IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Transporting an ISF - any concerns?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-13, 12:57 PM
psixtc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
^Matt's crazy but he did inspire me to do my own road trip. Plus he had the cojones to drive to April's ISF mega meet in Delaware with headers + no mufflers!
I can't argue with being crazy, but the mufflerless drive has prompted me to install cutouts this winter.

So we don't get too far off topic, I use with John Golembiowski at Reliable Carriers for work when transporting prototypes. We have to use dedicated and locked trucks that run about $3500, but I'm sure would be significantly lower if you don't need a special truck.
Old 09-12-13, 12:57 PM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll fly to whereever you have it and bring it down for you lol... Seriously tho if you can take the 1500 mile drive i'd say do it and protect the front end. you will be saving 1000K plus. Just my .2 cents.

I drove to NY this past summer and came back to FL in my IS-F (round trip) i wasted about $350 in gas round trip.
Old 09-12-13, 02:11 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I would drive it back yourself. That's what the car is for and you will save a lot of money. The F is a great car for road trips.
Old 09-12-13, 03:15 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

I shipped my IS300 from NY to LA... I had no time to drive or road trip it.. circa 2002..

I used a "Rail Service" then... If I had to ship my F back to NY today, for sure an enclosed professional carrier would be the way to go

~ Joe Z
Old 09-12-13, 03:30 PM
shahir18
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not really about the joy of a road trip... I factored in the mileage, depreciation, rock chips, road derbies, tire costs, and etc. My IS F has 7,262 miles - the length of the drive is 2,400 miles... I find it well worth the cost/time for it to be shipped down here rather me drive it myself
Old 09-12-13, 05:20 PM
tommigsr
Pole Position

i'm bout to ship an F from rochester to los angeles, end of this month! can't wait...thanks for the recommendation for todd!
Old 09-12-13, 05:34 PM
shahir18
Instructor

Originally Posted by tommigsr
i'm bout to ship an F from rochester to los angeles, end of this month! can't wait...thanks for the recommendation for todd!
You're welcome. He is a very nice, trustworthy, and understanding guy... For anyone that uses him - Just tell him Shahir refereed/reccomended you (Todd)!
Old 09-12-13, 07:36 PM
RonC
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the replies.

So let me parse out one of the shipping details into another question...

What would I gain by paying for enclosed vs open transport?

I realize its more protected from the elements, but is that significant? It seems like road debris and rocks would need to take a somewhat obscure angled trajectory to hit anything. Aren't cars delivered open trailer to the dealerships every day? I don't want to take unnecessary risks with my new ride, but I don't want to pay extra if it doesn't really offer me any significant advantage. Would I be paying only for peace of mind, or is it really a superior transport option?
Old 09-12-13, 07:42 PM
shahir18
Instructor

Protection from... Rain (Hail), Sun, Bird Droppings, Bugs, Tree Sap / Branches, Vandalism, Other Vehicles (Oil Drips), etc

Plus Enclosed Haulers have a higher dollar amount and better insurance coverage
Old 09-12-13, 08:04 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by RonC

I realize its more protected from the elements, but is that significant? It seems like road debris and rocks would need to take a somewhat obscure angled trajectory to hit anything. Aren't cars delivered open trailer to the dealerships every day? I don't want to take unnecessary risks with my new ride, but I don't want to pay extra if it doesn't really offer me any significant advantage. Would I be paying only for peace of mind, or is it really a superior transport option?
Great Questions..!!

In short, dealership delivered new cars are usually a very short trip...
Plus, if anything happens during transport, it's fixed before its put on the showroom floor..

Go enclosed if you have the budget..

~ Joe Z
Old 09-12-13, 08:57 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

i shipped mine from Florida to NC at stock height with no problems at all. Good luck.
Old 09-12-13, 10:12 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RonC

a couple hundred bucks saved is all that you'll gain.

so to answer your questions...

would you be paying only for peace of mind? no, because you'll also be paying for protection from the elements.

is it really a superior transport option? opinions may vary, but the consensus is probably "yes".

depending on where your car is located on an open-air trailer, it may not be as exposed to the elements as you may think. remember, these trailers are double-deckers, so if your F was somewhere in the lower section, it would be more protected than, say, if it was in the top section.

on that note, if your car was coming down off an open-air trailer front end first, the front may scrape (slightly, but still nonetheless) at stock height. on the other hand, not so much if it was backing out off the trailer. ask me how I know.

you won't have any of the above-mentioned issues with an enclosed container, but that's what you're paying for.
Old 09-13-13, 04:32 AM
WillRockwe
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased my F from a dealer in Arkansas, I lived in New York City. I took two planes to get to Bentonville and the dealer met me at the airport with the car (picture shows the first time I saw it).
After a great lunch of Arkansas barbecue, I headed home. The drive took a leisurely three days, and the F and I were best friends by the time I arrived. I will always remember the experience, my new F and I flying across the country. It was like taking the time to get to know a new horse.
Pick the car up yourself, it will be a great experience.
Old 09-13-13, 05:22 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd recommend you just drive the darn thing! Besides, for the $1400 or so, they will probably just disable the speedo and get a kid to drive it anyway
Old 09-13-13, 06:00 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Just drive it, no better way to get used to your new F.

Quick Reply: Transporting an ISF - any concerns?