Print Wikipost

Raybestos Rotors + Project Mu NS400 Brake pads Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-13, 10:19 AM
pc1990
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raybestos Rotors + Project Mu NS400 Brake pads Review

I'm going to make this short and sweet...Complete waste of money! Yeah It was half the cost of OEM or less but this combo is terrible. The pads fade far too easily and stopping power is not much better than fully worn down stock pads and rotors. As the saying goes...You get what you pay for! Never again am I going to settle for aftermarket pads and rotors and I don't think any of you should either unless you totally drive like an old lady, then you won't feel the difference.

I remember someones wife here ranting about the NS400's a couple weeks ago and even though I didn't listen and got them anyways, she was right. These pads are terrible on the street...I would think they would be much worse for the track and life threatening if you go by what Project Mu advertises.

Ok I'm done with my rant...Just wanted to warn anyone that likes to drive spiritidly and hopefully this helps anyone else considering this combo. And yes the pads were bedded and broken in properly.
Old 11-18-13, 10:40 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by pc1990
I'm going to make this short and sweet...Complete waste of money! Yeah It was half the cost of OEM or less but this combo is terrible. The pads fade far too easily and stopping power is not much better than fully worn down stock pads and rotors. As the saying goes...You get what you pay for! Never again am I going to settle for aftermarket pads and rotors and I don't think any of you should either unless you totally drive like an old lady, then you won't feel the difference.

I remember someones wife here ranting about the NS400's a couple weeks ago and even though I didn't listen and got them anyways, she was right. These pads are terrible on the street...I would think they would be much worse for the track and life threatening if you go by what Project Mu advertises.

Ok I'm done with my rant...Just wanted to warn anyone that likes to drive spiritidly and hopefully this helps anyone else considering this combo. And yes the pads were bedded and broken in properly.
First off, that previous woman that came on here ranting about the Project Mu pads bought street pads and used them on the track. Her results were as expected. And to that same point, what type of driving are you doing, exactly? I have the Project Mu NS400s (STREET PADS) and have "tested" them in many different types of applications. I did some spirited street driving through a winding mountain road just a few weeks ago and they didn't fade on me a bit. Granted, it was only for about 15-20 miles, but my stopping power was never in question. I also had to full-on stomp on the brakes once about two months ago when a car merged in front of me and then stopped. It was amazing that I didn't plow into her, but the brakes grabbed immediately, and I'm convinced that in another car I would have been in an accident. I couldn't ask for any better performance from my pads there. Finally, for my day-to-day regular street driving, I've experienced no ill effects. Stopping feel and power is similar to OEM and the dusting is less than half as much. I'm a Project Mu pad fan for as long as I have this car. Can't speak to the Raybestos rotors though.

Long story short, these are street pads, not track pads. If you're driving at limits that cause these pads to fail, then I would suggest you need to take that kind of driving to the track... and then get the right pads for that.
Old 11-18-13, 11:18 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Including "Raybestos Rotors" in the title is a little misleading because all your braking performace concerns are in your brake pads. Several of us use the Raybestos Rotors in severe racing environments and on the street with zero concern.
Old 11-18-13, 11:49 AM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you clean up the rotors with brake cleaner before installing? Did you touch the pads with your bare hands by chance before you installed them?

New rotors usually have a type of oil that is put on after the manufacturing process. This oil can contaminate the pads too.
Old 11-18-13, 01:35 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

A member pointed this out to us -

In my opinion what Patrick and Vbb are stating here correct - (If the pads were purchased for street use):

Quick statement - there is an oil deposited on new rotors, especially semi decent quality rotors, when packaged, that keeps the rotors from rusting while they are transported across countries or sitting on the shelf. This is again common with almost any off the shelf rotor.

Additionally you will need to lay a transfer layer (google "bedding in pads") onto a new rotor so you can get decent friction between the two surfaces (google "creating a transfer layer on to rotor").

We really feel for you as you did not get an opportunity to enjoy these pads yet, if the above did not apply and perhaps you have some other scenario (brakes need to be bled, low fluid in the reservoir, etc). it is best to check those before attempting to burnish the rotors.

For track use its generally recommended that you start with either Project Mu Club Racers, Carbotech XP10/12, Performance Friction 08, etc. depending on your abilities and the tire compound/contact patch size that you are using. There are other pads like Ferodo DS2500 that can work with hard street/hill use as well, and Endless has an MXRS pad or equivalent that would work for you as well.

Let us know some additional information so people can at least learn from your use or help you along!

Best Regards-

Just want to also clarify that Speed Freaks, LLC or myself are not liable for the opinions provided.
Old 11-18-13, 02:06 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Mu's and I'm really diggen them. I've had stops from 150mph and never felt fade. I still recommend them as a street pad

Originally Posted by pc1990
. And yes the pads were bedded and broken in properly.
And what was your procedure?
Old 11-19-13, 03:59 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

I also have Mu's and I'm loving them compared to OEM pads.

At first I thought maybe its the combination with the rotors but from the feedback above that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Hope you manage to figure out whats causing you this problem, but for me personally I'm going Mu all the way.

Last edited by Defratos; 11-19-13 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-19-13, 09:21 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

for the people running the Project Mu's, what rotors are you running w/ them?
Old 11-19-13, 10:35 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Raybestos rotors are made by Brembo. It's not the rotors.
Old 11-19-13, 10:41 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by cremaster
I'm running them with OEM rotors.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
If I had to guess, I think this thread, and the thread that the OP mentioned from a few months back, are simply cases where a product was not used as intended. If you use a street pad on the track, or under track-like applications, you can't expect it to perform like a track pad would.

Don't use Project Mu NS400 Street pads on the track. Done and done.
Old 11-19-13, 10:59 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

OEM...

Hard to beat the OEM Jurid brake pads stopping (bite) for street use..
BUT just can’t deal with the messy & corrosive dust they make..

No complaints from me on the Project Mu's... And I just recently installed a second set of front pads.

My first set last well over 50k miles.. AND they did not chew up my new OEM Rotors..

~ Joe Z
The following users liked this post:
n9tkd9 (03-26-20)
Old 11-19-13, 11:01 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

^^ thanks for the replies, gentlemen.
Old 11-19-13, 02:39 PM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Also OEM rotors
Old 11-19-13, 03:44 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oem
Old 11-19-13, 05:05 PM
Super6
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had mu and stoptech rotors for street use and enjoyed them. No complaints.

Quick Reply: Raybestos Rotors + Project Mu NS400 Brake pads Review