IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Transmission Problem: Funky shifting and harsh reverse

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-18, 02:41 PM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by EJAB
I know I am revisiting an old thread, but some people were wondering how old Lexus ISF will do after some high mileage. My ISF with 101500 miles on it (bought it brand new), decided to do the same thing as described in this thread. Yesterday, I started the car, placed in on R, and car didn't move and when accelerated it sounded like the brake were lock or something. I thought I was dragging something so I got out and finally realized it was a problem with the R gear. I was able to put it in N, took it for a spin and transmission was shifting great going forward, all 8 gears.

I did some of the recommendation, removing sensors, etc, but not success.

Today, I took it to the Lexus service, where I have done all the services for this car, and I was informed that transmission was the problem....with a quote of 11k! I left the dealership and now the transmission is slipping some gears and not shifting smoothly.

To make this more interesting, back in 2015, my wife RX350 (2007 with 105000 miles - also bought it brand new) left her stuck, car not moving at all after she came to a stop sign. The transmission was rebuilt, but it wasn't shifting smoothly, so she got pissed and we traded it for a 2015 GX 460. Fast forward, 3 years, now it is my Lexus ISF having transmission problem at 101500 miles.

The service advisor talked to service manager and will call Lexus to see if they can help with the cost.

I am a lucky man, 2 Lexus, serviced by the dealer and came with transmission problems around the 100000 miles mark. Lexus/Toyota well known for it reliability, but now I am wondering if soon we will have transmission problems with the GX460.

I just wanted to share my experience about a high mileage Lexus ISF and transmission problem. Not many out there, but I am joining the lucky few!
Man, sorry to hear this happened to you. Same thing happened to me at 80K. I had a 3rd party warranty at the time and they luckily covered it.
They used a low mileage (20K) transmission and it totaled around 5K for the entire job. I am assuming 11K is with a rebuilt/new trans?
It seems like your are now the 4th person to have this happens, it is probably not anything you did as it seems all the transmissions fail the same, with reverse going out via partially operable clunking/jerking, then the forward gears follow shortly afterwards. Maybe a small batch of defective units, I hope.
Old 01-23-18, 02:44 AM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I heard/read quite a few stories about Lexus transmission issues. I wonder if it's all because of Toyota WS lifetime fluid combined with specific driving and maybe climate? (short city drives maybe)
My dealer nearly refused to change tranny fluid, and in the end said that if I really want to waste my money it will cost me about $600-700 bucks.
Old 01-23-18, 11:06 AM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kolyan
I heard/read quite a few stories about Lexus transmission issues. I wonder if it's all because of Toyota WS lifetime fluid combined with specific driving and maybe climate? (short city drives maybe)
My dealer nearly refused to change tranny fluid, and in the end said that if I really want to waste my money it will cost me about $600-700 bucks.
I don't think the lifetime fluid is the culprit. It appears most major failures were around 100K or less. Most fluids that require changes and are neglected still go far beyond 100K. Also this seems to be an immediate failure, In my experience cars with degraded fluid tend to show a more gradual mode of failure. Something about the immediate hard mechanical failure makes me think it is a function of a defective unit. Also it seems like most cases fail first in reverse, I would think fluid wouldn't dictate an initial consistent failure in a particular order on all the samples we have seen.
The way I experienced the failure seems like it was a gear set that broke and not a clutch pack. With my car everything was working fine, no slips, snappy shifts and then one day I go into reverse and pop. It was more similar to a rear differential failure where gear teeth break off. I have had a transmissions go out due to neglected fluid and it is almost always a clutch pack that slips and then eventually goes out completely.

But to go along with your point, I do think if a manufacture wants to use a "lifetime" fluid they should warranty the internal components for a lifetime , as long as a dealer confirms everything was to spec and not tampered. Unfortunately it appears that a manufacture can legally decide what "lifetime" means
The following 2 users liked this post by Piston1047:
BS ISF (01-23-18), kolyan (01-23-18)
Old 01-23-18, 01:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

My ISF had transmission slip in 5th Gear when I traded it. As I accelerated in 5th you could see the rpm climb and then drop by 150 rpm then rise again. I noticed the same thing on the SC RCF videos on YouTube
Old 01-23-18, 05:23 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by kolyan
Which vehicle did Lexus refuse to change the fluid on?

V.
Old 05-24-18, 07:01 AM
Bast59
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi guys,

I'm new member of this forum and ISF owner since 4 months, that's a very nice car who can be a beauty or a beast, love it ! But I have a problem with the gearbox, and here in France there is less than 100 ISF so it's difficult to find someone who great knows this car, even on Lexus ...

When the car is cold, no problem. But when it's warm, in normal or sport mode and D, when I'm between 20 and 50 mph and the car is on high gears so low rpm (around 1200 rpm) and I want to accelerate gently, the car suddenly shaking ... When I downshift, problem gone. Looks like the car don't see it's "underrevs" (sorry don't know the exact word) so don't downshift to a proper gear. Anyone have seen this before, or have an idea of the problem ? Also, when I'm in manual and on the same situation, no problem.

I went to a Lexus dealer, who told me to do a transmission flush (3,7L and replace the filter) but if it don't works they have no other solution.

My apologize for the mistakes, and thanks for your help

Bastien

Last edited by Bast59; 05-24-18 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-24-18, 09:30 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Bast59
Hi guys,

I'm new member of this forum and ISF owner since 4 months, that's a very nice car who can be a beauty or a beast, love it ! But I have a problem with the gearbox, and here in France there is less than 100 ISF so it's difficult to find someone who great knows this car, even on Lexus ...

When the car is cold, no problem. But when it's warm, in normal or sport mode and D, when I'm between 20 and 50 mph and the car is on high gears so low rpm (around 1200 rpm) and I want to accelerate gently, the car suddenly shaking ... When I downshift, problem gone. Looks like the car don't see it's "underrevs" (sorry don't know the exact word) so don't downshift to a proper gear. Anyone have seen this before, or have an idea of the problem ? Also, when I'm in manual and on the same situation, no problem.

I went to a Lexus dealer, who told me to do a transmission flush (3,7L and replace the filter) but if it don't works they have no other solution.

My apologize for the mistakes, and thanks for your help

Bastien
The dealer's suggestion is a good start if the transmission is the root of the problem. It will take more than 3.7l if they change the filter, and from my experience, if the fluid level is low, even a small amount, the transmission will malfunction.

I would also consider new spark plugs if yours are near the end of their service life (100k km). While it could be the transmission, it could also be the engine itself.
Old 05-24-18, 09:54 AM
Bast59
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The dealer's suggestion is a good start if the transmission is the root of the problem. It will take more than 3.7l if they change the filter, and from my experience, if the fluid level is low, even a small amount, the transmission will malfunction.

I would also consider new spark plugs if yours are near the end of their service life (100k km). While it could be the transmission, it could also be the engine itself.
Thanks for your answer, I'll let the dealer do this and we'll see ... Good to know for the level of transmission, the car has been serviced at 123k kms at a Lexus dealer in England, and all the fluids were done, maybe a bad refill of the transmission ...

For the spark plugs, they've been done at 105k kms, the car has now near 130k kms, will do it if the oil trans change don't solve the problem
Old 05-24-18, 02:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Thanks for your answer, I'll let the dealer do this and we'll see ... Good to know for the level of transmission, the car has been serviced at 123k kms at a Lexus dealer in England, and all the fluids were done, maybe a bad refill of the transmission ...

For the spark plugs, they've been done at 105k kms, the car has now near 130k kms, will do it if the oil trans change don't solve the problem
They were changed on schedule, so I would leave them alone. The only other possibility is bad fuel.

I am not sure what the European maintenance schedule says about the transmission fluid. Here in the US there is no maintenance for it according to Lexus. In Canada, there is a service for replacing it. I would expect in Europe there would also be a service for the fluid, so when you say all the fluids were checked, it is possible they did nothing more than a visual inspection for leaks and not an actual check of the level. Hopefully, it is as simple as setting the level correctly. Let us know how it goes.
Old 05-25-18, 01:39 AM
Bast59
Driver

They were changed on schedule, so I would leave them alone. The only other possibility is bad fuel.

I am not sure what the European maintenance schedule says about the transmission fluid. Here in the US there is no maintenance for it according to Lexus. In Canada, there is a service for replacing it. I would expect in Europe there would also be a service for the fluid, so when you say all the fluids were checked, it is possible they did nothing more than a visual inspection for leaks and not an actual check of the level. Hopefully, it is as simple as setting the level correctly. Let us know how it goes.
Ok for the spark plugs. For the fuel, it don't think so, because no matter if it's 98, 98 Excellium, or 100 V Power, always the same problem.

No maintenance, like BMW here ... Such a shame
Find out that for the ISF on Europe the maintenance for transmission fluid is at 90k kms, and it has been done. So like you said, maybe at the last service it was just a leak inspection ...

The car goes to the dealer on 25th June, I will tell you the result.
Old 06-30-18, 05:41 AM
Bast59
Driver

Hi,

Got some news, after the flush and filter replacement, always the same problem ...

But they told me that it missed 1,2 liters of trans oil after they flush, but no leaks, so thanks to Lexus in England who made a flush in past November ...

They don't have any idea other than change the torque converter, but without guarantee to solve the problem ...

Just a question, if it was the torque converter, the problem will happen both in Drive and Manual, no ?
Old 07-01-18, 07:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Hi,

Got some news, after the flush and filter replacement, always the same problem ...

But they told me that it missed 1,2 liters of trans oil after they flush, but no leaks, so thanks to Lexus in England who made a flush in past November ...

They don't have any idea other than change the torque converter, but without guarantee to solve the problem ...

Just a question, if it was the torque converter, the problem will happen both in Drive and Manual, no ?
No the problem will not necessarily happen in both modes. In manual mode the torque converter locks in all gears except first, so if it were the torque converter it would exhibit the problem in all modes other than manual. Manual would not be affected.
Old 07-01-18, 08:00 PM
Bast59
Driver

No the problem will not necessarily happen in both modes. In manual mode the torque converter locks in all gears except first, so if it were the torque converter it would exhibit the problem in all modes other than manual. Manual would not be affected.
Ok, good to know, thanks for explanation.
Will try to do the same that on this thread, maybe it will help ...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-3rd-gen-2006-2011/691336-transmission-shudder-shake-on-light-acceleration-is-this-normal.html
Old 07-02-18, 09:46 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Ok, good to know, thanks for explanation.
Will try to do the same that on this thread, maybe it will help ...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...is-normal.html
Take a sample of the fluid and send it to an oil analysis lab. They'll be able to tell you if the fluid really is the issue. I've sent mine twice and never had any issues with my transmission. I have over 240k km on mine and I have been to the road course 6 times over the years. I only recently changed the filter and did about a 50% fluid swap. It made no difference to the operation of the transmission.
Old 02-24-19, 10:59 AM
Bast59
Driver

Hi guys,

Little update since, 4 months ago a flush of the trans fluid was done with the procedure said in the #17 post of this topic :
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014/880364-big-leak-of-coolant-under-my-2008-isf.html

7L of fluid were changed (but I've forgot to take a sample of the old fluid ...), problem was still here and only on D like before, just a little bit less. But Thursday another problem showed up. Car was warm, I left a round about for a straight line and was in D, put it in M, the car was in 3, I've accelerated normally till 4500 rpm and upshift, and nothing ... So tried another upshift and still nothing. Tried downshift, nothing, another downshift, nothing ... So continue to drive without trying anything else and 20 seconds after, the two upshift and two downshift happenned. Just after, tried another upshift and it was ok, so tried a downshift and when it happenned, a loud squeaking noise happenned in the same time and car was shaking. Put it in D and shaking stopped, no problem till I park it. Yesterday and today I drove the car and no problem at all, it drives like before in D or M, R is ok too. I will take a sample of the actual fluid, but don't know what can cause this trouble ... Maybe the squeaking noise was the torque converter ?

Quick Reply: Transmission Problem: Funky shifting and harsh reverse