IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

I could use some non-bias reviews and opinions before next car purchase.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-13, 01:16 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I say go drive all 3 if you already have not. I have driven modded 335i's and still would pick my F any day over that car. And the CTSV is still a "GM" car no matter which way you look at it. Doesn't compare to Lexus overall quality IMO. I think you will end up liking whatever you do pick though.
Old 05-08-13, 01:27 PM
SSxblazer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
no limited slip in 08 and 09 models....this neutters the car...
Has anyone swapped a diff in one yet? Say going to Swell and buying a 2010 diff? Or aftermarket?
Old 05-08-13, 02:02 PM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

I'd recommend the F, but I'm biased!

If the $$ allows, go with a 2010 or newer ISF, the "upgrades" (read changes) to the car are worth it, IMO.

As a 2002 IS300 owner as well, I waited for a few years on the F to allow for the changes to be made and picked up a 2012 at the end of January of this year.

As already mentioned, the mod's are limited for our car. However, with the standard I/H/E you're right at 400 at the rear wheels and you're not like all the other ISX50's out there. The F stands alone in that regard and it does get noticed.

The handling is great, the looks are really nice and with a decent set of wheels + a drop you will get compliments.

YMMV, best to you on whatever you choose.
Old 05-08-13, 02:42 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by SSxblazer
Has anyone swapped a diff in one yet? Say going to Swell and buying a 2010 diff? Or aftermarket?
Yes...me See my thread on it.

also no catch can because the motor has an internal catch can type device already....
Old 05-08-13, 06:33 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unbiased...there is no such thing in reality.

I had experiences with bimmers that ate up $20,000 in warranty repairs. The 335i does not compare, IMO, to the F. It's a 5.3-5.5 sec ride that shuts down at 130 mph. You wind that toy all the way up and, trust me, you will blow up something-just like the poorly fabled M3. I have had the pleasure of spending way too much time in both.

GM and Lexus...the comparison is like apples and guava. The Cadu has had plenty of problems. Do some research and understand where you are headed before joining the GM club.

The F is a one of a kind, exhilarating, addictive and gratifying driving experience. Its dual personality is unique--Clark Kent and Superman.

Unbiased? It's just the facts. Good luck with the next ride.

Last edited by ISF001; 05-08-13 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-08-13, 07:38 PM
CK9887
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

Persoanlly, I'd stay away from the BMW. It's worse than the IS-F in every aspect. Even if you get the power you're looking for after mods, you've got reliability issues and the interior is just too bland like all other BMW's.

CTS-V... Now that's hard to beat. Although, if you've only got $37K to spend, be careful. You might find one in this price range but it's probably got a rough history.
Old 05-08-13, 08:07 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you go Cadu, test drive thoroughly for tranny problems.
Old 05-08-13, 08:46 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

There are a good many of us former 335i owners on here. That's a nice car with a great aftermarket that can really scoot when modded properly, but it just isn't as reliable as a Lexus. I wanted a fast and practical daily that I could trust day in and day out. That's why I have an ISF. It's not the fastest car out there and not the most practical either, but it is a great all around performance sedan that does a lot of things well.
Old 05-08-13, 09:18 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I want an unbiased opinion, so I'm going to go to where all the IS F owners hang out...LOL!

BMW is fun, but get ready to pay for it. CTS-V will have amazing power, but that's about where it ends. The IS F has the best balance of everything.
Old 05-09-13, 05:36 AM
SSxblazer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vbb
There are a good many of us former 335i owners on here. That's a nice car with a great aftermarket that can really scoot when modded properly, but it just isn't as reliable as a Lexus. I wanted a fast and practical daily that I could trust day in and day out. That's why I have an ISF. It's not the fastest car out there and not the most practical either, but it is a great all around performance sedan that does a lot of things well.
And thinking more and more on it. You're thinking exactly what I am thinking.....dwelling on.....
Old 05-09-13, 05:39 AM
SSxblazer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Just F Me
I want an unbiased opinion, so I'm going to go to where all the IS F owners hang out...LOL!

BMW is fun, but get ready to pay for it. CTS-V will have amazing power, but that's about where it ends. The IS F has the best balance of everything.
lol! I know. But what I was trying to convey which I did a silly job at is I wanted ISF owners to kinda....step out of their ISF shoes and tell me if they have major or minor issues......would they change their minds on getting an ISF if they could and what would they get instead.........

Old 05-09-13, 06:21 AM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

lol! I know. But what I was trying to convey which I did a silly job at is I wanted ISF owners to kinda....step out of their ISF shoes and tell me if they have major or minor issues......would they change their minds on getting an ISF if they could and what would they get instead.........

Most issues are minor and they're pretty well detailed on this forum. Again, I'd recommend a 2010- ISF for this very reason.

Lexus addressed the issues and made positive changes to the car.

Seeing the mileage on your GS300, you should be well aware of the reliability of the Lexus products, so far it extends to the F model.
Old 05-09-13, 06:57 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The thing is, I don't think personal bias has much bearing on what most people are posting.

The F is a very reliable car; evidenced by people who regularly track the car, as well as those who daily drive it, sun, rain, or snow. It gets relatively good gas mileage (19-20 city, for me), competes well with its power, handles nicely, comes with an excellent gearbox, and must have some of the easiest brakes I've had to change. Those are mostly objective points, with bias only coming in as a factor when the culmination of those things managed to sway me towards a final purchase (which came in at a much more competitive price, I'd add).

It's not the most powerful car out there, and doesn't have the depth of aftermarket that others enjoy. You can build faster cars for cheaper, without question. And of course, there are areas for improvement, some of which Lexus has managed to touch on with each consecutive year.

I'm likely missing some other bits, but most other criteria gets subjective. Through and through, it's a solid car.
Old 05-09-13, 07:51 AM
SSxblazer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Beachtyme
Most issues are minor and they're pretty well detailed on this forum. Again, I'd recommend a 2010- ISF for this very reason.

Lexus addressed the issues and made positive changes to the car.

Seeing the mileage on your GS300, you should be well aware of the reliability of the Lexus products, so far it extends to the F model.
A 2010 would be out of my price range to be honest. Unless I wait another 6-ish months.

What I may do is still get an 08.....and whatever changes I feel should be made, I will make.

Everything Lexus changed can be addressed with aftermarket. So coil-overs to address the roughness. And an LSD can be bought and swapped.

That's if the ride is too rough for me, and I feel it needs an LSD. The G35 coupe I owned had a viscous LSD.....I don;t think I am good enough of a driver to notice the difference between an LSD and none.....but I have never been in a car where it didn't have then did have one.....just had cars with them and with out them.

I think I am sold on an 08 Lexus ISF. Now to find one at the right price
Old 05-09-13, 08:41 AM
poster123
Driver School Candidate

I went for ISF over BMW M3, Audi S4, and Mitsu EVO MR. Too many issues with these German cars and Mitsubishi has a rough ride. I did not consider CTS-V. Just not my cup of tea.

Quick Reply: I could use some non-bias reviews and opinions before next car purchase.......