IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISS forged Qes exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-13, 07:13 AM
JohnathanK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ISS forged Qes exhaust?

What are the pros and cons? Recently purchased a Brand new lexus IS F 2013, and after listening to the ISS Forged Exhaust on the F i fell in love. Will it kill the reliability? Please tell me about your experience with it. Thank you! and also which would you prefer qes or des?

Last edited by JohnathanK; 08-07-13 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-07-13, 07:48 AM
MouthOfWar
Driver School Candidate

primary difference between QES and DES is that the QES is more for track performance. It will throw a code in your IS F when installed. The DES is street spec and won't do that.

I have a DES on order now.
Old 08-07-13, 07:55 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts

The only con of the QES: it's loud!
One of the pros of the QES: it's loud!

An exhaust won't exactly compromise reliability, but this exhaust has caused some interior rattles in-cabin.
The sound, the slight performance increase, the 'real-tip' look as opposed to the oval quad 'fake' exhaust tips...ISS qes is my favorite exhaust for the ISF, hence why I own it.
However, it is rare and has been discontinued.

It will drone, and with headers, it will rasp.
Here's a link to a cold start (this is with sikky headers, but cold starts are loud regardless with the qes):
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...66327701037441
Old 08-07-13, 08:01 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Originally Posted by MouthOfWar
primary difference between QES and DES is that the QES is more for track performance. It will throw a code in your IS F when installed. The DES is street spec and won't do that.

I have a DES on order now.
qes will not throw a code. it is just metal pipes replacing metal pipes.
installation is key.

I can install a track exhaust, a street exhaust, a space travel exhaust...as long as install is clean, no codes will be thrown.

Even my headers didn't throw a code
.....yet
Old 08-07-13, 08:14 AM
MouthOfWar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDMV8
qes will not throw a code. it is just metal pipes replacing metal pipes.
installation is key.

I can install a track exhaust, a street exhaust, a space travel exhaust...as long as install is clean, no codes will be thrown.

Even my headers didn't throw a code
.....yet

My quote came from Dustin at ISS Forged. This is what he told me when I asked him the same question.
Old 08-07-13, 08:19 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Originally Posted by MouthOfWar
My quote came from Dustin at ISS Forged. This is what he told me when I asked him the same question.
Just clearing up any misconceptions
Old 08-07-13, 09:23 AM
clifftrail
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had both and currently have the DES. Like already said it's a noise preference and maybe a little more power that really isn't noticable.

I never threw any codes with either system since they both have O2 bungs and both eliminate the secondary cats. The DES is more liveable day to day. I personally feel like the DES is a more daily driver friendly exhaust as I always felt like I displaced some torque with the QES (never had it dyno'd to prove though).

If you throw a code its because you damaged the o2 or have the wires twisted and there is too much resistence but not because of ISS.
Old 08-07-13, 10:09 AM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

I really like the ISS exhausts but feel the QES would just be too loud for me as a dd. The DES is the better way to go IMO.

No cat-back should throw codes unless it is installed improperly.
Old 08-07-13, 11:59 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by anxiouz
I really like the ISS exhausts but feel the QES would just be too loud for me as a dd. The DES is the better way to go IMO.

No cat-back should throw codes unless it is installed improperly.
Its a header back....not a CAT back

...and many experience problems with air leaks and bad gaskets, because unlike Joe Z...ISS does not really include proper gaskets with their systems, especially off of the headers. Even the best installations can have follow up issues, as the system flexes and heats up and cools down over time. A good installer will fix these issues as they happen post install.

No two car and drivers are alike

Digger08
Old 08-07-13, 02:40 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by digger08

...and many experience problems with air leaks and bad gaskets, because unlike Joe Z...ISS does not really include proper gaskets with their systems, especially off of the headers. Even the best installations can have follow up issues, as the system flexes and heats up and cools down over time. A good installer will fix these issues as they happen post install.

Digger08
Every exhaust company I've ever dealt with includes new exhaust gaskets.. if ISS doesn't include it then there has to be a reason why.. their exhaust is a premium and they cannot expect the customer to source one separately.
Old 08-07-13, 04:29 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpat
Every exhaust company I've ever dealt with includes new exhaust gaskets.. if ISS doesn't include it then there has to be a reason why.. their exhaust is a premium and they cannot expect the customer to source one separately.
Includes gaskets, they just don't work very well....and in my case they forgot to send me the main b pipe one.

Digger08
Old 08-08-13, 04:58 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by digger08

Digger08
Header back/ cat back, same thing as far as marketing goes. Joe Z is cat back, ISS is cat back, borla has a cat back and a axle back. Its back from the primary cats is all.

ISS is still making some exhausts, talked to them not to long ago about it.