IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

First Autocross in the F

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-14, 11:39 AM
rmillsISF
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default First Autocross in the F

Well, they had an autocross for charity this past weekend. It was around 45 degrees out and stopped raining about 3 hours before-hand so I decided to go... plus a donation to the Ronald McDonald Hours never hurt anyone. I've run autocrosses, but never in this car and never on a wet track before. I have to say I'm impressed with the F. I did leave the traction control on for the event since it was very wet still... next time I'll be more adventurous. The Memphis International Raceway is where the event was held and they pretty much made 2 monsterous slaloms (probably 80ft between cones and left the road course open to traffic. In the wet I was getting the tail a little waggy around the carousel at about 95MPH, but it kept in line well. The picture was from my last run before I had to go. I was ahead of everyone by over a second on that run... including keeping off it through a corner because they were getting MUD off the track since another guy did some agricultural driving and bought mud back onto the track with him. I was still off the leader (911 turbo) by only 4 sec for the day... and they ran until the track dried up! I'll call that a win in my book. I know I had 2 sec more in it even with it wet out... I kind of wish I'd stayed longer, but my headache just wasn't going to get any better.
Attached Thumbnails First Autocross in the F-wetautocross.jpg  
Old 01-15-14, 11:43 AM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good job man! Love the pics!
Old 01-15-14, 07:26 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

The IS F in it's home environment. It definitely doesn't look out of place. Glad you had a great time. Any positive or negative feedback about the car during your runs?
Old 01-16-14, 07:29 AM
rmillsISF
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to say I was impressed. The car felt stable at all times. when the tail stepped out, it was still VERY controllable... especially compared to the old MR2. The grip was awesome, even in the rain. I've heard these cars tend to understeer, but I didn't find that to be the case. I was able to very easily induce over-steer when needed. Even compared to the beloved M3's I've driven I found the suspension at home on the track in the ISF and easily controllable.

The brakes - all I can say is wow Brembo!

I've driven MR2's (one with a 2gr-swap), 944's, EVO's, minis and m3's mostly autocrossing and after driving the F, I'm impressed.
Old 01-16-14, 07:54 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I do not have the experience you have nor do I have the seat time in the mentioned cars but I was also very impressed with ISF on the track. I have an 08 and felt the suspension could be a little tighter but overall the car handles unbelievable for a sedan. The 8mpg was worth every penny and I can't wait to get back on the track this spring!
Old 01-16-14, 08:55 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by rmillsISF
I have to say I was impressed. The car felt stable at all times. when the tail stepped out, it was still VERY controllable... especially compared to the old MR2. The grip was awesome, even in the rain. I've heard these cars tend to understeer, but I didn't find that to be the case. I was able to very easily induce over-steer when needed. Even compared to the beloved M3's I've driven I found the suspension at home on the track in the ISF and easily controllable.

The brakes - all I can say is wow Brembo!

I've driven MR2's (one with a 2gr-swap), 944's, EVO's, minis and m3's mostly autocrossing and after driving the F, I'm impressed.
I've done autocross and road course with the F. It's way more at home on a road course, but it will plow like an agricultural implement if you give it even a small opportunity. Oddly enough, it loves trail braking because the rear LCA bushings are designed to create toe out on braking. Other than that, everything else they did to the chassis was to ensure the car understeers first.

Yes I've made it oversteer, but it takes a conscious effort to induce oversteer. The car also feels unstable on the brakes hard into an uphill section. Going into turn 4 and turn 8 at Carolina Motorsports Park can be unnerving.

8 mpg? That must be a pretty fast track. I got between 5 and 6 mpg at CMP, but that track also requires full race brake pads because there are four major braking zones every lap. The OEM pads would melt in no time.
Old 01-16-14, 09:45 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kauaian
The 8mpg was worth every penny and I can't wait to get back on the track this spring!
I noticed you were in neighboring VA. Where was the photo taken, and do you plan to go to any specific courses? I've done Summit and NJMP, and plan to do some smaller local events depending on the car club calendars.

I've also been using this site to look at and find events: http://www.motorsportreg.com/
Old 01-16-14, 10:13 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't say its a fast track but it was my first time on a track so I am sure my driving abilities are no where near yours, lol! Hence the better gas mileage.

Shinobi, I will shoot you a PM!
Old 01-16-14, 04:56 PM
torxuvin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet picture. Looks like fun
Old 01-16-14, 07:27 PM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kauaian
I do not have the experience you have nor do I have the seat time in the mentioned cars but I was also very impressed with ISF on the track. I have an 08 and felt the suspension could be a little tighter but overall the car handles unbelievable for a sedan. The 8mpg was worth every penny and I can't wait to get back on the track this spring!
Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
I noticed you were in neighboring VA. Where was the photo taken, and do you plan to go to any specific courses? I've done Summit and NJMP, and plan to do some smaller local events depending on the car club calendars.

I've also been using this site to look at and find events: http://www.motorsportreg.com/

I'm going to be doing summit point main with several RS4's and an M3 on the 1st of March. We are also going down to VIR that same month as well. I will make a post about it tomorrow. The more F's the merrier. VIR was fun in the IS-F.
Old 01-18-14, 10:22 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I've done autocross and road course with the F. It's way more at home on a road course, but it will plow like an agricultural implement if you give it even a small opportunity. Oddly enough, it loves trail braking because the rear LCA bushings are designed to create toe out on braking. Other than that, everything else they did to the chassis was to ensure the car understeers first.

Yes I've made it oversteer, but it takes a conscious effort to induce oversteer. The car also feels unstable on the brakes hard into an uphill section. Going into turn 4 and turn 8 at Carolina Motorsports Park can be unnerving.

8 mpg? That must be a pretty fast track. I got between 5 and 6 mpg at CMP, but that track also requires full race brake pads because there are four major braking zones every lap. The OEM pads would melt in no time.
I seem to get about 5 mpg on poconos north road course... I feel that it is also rough on brakes as i go threw a set of front pads (carbo12) in 5 hours on that track. They use the 3 nascar corner backwards and about half the straight... hit a 135 in the F and slam on the brakes to go into the tight infield.
Old 01-18-14, 10:43 AM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

op, man this sounds like it was a blast, bummer about your headache cuttin it short.!

btw, what is trail braking exactly, can you elaborate a bit, i think i understand about the toeing out part
Old 01-18-14, 01:50 PM
BluISF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigcloud
Good job man! Love the pics!
I only see 1 picture

OP, bad *** looking picture.
Old 01-18-14, 01:56 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Good work. I've never done an autocross where you could get the car up to 95mph! Then again, I've only every autocrossed an S2000 so maybe that has something to do with it too.

The car looks great in the OP's pic.
Old 01-18-14, 02:46 PM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

btw, what exactly constitutes an autocross event? its obstacles or something?

Quick Reply: First Autocross in the F