would be even sweeter.
Old 03-20-14, 06:16 PM
szhark

i have had the borla for a year and the mufflers are constantly hitting the faux tips.. I had a shop unbolt and fix, but they seemed to slip back again. Going to try myself and tighten the clamps but i dont have a torque wrench.

How much distance should i get from the tips? i have about an inch when cool, but after heat, the exhaust expands and hits.

With no torque wrench, if i try to manually tighten, can i break them?
Old 03-20-14, 06:59 PM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

I have the Borla for a year. Never have problems. It was installed good to begin with.

Quick Reply: Borla cat back exhaust Rubbing when accelerate on a left turn