IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

What Improvements do You Think Need to be Done to the ML Audio System?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-12, 04:21 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What Improvements do You Think Need to be Done to the ML Audio System?

I know the sub and amp are definitely things that need to be replaced. So what other things do you think could be improved and what would you replace it with? I know I would replace the sub with a JL Audio 12W7AE-3 12" but don't what I would replace the amp with...
Old 10-02-12, 05:19 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mjthind
I know the sub and amp are definitely things that need to be replaced. So what other things do you think could be improved and what would you replace it with? I know I would replace the sub with a JL Audio 12W7AE-3 12" but don't what I would replace the amp with...
I have the ML in my '12. I honestly listen more to the F than the music. I crank it occasionally, and it works for this audiophile who has purchased a lot of high end audio gear for the home.
Old 10-02-12, 05:48 PM
vbb

Received 198 Likes on 96 Posts

I used to be way in to car audio, with all sorts of systems in all sorts of cars. I even attended SPL and SQ+ events, subscribe to Car Audio & Electronics... the whole 9. The ML system could use a little more power and a little more low-end bass, but it is not nearly as bad as some people say it is. I actually find it quite acceptable for the loudness that I like these days. I'd only maybe add a 10" sub with 250W continuous power to it, but I'm in zero rush to do that and it is way down on my list of potential mods. Ten years ago, I'd have wanted much more bass and much more in the midrange than the ML system offers.
Old 10-02-12, 07:18 PM
7No
Intermediate

PM meade916 and check his thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-in-trunk.html
Old 10-02-12, 09:22 PM
meade916
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vbb
I used to be way in to car audio, with all sorts of systems in all sorts of cars. I even attended SPL and SQ+ events, subscribe to Car Audio & Electronics... the whole 9. The ML system could use a little more power and a little more low-end bass, but it is not nearly as bad as some people say it is. I actually find it quite acceptable for the loudness that I like these days. I'd only maybe add a 10" sub with 250W continuous power to it, but I'm in zero rush to do that and it is way down on my list of potential mods. Ten years ago, I'd have wanted much more bass and much more in the midrange than the ML system offers.
i agree. Most people don't want to go all out but i feel the ML needs at LEAST 200 more watts on the bass (since it almost doesn't exist), a better sub (stock sub is a joke), and 75 more watts on the mids/highs. Maybe less in an IS250 or 350 since they don't have the V8 For me, if i was to stay stock, thats what would leave me "content". I HAD to upgrade, not to "boom" but because i got tired of my system "running out of gas" so quick every time i heard a song i liked.

FYI: to anyone who upgrades their system. The front 3" midrange and tweet (together) outputs distort at #55. The door woofer (midbass) does not distort at full volume, the rear speaker outputs distort @ #57 and the woofer output distorts @ 45. If you don't have an O-scope or a DD-1, you are going to have trouble setting any gains on your LOC, Crossover, or amplifiers but at least you know now where the deck stops making clean power. Ever hear of people blowing their STOCK sub? thats from bumping too hard (trying to bump hard anyway lol) at way past 50 on the deck. Its getting major dirty power at that point.

here is the tool i use. An O-scope will work too but this product doesn't just detect a clipped signal, it detects DISTORTION. When setting gains, this is critical info.

Last edited by meade916; 10-02-12 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-03-12, 04:35 AM
vbb

Received 198 Likes on 96 Posts

Yep, the sub definitely distorts at around 45, thanks for posting the data Meade! I don't listen to my stock system past 40-42. The bass sounds too dirty beyond that. Like I said though, that's good enough for my daily listening. These days I listen to almost as much sports-talk radio as I do my iPod. Every now and again I'll come across a hip-hop track from the mid-late 90s though and really want to crank it. That's when I want more bass.
Old 10-03-12, 06:09 AM
chris6878
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know why but the isf ml sounded like crap compared to my 07 ls ml. I gutted the isf system and few quite a few dollars into the system. Now it sounds much better than my ls. I am tempted to throw my old subs into the ls but the ml in the ls is a very nice sounding system. The isf ml was very disappointing
Old 10-03-12, 06:13 AM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

none.
and I cant stress that period enough
Old 10-03-12, 03:45 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by meade916
i agree. Most people don't want to go all out but i feel the ML needs at LEAST 200 more watts on the bass (since it almost doesn't exist), a better sub (stock sub is a joke), and 75 more watts on the mids/highs. Maybe less in an IS250 or 350 since they don't have the V8 For me, if i was to stay stock, thats what would leave me "content". I HAD to upgrade, not to "boom" but because i got tired of my system "running out of gas" so quick every time i heard a song i liked.

FYI: to anyone who upgrades their system. The front 3" midrange and tweet (together) outputs distort at #55. The door woofer (midbass) does not distort at full volume, the rear speaker outputs distort @ #57 and the woofer output distorts @ 45. If you don't have an O-scope or a DD-1, you are going to have trouble setting any gains on your LOC, Crossover, or amplifiers but at least you know now where the deck stops making clean power. Ever hear of people blowing their STOCK sub? thats from bumping too hard (trying to bump hard anyway lol) at way past 50 on the deck. Its getting major dirty power at that point.

here is the tool i use. An O-scope will work too but this product doesn't just detect a clipped signal, it detects DISTORTION. When setting gains, this is critical info.

Thanks for the advice Mead...
Old 10-03-12, 03:49 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chris6878
I don't know why but the isf ml sounded like crap compared to my 07 ls ml. I gutted the isf system and few quite a few dollars into the system. Now it sounds much better than my ls. I am tempted to throw my old subs into the ls but the ml in the ls is a very nice sounding system. The isf ml was very disappointing
What did you use?
Old 10-03-12, 04:38 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Oh ya if this changes your suggestions I listen to a lot of rap and a little bit of reggae...
Old 10-03-12, 05:59 PM
chris6878
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mjthind
Oh ya if this changes your suggestions I listen to a lot of rap and a little bit of reggae...
I also listen to rap and reggae.

I have two tru technology amps. A bit ten signal processor. Morel elate 3 way in front. Morel hybrid 2 way in back. And one morel ultimo 12 in the trunk.

Used second skin to seal the car. I went for sq.

I'm thinking of putting my two eclipse 12s in my ls from my old car. Sometimes I wanna beat down the block. Lol
Old 10-03-12, 08:20 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Besides not rattling my chest with bass, I have no complaints with the ML to be honest. It's easily the best "factory" stereo I have ever owned in a car and I'm 37.

Yes, I would like "moar powa!" but I don't find I experience much distortion or other annoying issues. It's just not "thundering" in my chest which I certainly wouldn't expect from the factory.

And I only get into the 20's on the volume scale...with the windows down...on the freeway. How the F are you guys hitting 50+?!
Old 10-03-12, 09:12 PM
meade916
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by anxiouz
Besides not rattling my chest with bass, I have no complaints with the ML to be honest. It's easily the best "factory" stereo I have ever owned in a car and I'm 37.

Yes, I would like "moar powa!" but I don't find I experience much distortion or other annoying issues. It's just not "thundering" in my chest which I certainly wouldn't expect from the factory.

And I only get into the 20's on the volume scale...with the windows down...on the freeway. How the F are you guys hitting 50+?!

it really has nothing to do with "thundering". The woofer is so weak it sounds like it isn't even there. Everyone is different though, some people leave their music at super low volumes and are completely content with that. Even i listen to talk radio half the time. Its just not some peoples thing. To those who it is their thing, the ML, IMO just needs a LITTLE bit more. I know everyone isn't gonna do what i did But then again, even with 1 15, and about 7,000 watts total, my system isn't made to "thunder". Its geared toward SQ. My "upfront bass" with the new 6.5" RF T5 door speakers kick the CRAP out of the stock 8" woofer. I gave that thing away (to the first CL member that needed one) after i took it out.
Old 10-03-12, 09:21 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

i agree with ANXIOUS.

i think most of these reviews from forum members, they expected heavy bass like from what two aftermarket 12s or something. you are not going to get that sound right ouf of factory. i have owned two 350zs with the "upgraded" bose system , bass was loud but speakers and imaging was horrible. i had a g35 with upgrade bose, the bass that came from those 6x9 was deep as hell and clearl but still doesn't sound as nice overall as the ML on this ISF. e46 m3 and e92 m3 harmon kardon, can get really loud without distortion and bass was decent but still doesn't sound as good as the ML. mitsu evo with the rockford fosgate system and sub, still not as good as ISF. loud bass is just not for everyone when lexus was making this car. i love bass, had a nice systems over the years using JL , image dynamics, hertz, rainbow, RE, Fi, DLS, trust me when i say to the people who are interested in the ISF and to not be steered away from these reviews. bring your fave cd down to the dealership and test it and see if its worth it to you because every opinion on ML is subjective depending on person and age and lexus made the system to please most people.

idk if it was the extra hefty pricetag that makes people want more from this car but to everyone that is interested in getting an ISF and sees these horrible reviews from owners, the ML system would most likely make these people happy and they dont know it and just jumping on the bandwagon.

Quick Reply: What Improvements do You Think Need to be Done to the ML Audio System?