IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Header install w/ OEM Air/Fuel sensors for less $$

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-12, 09:44 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Header install w/ OEM Air/Fuel sensors for less $$

I just wanted to share something I came across to other member that may install Headers in the future. As we all know the Air/Fuel sensors are almost a guarantee additional cost.
During my header install I had little luck with saving the sensors and needed to bite the bullet.
After a little shopping around I found Denso sensors for $134 each which is far less then the OEMs.
Typically I only use OEM for stuff like this but I have found a few Denso parts for the Supra and MR2 that are the actual OEM parts for less money. Turns out this is the case regarding these sensors!
When I opened the box I found that they had ground down the OEM etched Toyota name and the OEM part number! I was still able to read the writing despite there efforts. It's hard to see in the pictures but you can make out part of it.

These are the same exact sensors that you would get from Lexus for a much lower price!

Old 08-26-12, 09:55 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome! Great find bro! Im taking note of this and probably just gonna order for the sake of the install, thanks bro!
Old 08-26-12, 10:27 PM
DonTN
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THANKS!! That is amazing news for me.
Old 08-26-12, 10:33 PM
Blacky
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great work, where did you purchase from?
Old 08-27-12, 09:04 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

that is good news now hopefully my install will come soon. i can find these easily...omg!!!
Old 08-27-12, 10:13 AM
F4Fast
Pole Position

With alot of patience, you can save the stock o2 sensors.

A can of WD40 and right size wrench (19mm or 3/4) and make sure you do it yourself. Givig it to a shop, of course the quicker they are done the sooner they get the next one in.

Spray the hell out of those sensors.
Break them loose.
Once they are broken loose, SPRAY it more and make sure you get the threads.
SLOWLY, VERY SLOWLY, back and forth motion will allow you to loosen the sensor more and at same time allow the wd to seep into the threads.
Once you feel it get hard again, you spray more wd and continue the back and forth process.

I did it on my f, saved both, and have done it numerous times on other cars, trucks and 18 wheelers with a regen system. Takes alot of time and patience, but its worth it, especially when its your money on the line.
Old 08-27-12, 10:42 AM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

^ might work for some people but defiantly not me.. i spray almost a full bottle of PB blaster and tap it nice and slow but still manage to strip it out.

Good find RCB!!!
Old 08-27-12, 10:59 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Are these not Lexus OEM 02 sensors? Where is the big price gap?
Attached Thumbnails Header install w/ OEM Air/Fuel sensors for less $$-sewell-o2.jpg  
Old 08-27-12, 11:02 AM
F4Fast
Pole Position

Obby ive been successful with every single one so far. Maybe im just lucky, but wife tells me i have alot of patience lol. Good find nonetheless. I wonder if the o2 sensors we use are the same as the ones for my car. Thy look pretty similar.
Old 08-27-12, 01:21 PM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PurduePete
i dont think thats the correct one.. add it to the cart and see if the part match to whats needed.
Old 08-27-12, 01:29 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^yea I could have sworn they cost about 200 each from sewell...
Old 08-27-12, 01:32 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Sewell has a pretty close price for sure but they wanted $75 for shipping and $10 more for the sensors. Plus you have to wait to get them. If I wanted them right away I would have to go to a local dealership and pay closer to $200 each.
You can get the Denso sensors for a retail price around $130 with no shipping cost at some local autopart stores.
If I compare the wholesale price I get on Denso to the CL discount from Sewell then that puts the price gap right back in to prospective.

Originally Posted by F4Fast
Obby ive been successful with every single one so far. Maybe im just lucky, but wife tells me i have alot of patience lol. Good find nonetheless. I wonder if the o2 sensors we use are the same as the ones for my car. Thy look pretty similar.
F4Fast, I actually did what you said. Up here in New England I deal with cars that see winter and have fought and won with some pretty seized parts over the years. I sprayed the sensors and left the car on the lift the night before. I spent over 1 hour to massage that one sensor out of my 40k mile car that never went through a winter. As you can tell I lost. I tried to use heat on the second one just to see if it would come out but it started to tip and jam. It actually spread a brand new Snap-On O2 sensor socket enough to make it slip! I have a wrench that the connector fit through but that didn't do it either. At that point my time was worth more then the sensors. Oh well, you win some you loss some.
Old 08-27-12, 01:34 PM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 65 Posts

These are the downstream ones. On the description it will say air/fuel sensor. They are $200 plus
Old 08-27-12, 01:40 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

^^^^ Good catch, I didn't even notice that. I thought that when I checked Sewell they where ~$175 each. All I remember is that they wanted $75 for next day and that was the deal breaker.
He's right, those are the Bank 2 O2 sensors you have pictured not the Bank 1 A/F sensors I'm talking about.
I bet those are under $100 in Denso boxes
Old 08-27-12, 02:28 PM
raceism
Rookie

good info! *thumbs up*!!

Quick Reply: Header install w/ OEM Air/Fuel sensors for less $$