IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Worst GPS system ever!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-13, 09:22 PM
lx470man
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

after owning a 08' for a while now, I can tell you for a certainty that the following is what blows about the 2008 model;

1. Mark levinson sucks *****, worst upgrade ever where you had to pay extra for a crappier system
2. Suspension setup suck *****, accentuated when speeding on a freeway at 60-80 mph and the roads are not perfect
3. Navigation sucks *****, 60% of the time It will not locate the address I am trying to go to
4. Auto mode sucks *****, way to slow to react the F feels like a is250. The sport mode should be what normal mode is and the sport mode should be much more responsive as in pedal response, steering and suspension should be tightened also and not feel as if I am riding a horse
Old 02-15-13, 02:59 PM
Damage
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I've been using this Nav override product for over 4 years...

100% problem free and it works great!!! Best part about it, is that it is 100% plug & play and reversible..

NO WIRE HACK JOBS, which VOID the entire Nav & Radio units..

http://www.prestigioussociety.com/?page_id=138

Never looked back after buying it.

Also, recently got the latest Nav update disc which works great too.

~ Joe Z
How much does the stealership charge for the updated nav disc?
Old 02-15-13, 04:07 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is the worst navigation unit I have ever played with. It can't find more than 2/3 of the addresses i put in. Pus its insane the way it wanted you to input it.
I was hoping it was gonna be the ish since it was my first Lexus
Old 02-16-13, 12:18 AM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I kinda like my navigation unit!

Updates via microSD card, I can update maps anytime via my computer.

Also, the loading screen when I start my car is a picture of my actual car. (same pic as the one in my sig)
Old 02-16-13, 06:31 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

^ what is that?
Old 02-16-13, 08:44 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IceIridium
I kinda like my navigation unit!

Updates via microSD card, I can update maps anytime via my computer.

Also, the loading screen when I start my car is a picture of my actual car. (same pic as the one in my sig)
How did you get that interface? Details please
Old 02-16-13, 09:52 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

LOL...is it really THAT bad? Because it doesn't have some features you want it's the worst? lol...works fine for me.
Old 02-16-13, 01:21 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
^ what is that?
It's a Flyaudio unit. OEM look with a front mounted DVD slot. There's a big thread about it on the 2IS section. It's designed for non-Navi IS's.

My F is one of the rare F's without factory Nav so I went this route. I can load any exe Navi program (so far I've tried 4 types and right now I'm using iGo Primo with a custom skin). Many features like rendered elevation and buildings and 3D view which factory Nav program doesn't have. It's not perfect by any means but it's a good solution.

However I don't know if it will fit IS's with factory Nav. I think the plugs may be different.

There's apparently another company now that makes a unit with '09+ style bezel for a lot cheaper than the Flyaudio unit but you have to order direct from China. There's another thread for that too.
Old 02-16-13, 01:23 PM
djeuch
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't think the system is really all that bad. Sure, it's not the most advanced thing out there, but the interface, although it could use improvements, isn't horrible, and generally accurate enough for me.

Remember that with any GPS system, you should have some idea on what a good route is (and alternatives) before you jump in the car!
Old 02-16-13, 01:46 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
LOL...is it really THAT bad? Because it doesn't have some features you want it's the worst? lol...works fine for me.
He is also up graded to 12.1 newest version
Old 02-18-13, 03:59 AM
quarius
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

100% problem free and it works great!!! Best part about it, is that it is 100% plug & play and reversible..

~ Joe Z
Yup, I use this exact one. Works great so you can control the nav, make phone calls and play DVDs while driving. Not like you would watch movies while driving at all.
Old 02-18-13, 10:18 AM
Reaper21
Pole Position

The 08 Acura TL-S I came from did have a MUCH better nav than my F, but the F nav still isn't horrible. It is slow as **** compared to Acura/Honda's tho.

~ Joe Z
Can you explain how this hooks up? I went to the link you provided but it did not expand much on how the unit is connected to the car.
Old 02-18-13, 10:23 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by lx470man
after owning a 08' for a while now, I can tell you for a certainty that the following is what blows about the 2008 model;

1. Mark levinson sucks *****, worst upgrade ever where you had to pay extra for a crappier system
2. Suspension setup suck *****, accentuated when speeding on a freeway at 60-80 mph and the roads are not perfect
3. Navigation sucks *****, 60% of the time It will not locate the address I am trying to go to
4. Auto mode sucks *****, way to slow to react the F feels like a is250. The sport mode should be what normal mode is and the sport mode should be much more responsive as in pedal response, steering and suspension should be tightened also and not feel as if I am riding a horse
someone has an obsession with *****

Old 02-18-13, 11:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Reaper21
The 08 Acura TL-S I came from did have a MUCH better nav than my F, but the F nav still isn't horrible. It is slow as **** compared to Acura/Honda's tho.

Can you explain how this hooks up? I went to the link you provided but it did not expand much on how the unit is connected to the car.
you have to access the harnesses at the back of the head unit. comes with all instructions on how to take it off
Old 02-18-13, 11:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by anxiouz
There are 2 while-car-is-in-motion lockdowns...

(1) "nav" which includes browsing mp3 folders, entering nav destinations, accessing the phonebook, placing calls

(2) "dvd" which will allow video

The "browse folders" basically means browse music.

Without a nav bypass your can't browse an iPod using the nav screen once the car is moving. The folder/file buttons get disabled. If you burn a disc with mp3's on it now, once your moving all you can do is click Next Track/Previous Track. You can't touch the screen to switch folders. Same concept/interaction applies to an iPod.

I've got the BeatSonic nav+dvd bypass in addition to an iPod integration kit. I haven't looked back. Some ipod kits include the nav bypass, some don't. The ML+ is the grand-daddy though...I'm pretty sure it does it all.
vaistech ml+ does not allow nav override, it only enables video when car is moving

Quick Reply: Worst GPS system ever!