inovashn
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RR Racing coilovers noise

Anyone help me with deciphering the bomb of noise going on
Bought these:
https://www.rr-racing.com/RR-Racing-...isxfsu0004.htm

Finally had them installed 2 weeks ago
Upon initial talk with Rafi I based my ht and driving comfort level with 90% street and from where the 08 stock set a 1/4" higher in rear and 1/4" lower in the front to even out the wheel gap and give a tad positive rake (granted this I'm sure was hard to judge w an aging suspension)
Installed with the USRS road and track version up front as well.
Both front and rear were set to 15 out of 20 for firmness setting

Front is fine
Steering feels great and really responsive with zero issues as far as noise goes.

Rear drives fine but makes the weirdest/faintest noise
Sounds like its bottoming out, hitting a bump stop, or strut is tapping type of noise
Not a metal to metal noise, granted its muted due to being through a rear seat, fully dynamatted framing all around it and the rear deck, so its hard to make out.
But doesnt happen on 95% of driving just random little bumps (imagine driving over 2 pine cones back to back)
Its like it has to have the perfect ripples or bumps in the road to set it off and you hear it plain as day and can literally duplicate it on the exact same path (spots) to and from work.

Are they just f'd out of the box or??
Noise wasn't there prior....

I still just get the random scrub from the wheels whoever put on that aren't the correct offset in the rear (fenders are rolled but not tight best I can tell, was waiting to see if the suspension swap would fix this before buy fender roll tool or wcs new wheels and tires)
That has actually gone away from happening 15% of the time to about 1-2% depending on big dips (almost fixed it....)

but back to suspension first...
Old 03-01-24, 10:00 AM
Toprawman
Pit Crew

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by inovashn
Anyone help me with deciphering the bomb of noise going on
Bought these:
https://www.rr-racing.com/RR-Racing-...isxfsu0004.htm

Finally had them installed 2 weeks ago
Upon initial talk with Rafi I based my ht and driving comfort level with 90% street and from where the 08 stock set a 1/4" higher in rear and 1/4" lower in the front to even out the wheel gap and give a tad positive rake (granted this I'm sure was hard to judge w an aging suspension)
Installed with the USRS road and track version up front as well.
Both front and rear were set to 15 out of 20 for firmness setting

Front is fine
Steering feels great and really responsive with zero issues as far as noise goes.

Rear drives fine but makes the weirdest/faintest noise
Sounds like its bottoming out, hitting a bump stop, or strut is tapping type of noise
Not a metal to metal noise, granted its muted due to being through a rear seat, fully dynamatted framing all around it and the rear deck, so its hard to make out.
But doesnt happen on 95% of driving just random little bumps (imagine driving over 2 pine cones back to back)
Its like it has to have the perfect ripples or bumps in the road to set it off and you hear it plain as day and can literally duplicate it on the exact same path (spots) to and from work.

Are they just f'd out of the box or??
Noise wasn't there prior....

I still just get the random scrub from the wheels whoever put on that aren't the correct offset in the rear (fenders are rolled but not tight best I can tell, was waiting to see if the suspension swap would fix this before buy fender roll tool or wcs new wheels and tires)
That has actually gone away from happening 15% of the time to about 1-2% depending on big dips (almost fixed it....)

but back to suspension first...
Start with your rear end links and sway bars. Upgrade to adjustable endlinks. I've had that issue and I upgraded my rear sway bar and endlinks. Solved my noise issue.
Old 03-01-24, 11:04 AM
inovashn
Intermediate

Toprawman
Thanks for the heads up
Follow up question
If it wasn't a problem prior to suspension change @ 40k miles how did it become one instantly?
Old 03-01-24, 11:43 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Have you reached out to us or to Rafi directly? I'm sure he would be a great resource to help with this. If there's something wrong we will be the best people to help. Call, text or email us anytime
484-626-2266 - Rafi
Service@rr-racing.com

-Justin

Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 03-01-24, 11:44 AM
Toprawman
Pit Crew

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Toprawman
Thanks for the heads up
Follow up question
If it wasn't a problem prior to suspension change @ 40k miles how did it become one instantly?
Once you lower you car you are adding stress to the swaybars and endlinks that we're not made for lowered cars.
Old 03-03-24, 08:46 PM
nepereziva
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Toprawman
Thanks for the heads up
Follow up question
I just installed few weeks ago same exact coilovers as you did.
they really find their place and Seattle after a good tank of gas or two. I’m about to raise mines up about 1/2” both front/back. (I asume the addition on the supercharged up front didn’t help it either) but then again. It dosnt feel like SC adds a whole 140 lbs to the front like I’ve read on some threads here, more like about 70-80 pounds to be honest.

i had weird noises prior to coilovers, whence why I went all Polly bushings as much as I could.
No noises now. Just keep your bushings lubed, and make sure all bolts are tight.
then again. I’m around 120k miles now so that’s why I went all out with replacing old rubber stuff.

try raising your coilovers a little. And make sure you always use both wrenches to tighten adjustment nuts.
these are slightly stiffer. As they don’t use factory top hats like other coilovers but that’s a good thing. They’re more precise
Old 03-04-24, 04:40 AM
inovashn
Intermediate

I don't know if this was skimmed over in the original post by previous responses but the back is actually raised from factory ht.
Also was def raised from out of the box settings as well (I don't know if the pre-talk/pre-setup w Rafi had any bearing on this "out of box" setting or not)
Hadn't had a lot of seat time since but,
I did click 1 notch softer so went from 16 firm to 15 and haven't heard it this morning or friday afternoon.
I'm gonna give it another day or 2 driving and see.
Def have been through 2 tanks of gas and multiple driving situations to hopefully have settled as far as that goes.
I don't believe settling would effect the noise I was hearing tho
It was instant straight after install up until "maybe" the setting was softened up back to the original. 15 to 16 back to 15.

Weird regardless, will report more after mid week hopefully.
Old 03-04-24, 07:53 AM
nepereziva
Rookie

I don't know if this was skimmed over in the original post by previous responses but the back is actually raised from factory ht.
Also was def raised from out of the box settings as well (I don't know if the pre-talk/pre-setup w Rafi had any bearing on this "out of box" setting or not)
Hadn't had a lot of seat time since but,
I did click 1 notch softer so went from 16 firm to 15 and haven't heard it this morning or friday afternoon.
I'm gonna give it another day or 2 driving and see.
Def have been through 2 tanks of gas and multiple driving situations to hopefully have settled as far as that goes.
I don't believe settling would effect the noise I was hearing tho
It was instant straight after install up until "maybe" the setting was softened up back to the original. 15 to 16 back to 15.

Weird regardless, will report more after mid week hopefully.
I was high after installing for about first tank or so.
now after they’re settled, I’m about to raise if all 1/2”.
if you wana keep them on a softer side, don’t slam the car down and be surprised when you bottom out. You need to give it some travel room.

my biggest concern that made me get these, I was on swift springs all around and even with new bilsteins up front on some serous highway dips I’d regularly bottom out. + a bunch of tiny bumps/road imperfections would rattle whole car. (My swifts were probably quite tired upfront)

Tyrese shocks are amazing as far as comfort. But again, drive them some. Readjust the height. And if you like it soft. Give it some height/room for travel.
post a pic or two of your lad the way it sits on the ground.

P.S. the way I did after they settled, I parked the car on flattest parking lot I could find (checked both directions with a 4’ level)
then measured my heights asphalt to fender/quarter arch.

stood back a bit, and decided how much exactly to raise each corner. I guarantee you’ll have slightly different heights even between sides. So compensate accordingly.
might have to do it one more time later. But no big deal. These coilovers are super easy to adjust.

then on a lift I just went by my notes. And 1 wheel at a time. Raise or lower as u like. I used blue painters tape and measuring tape for reference point before loosening up the nuts and adjusting.
Old 03-04-24, 11:36 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by nepereziva
...now after they’re settled, I’m about to raise if all 1/2”...
So you didn't reset your bushings when you installed the shocks? There should NEVER be "settling" on your suspension unless you didn't follow the factory service manual's very explicit instructions to loosen all the suspension points, bounce the chassis, and retighten with the bushings at a neutral position. Failing to do this preloads the bushings at normal ride height and provides a "ghost" spring effect to the suspension. This is also true and necessary any time you change ride height.
Old 03-04-24, 04:08 PM
nepereziva
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
So you didn't reset your bushings when you installed the shocks? There should NEVER be "settling" on your suspension unless you didn't follow the factory service manual's very explicit instructions to loosen all the suspension points, bounce the chassis, and retighten with the bushings at a neutral position. Failing to do this preloads the bushings at normal ride height and provides a "ghost" spring effect to the suspension. This is also true and necessary any time you change ride height.
resetting what? Well technically I did loosen everything up as most of my stuff is all Polly around there.
upper control arms. Lower control arms, and even stabilizer bars bushings front and back. I relubbed them all when I was installing coil overs. Also relubbed all Polly diff bushings when I installed Cusco RS LSD %80 and new rear stabilizer links (fronts are less then 5K miles old, but I still wana to the closer links mounting hole mod up front.)
What else was I supposed to loosen? Steering ones I didn’t touch as I’m gona do realignment soon after I’m all happy with ride height, and after a tune sometime this week.
Old 03-04-24, 07:32 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

That's even more weird. You have all polyurethane bushings and the suspension "settled?" That should never happen. Springs will sag over time, but if they're not junk springs that happens after many years.
Old 03-05-24, 04:58 AM
inovashn
Intermediate

"if you wana keep them on a softer side, don’t slam the car down and be surprised when you bottom out. You need to give it some travel room."
its not slammed and actually raised from factory ht plus its 15 out of 20 on the stiffer side....ffs
Reading and comprehending is hard

Thanks for the input guy
Old 03-05-24, 09:29 AM
nepereziva
Rookie

"if you wana keep them on a softer side, don’t slam the car down and be surprised when you bottom out. You need to give it some travel room."
its not slammed and actually raised from factory ht plus its 15 out of 20 on the stiffer side....ffs
Reading and comprehending is hard

Thanks for the input guy
wooow didn’t mean to **** u guys off.
apologies for commenting at all. Plz ignore everything I’ve said.

P.S. These coilovers are on a softer side in general. Mine are also 6 clicks away from hardest setting. And they feel softer then my old swift/bilstein set up. (Kinda like stock 2012+ suspension now) but what do I know….