IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Debating on buying 2014 IS-F or waiting for the updated F car.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-13, 07:16 PM
alex1126
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Debating on buying 2014 IS-F or waiting for the updated F car.

Hey guys, I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I am finally ready to let go of my immaculate supercharged E39 M5 for an IS-F. I have been going back and forth over the last 6 months and finally ready to make a purchase. I am just not sure what to do, get the IS-F now and possibly regret waiting another year for a much better interior/exterior styled IS-F. What would you guys do, I am not interested in anything european anymore as i have had 6 BMW's and an Audi and sick of repairing them (even though I have my own repair shop).

Thank you.
Old 11-05-13, 03:25 AM
kbtoiz
Pole Position

Well, Lexus is about to show the RC-F soon. Not sure when will be the release date. If you can wait, well then wait and see. But if you choose and go with and IS-F you wont regret it.
Old 11-05-13, 04:21 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

The RC-F, scheduled to come out as a 2015 model, will have two less doors than the current ISF, but will have more power, and of course all the newest Lexus technology and interior upgrades. The current ISF is a great car that many of us are happy to own, and the 2014 is obviously the newest and last of this model year.

If you don't need the 4 doors, don't mind buying a car in its first model year, and can wait another year, I'd probably wait on the RCF. I would check out the videos on YouTube and this site if I were you to see if you like the new design too. There are some uncertainties with the price point too, so there's an outside chance they price it significantly higher than the current ISF which is a factor to consider. Personally, I'm going to wait til at least 2016 to see the RCF in person and see if there are any first year kinks that need to be worked out before I consider buying one, but then again I already have an ISF.

By the way, the E39 M5 is one of my favorite cars of all time. Seriously, I think it's my favorite BMW. Post pics of yours!
Old 11-05-13, 07:00 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Whether you go the 2014 ISF route or RCF, you won't regret it. But at this point it looks like the ISF will be discontinued and the RCF will be its replacement. With that being said both variants of the F will hold their values extremely well. Depends what your preferences are, 2 or 4 doors, and like vbb said anticipate that prices for the RC will be higher. You could wait for the auto show when they show the RC

E39 M5... my favorite M5 even though I love the sound of the V10 e60......
Old 11-05-13, 11:40 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Resale values for the ISF don't seem to drop too much, so it may not be too costly (if it all) to snag a 2014 then evaluate the 2015 F models (or even 2016). That way, you can enjoy the ISF and see if it's a perfect fit or can move on to another model.

Unless you're going to put a boatload of miles on it over a year or two, I think you can probably recoup most if not all of your money back if you choose to sell the ISF.
Old 11-05-13, 06:05 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alex1126
Hey guys, I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I am finally ready to let go of my immaculate supercharged E39 M5 for an IS-F. I have been going back and forth over the last 6 months and finally ready to make a purchase. I am just not sure what to do, get the IS-F now and possibly regret waiting another year for a much better interior/exterior styled IS-F. What would you guys do, I am not interested in anything european anymore as i have had 6 BMW's and an Audi and sick of repairing them (even though I have my own repair shop).

Thank you.
Alex,

Given the Potential for the IS-F to be eclipsed by the RC-F, you have a simple choice. By the loaded IS-F, a phenomenal car for approximately $70k loaded and with tax or wait for the 30+ horsepower, carbon bodied RC-F with the V8 for $100k plus.

I for one love the F class of cars but will need to look at competing cars in the $100K price range given the escalated price. I expect the loaded RC-F will be $110K or more. If you can live with a V-6 RC-F, God bless. I will find it hard to go in that direction.
Old 11-05-13, 06:10 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

that $100k price is mistranslated from australian dollar prices. Topic has been beaten several times already

honestly I'd either wait for the RC-F details or get a used 2011+ ISF, 2014 ISF isnt worth the price with the minimal changes over the 2011+

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 11-05-13 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-05-13, 07:07 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISF001
Alex,

Given the Potential for the IS-F to be eclipsed by the RC-F, you have a simple choice. By the loaded IS-F, a phenomenal car for approximately $70k loaded and with tax or wait for the 30+ horsepower, carbon bodied RC-F with the V8 for $100k plus.

I for one love the F class of cars but will need to look at competing cars in the $100K price range given the escalated price. I expect the loaded RC-F will be $110K or more. If you can live with a V-6 RC-F, God bless. I will find it hard to go in that direction.
Wait what do you mean V6 RCF
Old 11-06-13, 04:04 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dmvp29
Wait what do you mean V6 RCF
Lexus has already announced two versions of the coupe: the conventional RC350 with a 3.5-liter V-6 gasoline engine and the RC300h with a 2.5-liter hybrid setup.

I would like to agree that the six-figure price is an exaggeration for the new F, but I believe it is what we'll need to pay to get the new beast with all the bells and whistles and the brutish V8 and and eight-speed tranny, all wrapped in carbon fiber and probably 700 pounds lighter!

As for Australian pricing, they ALREADY pay $120,000 or more for the CURRENT IS-F. If the US buyers will be paying north of $100,000 for the RC-F, I am sure the Aussies will be paying $150,000.

The IS-F has always been under fair market pricing in the US since its appearance, and I believe this was part of a marketing campaign to launch the F brand. The mission has been accomplished, so Lexus is moving ahead with its pricing strategy.

Lexus will now make us pay for the V8, if we want to continue with the F fever in the US.

Are you willing to pay the $100,000+ for the next gen? I may...and I may not...but I love the IS-F.

My advice: grab the 2014 IS-F. It is STILL a great bargain!
Old 11-06-13, 08:00 AM
vbb

Originally Posted by ISF001
Lexus has already announced two versions of the coupe: the conventional RC350 with a 3.5-liter V-6 gasoline engine and the RC300h with a 2.5-liter hybrid setup.

I would like to agree that the six-figure price is an exaggeration for the new F, but I believe it is what we'll need to pay to get the new beast with all the bells and whistles and the brutish V8 and and eight-speed tranny, all wrapped in carbon fiber and probably 700 pounds lighter!

As for Australian pricing, they ALREADY pay $120,000 or more for the CURRENT IS-F. If the US buyers will be paying north of $100,000 for the RC-F, I am sure the Aussies will be paying $150,000.

The IS-F has always been under fair market pricing in the US since its appearance, and I believe this was part of a marketing campaign to launch the F brand. The mission has been accomplished, so Lexus is moving ahead with its pricing strategy.

Lexus will now make us pay for the V8, if we want to continue with the F fever in the US.

Are you willing to pay the $100,000+ for the next gen? I may...and I may not...but I love the IS-F.

My advice: grab the 2014 IS-F. It is STILL a great bargain!
Where are you getting your information about the all carbon, possibly 700lbs lighter RCF? I tend to stay up on all the rumors, and I haven't seen that. Also, I've heard the $100K+ price tag, but I have to believe that is inaccurate. Simply put, Lexus would have a hard time selling the car if they planned on charging that much. If the RCF has an MSRP of over $70K I'll be surprised. They have to price their market and realize what they are competing against. Not a single one of the RCF's proposed competitors are going to cost 6 figures, and I think we can all agree that the RCF won't have the most horsepower of the group, so why would they charge so much more?

But back on topic, there is a lot of speculation surrounding the RCF, but we know all about the ISF now. If it were me, I'd wait, but I can say that because I have an ISF. What the OP should really do is pick up a clean, used 2013 with less than 10K miles. He'll avoid the new car depreciation hit and may be able to sell the 2013 in say 2016 without losing a whole lot. By then, he can decide if he wants to keep the ISF or move on to the RCF or something else.
Old 11-06-13, 08:49 AM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

RCF is competing with the M4, It will not be 25k more than a M4. M4 is loaded is carbon parts and I don't believe that it has a huge price jump from the current e92 M3. I think it's going be around 70-75k LOADED.
Old 11-06-13, 05:28 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MK4Sup_isF
RCF is competing with the M4, It will not be 25k more than a M4. M4 is loaded is carbon parts and I don't believe that it has a huge price jump from the current e92 M3. I think it's going be around 70-75k LOADED.
Guys, I hope you are right. Just key in Lexus RC-F price in yir browser and you will find the $100k pricing. The press is also stating the Lexus will compete in a class above the M4, which will be easy to do. This new bimmer will not have anything over the M3 and the IS-F.
Old 11-06-13, 11:08 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

It makes no sense for the RC-F to be anywhere near $100k, much less over it. The production version of the LF-LC currently isn't even being slotted into that high a price category.
Old 11-07-13, 08:30 AM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

[QUOTE=ISF001;8223557]Lexus has already announced two versions of the coupe: the conventional RC350 with a 3.5-liter V-6 gasoline engine and the RC300h with a 2.5-liter hybrid setup.

This is current they will have three variants RC300h, RC350 V6 making around same 300 plus HP and of course RC-F

You also stated RC-F would make 30plus hp over current IS-F more like 44hp everything I have read so far points to around 460hp for RC-F using same motor as current IS-F using updated fuel system, more aggressive ECM tuning, redesigned exhaust system headers,cats,exhaust free flowing.

There saying RC-F will have carbon fiber Roof, Hood,and Truck lid maybe few more carbon fiber bits here and there spoilers, interior parts etc, but where are you getting 700lbs from really that would make it weight less that new C7 vette, every 911. The new M3/4 was targeting old E46 M3 weight so your looking at around 3500lb mark, that very ambitious on part of BMW and will be difficult to achieve, since they are not adding any significant power to new M3/4 that makes sense loose weight to gain performance. As far as RC-F is concerned I would be surprised to see weight less than mid 3600lb mark, IMO between 3650 to 3750. If you look at current weight of new 2013 IS 350 F-sport at over 3700 pounds that right almost same weight as current IS-F. I don't think we are going to see significant drop in weight one it comes to RC-F.

IMO no one in there right mind would pay 100K for 460hp RC-F thats GTR,M5,M6,ZO-7,Jaguar F-type, C63 Black edition,911CS4 etc money, that puts in way different class of car. From all different people that have spoken to from Lexus they all seem to agree there will be bump up in price for RC-F putting closer to fully option out RC-F around 70k mark give or take you won't see it any higher than 75k. That would put right in line price wise with M3/4, C63, RS5. Remember Lexus pricing has always been more competitive than it's German rivals.

Last edited by Weapon F; 11-07-13 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-07-13, 08:50 AM
vbb

I think ISF001 meant well, but he just doesn't have accurate information.

The only way the $100K price tag would make sense is if Lexus really was putting out a vehicle that was somehow around 3100lbs and full of carbon parts to make it essentially a race car. I can see some enthusiasts wanting to pay 6 figures for that, because with 460hp and 400ftlbs of torque, a car a shade over 3000lbs is going to be FAST.

But no, we're going to get a standard size (read: heavy) RCF filled with leather and sound proofing and all the other things that make a Lexus a Lexus, and it's going to be a direct competitor with the M4 in performance and price. And I'll probably buy one someday.

Quick Reply: Debating on buying 2014 IS-F or waiting for the updated F car.