IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Have your cake and eat it too? My PPE Dual Mode Exhaust Review.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-16, 01:37 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Have your cake and eat it too? My PPE Dual Mode Exhaust Review.

UPDATED WITH VIDEOS. The mic on my Canon P&S seemed to have freaked out a bit at the beginning. I did all this across from BMW headquarters in Port Hueneme. =)

A little background:

About a year ago I installed a Borla full exhaust system on my ISF. I thought it was awesome (still do), the gains were there, dyno proven (28whp gain). I also happened to think it was great in the decibel department, almost no drone on the freeway, a tiny bit around 2000 RPMS but if it bothers me I just drop it down to 7th to get out of that tiny drone zone and and all is well.

Sound wise, it had more of an American muscle car sound to it, a few of my friends commented that it sounded like a Corvette or a Camaro. At first after installing it was LOUD, but after a month or so I kinda wished it was a little louder. My wife on the other hand said the noise made her car sick so we hardly take the ISF on any weekend getaways. It was either the S2k (not comfortable for long distance) or take her RX350, (bores me to tears).

Fast forward:
I was looking for an exhaust that was well made, quiet when my wife is in the car and ferocious when I'm alone on some nice canyon roads. The PPE's dual mode system fits the bill PERFECTLY. It was also priced very well for a dual mode vacuum operated system, well under $3k compared to like $5k or more from the other guys. I ordered my PPE Dual Mode system back in December directly from PPE Engineering, ETA on the build time was about 3 weeks and they delivered as promised. About a week after New Years for a late Christmas present to myself. It actually would have been done even sooner but I decided I didn't want my system to be made from "bling bling" polished SS, I wanted brushed so they gave me what I wanted while only extending my ETA by 1 week.

Paul from PPE Engineering is awesome when it comes to customer service, I must have sent him 50 or more emails and he always answered all my questions promptly with great knowledge and he never made it seem like I was bothering him. When I received the exhaust, there was a small mix up in the the packing and they shipped me two control switches and no vacuum solenoid. Paul quickly overnighted me a solenoid so I could finish up my install.

Fitment/Installation:
Fitment was excellent, the new ball/socket clamp connections are a huge time saver when positioning the system perfectly. You do need to add spacers (included) for the braces underneath to clear the system and you will have to cut a little bit of the exhaust finisher/diffuser on one side to clear the vacuum valve.

Installation of the system was very easy thanks to the excellent fitment, this system is a bit more involved than say your typical standard exhaust system. You need to run electrical connections and vacuum lines. The good news is everything is included for the install down to zip ties and heat resistant tubing.

If there was one negative I would have to say about the install was the included instructions, honestly they were pretty bad and I have brought it up with Paul and he said they are working on revising them. I mean it's pretty straight forward with common sense to figure out but some of the vacuum connections definitely needed better clarification with pictures/illustrations.

Sound/Performance:
This is where I definitely think the money was well spent. It feels like you have two exhaust systems installed. With the valves closed, it was barely louder than stock, and I really mean barely. On the freeway cruising, it could pass as the stock system. With the valves open, all hell breaks loose and the monster is unleashed. The tone of the system is very different from the Borla, while the Borla has a low throaty muscle car sound, the PPE dual mode has a slightly higher pitch, I wanna say exotic sounding. It sounds like a very smooth V8 with a hint of a VR6 R32 note thrown in it at some parts of the powerband. It sounds addictingly good. I had a guy just yesterday follow me off the freeway, he was in his full AUDI mechanics outfit and said he heard me from far back and had to chase me down to compliment on how good my exhaust sounded. With the valves open, it's definitely much louder than the Borla, definitely a Jekyll and Hyde exhaust. My wife commented on how soothing the exhaust sounds with the valves closed so that's a win right there.

Performance wise, seat of the pants it feels pretty much identical to my Borla which is a very good thing, lots of power everywhere compared to the stock restrictive system. Then again, I'm pretty sure all aftermarket systems that remove the 2nd cats completely would be pretty competitive power wise.

Enough with the boring stuff, on with the pics! Sound clips will definitely be coming soon!

The box and goodies inside!

Electrical

Vacuum splitting

Vacuum canister and switching solenoid

Vacuum and electrical routing

Spacers for clearance

Vacuum switch hidden as a foglight button

Last edited by RSXiMUS; 02-25-16 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-08-16, 02:41 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Great review! Congrats on the new exhaust! This definitely seems like the ideal exhaust to own. This way the wife can enjoy the F as much as you do driving it alone.
Old 02-08-16, 04:51 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Have any Videos?
Old 02-08-16, 07:02 AM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How'd you wire it to a fog light button??! That's genius! Write up?

I've been wanting something adjustable as well. I love loud all the time, but since I daily it, I wanted an adjustable option to quiet it down to avoid attention from the fuzz.

Last edited by lolfunxion; 02-08-16 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-08-16, 08:03 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Glad you luv it!!!!! Mine is still pretty fantastic too

Lou
Old 02-08-16, 08:56 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lolfunxion
How'd you wire it to a fog light button??! That's genius! Write up?

I've been wanting something adjustable as well. I love loud all the time, but since I daily it, I wanted an adjustable option to quiet it down to avoid attention from the fuzz.
Lolfunxion, they include the OEM fog light switch. It's really mostly plug and play, you just have to tap 1 wire for ACC POWER, 1 for ground and you're golden.
Old 02-08-16, 08:58 AM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS
Lolfunxion, they include the OEM fog light switch. It's really mostly plug and play, you just have to tap 1 wire for ACC POWER, 1 for ground and you're golden.
Wow, didn't know that! Just bought a Joe Z (for the 2nd time) to replace my ISS and now maybe I'll get one of these, but I'd like to hear one in person. I'm kind of an exhaust *****.

Are you in NorCal by chance?
Old 02-08-16, 09:06 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This is the exhaust I want, but the price has kept me back.
Old 02-08-16, 09:25 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

^^^^In this case you really get what you pay for. PPE does make an exhaust without the dual mode feature that is competitively priced with the other aftermarket dual exhaust systems. The only other maker of a vacuum operated exhaust for the ISF is Meisterschaft, which IMHO, is inferior to the PPE exhaust and costs quite a bit more.

Lou
Old 02-08-16, 09:34 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice review. The exhaust is beautiful

Can't wait for some video clips!
Old 02-08-16, 09:42 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lolfunxion
Wow, didn't know that! Just bought a Joe Z (for the 2nd time) to replace my ISS and now maybe I'll get one of these, but I'd like to hear one in person. I'm kind of an exhaust *****.

Are you in NorCal by chance?
I'm in SoCal, it's been really windy lately but once everything clears up I'll try to get some good exhaust sound clips with the valves opened and closed.
Old 02-08-16, 09:54 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^In this case you really get what you pay for.
I have no doubt. Just not in the position to have my cake and it too, at least not right now.
Old 02-08-16, 09:55 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

looks great man. did you end up paying retail from PPE? this would be a great exhaust if it was priced around 2200.
Old 02-08-16, 10:07 AM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

Sub'd for some videos!
Old 02-08-16, 10:22 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
looks great man. did you end up paying retail from PPE? this would be a great exhaust if it was priced around 2200.
ISFPOWER, I paid roughly $2900 total but I also ordered the high flow cat option. I think back when I ordered they had an extended Black Friday promotion.

Quick Reply: Have your cake and eat it too? My PPE Dual Mode Exhaust Review.