IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

BORLA CatBack Installed ..... puzzled :( HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-13, 09:18 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Update:

I went ahead and reset the ECU. I am glad I did, to it for a ride.......I can feel the power.
THE PUNCH IS BACK!!

The set of venturis just arrived from Borla. I will have them in later today.
The sound is also settling.....less obnixios tha yesterday.
Old 09-25-13, 09:05 AM
Rossi
Racer

Conclusion:
I can definitely feel some power gains by having the cat back system installed.
The sound on the outside of the car is absolutely fantastic. The proper V-8 sound.
The unfortunate part for me is the sound inside. I can't stand the low rpm drone.
It's not too bad if you drive it in the manual mode, if you drive in AUTO it is awful.
The sound creates a slight vibration throughout the car at certain rpm. Even after installing the Venturis.
Maybe, I am getting too old for this or I am not as much "fast and furious "as I used to be :-)
I am going back to stock

Last edited by Rossi; 09-25-13 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-25-13, 09:28 AM
JBFGS300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it vibrates they didn't align it correct when they did the Install. Also put the car in snow mode if you want the low take off drone to be reduced this believe it or not helps with getting better gas mpg as well.

Justin

Last edited by JBFGS300; 09-25-13 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-25-13, 09:52 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi
Conclusion:
I can definitely feel some power gains by having the cat back system installed.
The sound on the outside of the car is absolutely fantastic. The proper V-8 sound.
The unfortunate part for me is the sound inside. I can't stand the low rpm drone.
It's not too bad if you drive it in the manual mode, if you drive in AUTO it is awful.
The sound creates a slight vibration throughout the car at certain rpm. Even after installing the Venturis.
Maybe, I am getting too old for this or I am not as much "fast and furious "as I used to be :-)
I am going back to stock
How many miles have you put on the exhaust? It typically takes a couple hundred to break-in and will be quieter. I felt the same way when I first purchased a JoeZ exhaust for the car several years ago. I was ready to go back to stock immediately, but I took the advice of others and waited for the break-in and it was magically quieter.
Old 09-25-13, 12:42 PM
Rossi
Racer

Originally Posted by caymandive
How many miles have you put on the exhaust? It typically takes a couple hundred to break-in and will be quieter. I felt the same way when I first purchased a JoeZ exhaust for the car several years ago. I was ready to go back to stock immediately, but I took the advice of others and waited for the break-in and it was magically quieter.
Thank you for chiming in, I believe that the exhaust would possibly settle down a bit.
But, for me it was an eye opener, I absoulely love the luxury part of my car, being able
to peacefully drive if I choose to. The dual personality of the car is priceless to me.
Maybe I am getting older. I switched back to stock already, it was a heavenly drive home.
Old 09-25-13, 01:12 PM
JBFGS300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to hear obnoxious you should hear my CLK long tubes no cats dual 3 in and just mufflers loud but at cruise and highway zero drone evosport did my full system before going for the charger.
Old 10-19-13, 11:03 AM
VegasISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

correct me if i'm wrong here guys, but from what i've read from others the Borla catback alone will create some drone. When/if you install a set of headers the drone goes almost completely away. something to look forward to maybe i currently just have headers and cannot wait to get my hands on a borla!
Old 10-19-13, 07:59 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wanted to go Borla because I heard its the least drone/annoying for a DD. Are there any realistic gains in doing the exhaust vs the whole cat back system? Worth the extra $? I guess its not really about the $ but more so being able to make it sound better, perform a little better but be able to drive the car every day.

Also is it proven that driving in snow mode gets better MPG? Is this true on all Lexus/Toyota or just our ISF?