IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS F "Stiffness" how bad is it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-14, 09:06 AM
WillRockwe
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's firm, not stiff.
If you like performance cars, it's perfect.
Old 01-16-14, 11:02 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe the ones who stated the ride as being to stiff are the ones coming from something not really track and performance oriented vehicles. If you are looking for something comfy get a GS, ES or IS 250/350, if you want to stick with Lexus. Then again some people buy the ISF just because they the ponies and reliability and have no desire to actually "drive" the car.

Just go and test drive it and be the judge as it's your money and your the one that's gonna have to deal with it if you purchase it. You decide.
Old 01-16-14, 11:17 AM
Syan48306
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kauaian
I believe the ones who stated the ride as being to stiff are the ones coming from something not really track and performance oriented vehicles. If you are looking for something comfy get a GS, ES or IS 250/350, if you want to stick with Lexus. Then again some people buy the ISF just because they the ponies and reliability and have no desire to actually "drive" the car.

Just go and test drive it and be the judge as it's your money and your the one that's gonna have to deal with it if you purchase it. You decide.
I'll admit, I want an IS F because it's unique and has an amazing grunt, not because I intend on abusing it on a track. I'm not looking for a mushy GS or IS stock comfort, just wondering if it's going to be uncomfortable enough to have it in the back of my mind when I drive it.

It looks like a coilover swap will take off the edge some what while preserving most of it's performance. Which ones are the recommended ones and how much are they generally?
Old 01-16-14, 11:29 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

IMO, the ride comfort is actually very nice. It's the best of both worlds and not back wrenching at all. I would steer away from coilovers as you would be actually down grading in quality and ability with maybe the exception of KW's. However, KW's are a pretty penny in the mid to high $2K range. There are a few others in the JDM market that are worthy but again they will cost you. A friend of mine just traded his G37S for an ISF and is in love! He is not a big track or road course person but just liked the style, ponies and comfort of the ISF....Yes I said comfort! To top this off he has back issues and did not think the ride was back wrenching at all.

The ISF was made to be driven. There is a big difference between abusing and pushing a car.
Old 01-16-14, 12:14 PM
todd4566
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2008 is my daily driver, and though the suspension is a lot more stiff than my 2009 IS350 it is by no means unbearable. Curious to read the 2010 is stiffer than the 2008.. is this true?
Old 01-16-14, 12:15 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Syan48306
I'll admit, I want an IS F because it's unique and has an amazing grunt, not because I intend on abusing it on a track. I'm not looking for a mushy GS or IS stock comfort, just wondering if it's going to be uncomfortable enough to have it in the back of my mind when I drive it.

It looks like a coilover swap will take off the edge some what while preserving most of it's performance. Which ones are the recommended ones and how much are they generally?
The ride quality is not a problem if you've ever driven a sports car or even sport touring car. If your experience has only been with floaty family sedans that were specifically designed to be comfortable, yes it'll be a change... but if you've ever had a sporty car you'll find the firm suspension to be perfectly fine. I'm convinced that the people who say the suspension is uncomfortable or unbearable are used to driving Buicks and Camrys.

If you want to get coilovers, most people go with either BC Racing at around $1000 or KWs at around $2000. I've heard good things about both.
Old 01-16-14, 12:39 PM
shahir18
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just drove the new RAV4 Limited and thought the ride was stiff/harsh, my IS F is much more comfortable then it... Plus I am coming from having a IS300 slammed on Tein CST with L-Tuned sway bars and TRD chassis braces - So to me, the ride is much more comfortable. The only complain I have is that the front is a little too bouncy for my liking, that would be corrected once I install the Swift Springs
Old 01-16-14, 12:46 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

VBB, the price on KW's have increased a bit. I was surprised when I seen it myself!
Old 01-16-14, 01:43 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I'm the only one but I'd take an 2011+ suspension over my 2010's. It is a harsh ride, not crazy but it is
Old 01-16-14, 01:49 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yesterday on the drive home was the first time I noticed that the ride was 'bouncy'. It was highway driving and I found myself being somewhat annoyed. It wasn't horrible or anything like that...but it was noticeable. Quite.

My GS4 was fully modded with braces and all but it never rode like that. Would coilovers cure that without sacrificing handling?
Old 01-16-14, 04:51 PM
torxuvin
Pole Position

I don't have one yet, but I have test driven a few 2008s so far. They are like driving on a cloud to me. Not overly harsh at all. Actually less harsh than the new Mercedes C250 that I had for a rental car a few weeks ago.

Disclaimer: I dd a corvette.
Old 01-16-14, 04:53 PM
torxuvin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DrRick
Yesterday on the drive home was the first time I noticed that the ride was 'bouncy'. It was highway driving and I found myself being somewhat annoyed. It wasn't horrible or anything like that...but it was noticeable. Quite.

My GS4 was fully modded with braces and all but it never rode like that. Would coilovers cure that without sacrificing handling?
From what I've read they do. My understanding is that the "bouncy" ride comes from overly stiff springs compared to the dampening rate.
Old 01-16-14, 07:23 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Take it from me, I did deadlifts the same day as my road trip to Canada in my 08, drove it for 6.5 hours straight on a Friday, and back on Sunday. No issues whatsoever with comfort or stiffness.
Old 01-17-14, 06:18 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
I guess I'm the only one but I'd take an 2011+ suspension over my 2010's. It is a harsh ride, not crazy but it is
What did you drive prior to the ISF?
Old 01-17-14, 06:25 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DrRick

The GS suspension compared to the ISF suspension is like comparing apples to poultry, lol! I have never experienced any bouncing while driving on the interstate and the roads here in Virginia and DC are not the best. I would say its safe to say this was caused by crappy roads in conjunction with a sporty/stiffer suspension. You always have to keep in mind what the ISF was built for.

Quick Reply: IS F "Stiffness" how bad is it?