IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Strasse Forged: Im sending the wheels out for a new look

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-13, 06:42 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Strasse Forged: Im sending the wheels out for a new look

Many of you have seen my Strasse Forged race prepped R10 with matte black faces and polished aluminum lips.... Well a year in the east coast has ruined those once beautiful polished lips and if I'm gonna send them out might as well really change it. I'm going to have the matte black faces changed to brushed then having them titanium tinted powder coated which is a darker translucent gray/slver put on the face. Having the pitted, polished lips sanded down and powder coated gloss clear after the lips have been brushed. Getting rid of my black hardwear and havng new Stainless put in too, to go with the new silver center caps. Wheel are getting dropped off at ups in the morning. Il keep this updated as a get teasers from STRASSE. Thanks goes out to Chris at Strasse, again and again their service is top notch, hands down one of the best wheel companies in the biz.

Heres what one looked like when it went out...

Teasers of wheels after powder coating...

After being sealed!!! SO CLOSE

Last edited by darbs242; 06-14-13 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-20-13, 07:19 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Nice! How about some before and after pics of the wheels?
Old 05-20-13, 07:22 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think I'll join for pics of the outcome.
Old 05-21-13, 09:52 AM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like it's going to look good!
Old 05-22-13, 12:23 PM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow darbs those look terrible...
beautiful rims, but i'm shocked at the toll the climate has taken
Old 05-22-13, 12:34 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn kinda sucks to pay that much for those wheels and they already have to be refinished.
Old 05-22-13, 12:53 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ Yep, so much easier to keep your car clean in NV/CA and other tropical areas of the US. I'm sure all of us in the Northeast would drive our cars less often in the winter if we had a choice. Looking forward to the new look Ryan.
Old 05-22-13, 01:18 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

This is a perfect example of why your rims need to be protected just as much, if not more than your paint.

A high quality wheel sealant is key and should be applied regularly. Not only will this keep the wheels protected, but it will also make them much easier to clean!

If you do not want to worry about applying a sealant or wax regularly, apply (or have someone apply) a permanent protection such as Opti-Coat 2.0 to them.
Old 05-22-13, 01:25 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What do you suggest, zmcgovern? Our OEM Brembo pads dust like crazy. I feel like the dust has eaten away at the clear coat, not sure what pads Ryan (OP) was running. I will get my wheels refinished soon, and want to keep them looking new from that point onwards.
Old 05-22-13, 03:40 PM
darbs242
Racer

^^^ Thats part of the problem, I had no clear coat, its straight polished aluminum, which was my first mistake. If I had had the lips brushed and powdered coated clear they would still look fine. Another issue is last season I was on the track with these wheels a lot and that put a serious hurting on them with lots of super hot brake dust. The last part is, im a slacker when it comes to cleaning wheels. The new color combo should be much better for my slackness and the environment im in, along with using different wheels at the track, the new refinish should hold up for a few years easy. Raw polished aluminum was the worst choice i could have made initially for the Northeast. For the record im running stoptech street pads daily (which have little dust compared to stock) and carbotech xp12/10 on the track (which dump dust).
Old 05-22-13, 03:43 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking forward to the new finish. When I lived in Montana you pretty much had to have a winter set of steelies with all the salt and gravel they use in the winter time.
Old 05-22-13, 03:47 PM
darbs242
Racer

Originally Posted by CalitriSC
Looking forward to the new finish. When I lived in Montana you pretty much had to have a winter set of steelies with all the salt and gravel they use in the winter time.
I dont drive my car in the winter... its just the left over salt and dirt on the road from ice protection over the winter, not cleaning them enough and i made the mistake of a high maintenance finish for the lip originally... Not the case for round two.
Old 05-22-13, 07:34 PM
darbs242
Racer

Bad new hit tonight as I got a call saying they will not pin strip over powder coat because it won't last. painting the lips and pin stripping was an option but they said it's not a good option for me because of the northeast road salt conditions So Im keeping the wheel changes but switching to a brushed and clear powder coated lip. It won't pop quite as much as the other combo but I feel like I'm getting what's right for me and what I put the car threw.
Old 05-23-13, 07:45 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
What do you suggest, zmcgovern? Our OEM Brembo pads dust like crazy. I feel like the dust has eaten away at the clear coat, not sure what pads Ryan (OP) was running. I will get my wheels refinished soon, and want to keep them looking new from that point onwards.
Originally Posted by darbs242
^^^ Thats part of the problem, I had no clear coat, its straight polished aluminum, which was my first mistake. If I had had the lips brushed and powdered coated clear they would still look fine. Another issue is last season I was on the track with these wheels a lot and that put a serious hurting on them with lots of super hot brake dust. The last part is, im a slacker when it comes to cleaning wheels. The new color combo should be much better for my slackness and the environment im in, along with using different wheels at the track, the new refinish should hold up for a few years easy. Raw polished aluminum was the worst choice i could have made initially for the Northeast. For the record im running stoptech street pads daily (which have little dust compared to stock) and carbotech xp12/10 on the track (which dump dust).
As I mentioned before... a product like Opti-Coat 2.0 provides very long lasting protection (meant to be permanent provided routine upkeep is maintained!). This product is essentially an additional layer of clear coat (or, in the case of bare metal, a primary clear coat) that works to protect the surface from contaminates and harmful UV damage. These products work fantastic, provided the correct preparation is followed. I have a similar coating (22ple VX1 Pro) applied to my paint, and have used OC2.0 on several customer vehicles. I highly recommend these coatings for maximum protection from the elements.
Some more info on Opti-Coat 2.0 from the manufacturer:
Originally Posted by www.opti-coat.com
Opti-Coat (Opti-Guard) is a hard wearing, aftermarket, ceramic clear coat for superior resistance to scratching (9H) and chemical etching from environmental impacts. It provides permanent protection for all factory paints, and can also be applied to exterior glass, metal and hard plastic surfaces.

Opti-Coat is not a wax or sealant like other products on the market. It is a ceramic clear coating very similar to factory type clear coats. A layer of Opti-Coat measures approx. 2 microns in thickness, or about 100 times thicker than your typical wax or sealant. Unlike paint protection sealants such as PTFE, Nano Sealants, GlassPlexin that degrade over time and are easily removed through washing with water or chemicals, Opti-Coat does not degrade and cannot be removed by chemicals such as heavy duty truck wash or even caustic degreasers. It is totally resistant to these chemicals and produces a permanent film that is chemically bonded with the factory paint layers. Opti-Coat is effectively the vehicles new outer clear coat. It is far more resistant to chemical etching than factory clear coats and far more resistant than competing paint protection sealants. The 2 micron layer also provides a thick buffer between any damage and the factory paintwork. twork.
Don't let the price scare you... 1 tube of OC2.0 can do a couple of cars... or many sets of wheels. Once again, proper preparation is KEY when using these coatings, so it is highly recommended to have your vehicle polished and coated by a well-known, trusted, professional detailer in your area.

Tip for finding an installer: If they have not heard of Opti-Coat, then they are probably not right for the job. This is a very well known product in the detailing industry, however there are far too many people out there who claim to be "detailers" that will simply make your car worse than it was before you brought it to them... we refer to these people as "hacks"

Let me know if you've got any more questions!
-Zach
Old 06-14-13, 10:24 AM
darbs242
Racer

bump, update with teaser pics

Quick Reply: Strasse Forged: Im sending the wheels out for a new look