IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Found an Ebay front lip - replica??

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-12, 11:00 PM
rc2o6
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Found an Ebay front lip - replica??

Found a front lip for the ISF for $220 + $80 for shipping. What do y'all think? Anyone purchase this before or have any experience with the seller? Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-2009-0...ht_5068wt_1393

Possibly a Lexon replica front lip??
http://vipautosalon.com/store/index....nt-lip-spoiler

*updated photos on post #77*

Last edited by rc2o6; 09-04-12 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-07-12, 11:31 PM
RX7 RAGE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, It's a replica of the Lexon front lip, but that one is not in CF.
Old 08-08-12, 12:15 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

U r driving an ISF , do it right and dont do it at all
Old 08-08-12, 06:45 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by blitz_714
+2
Old 08-08-12, 07:07 AM
Nate008
Pole Position

I have a rep CF Lexon front lip. Mine cost me 1/4 of the price of the real Lexon one. Me personally, I didn't see a point in paying over a grand for such a small piece that's somewhat hard to see, that's going to get scratched up or worse in its lifetime anyway. People do love this style of lip and I have gotten a bunch of compliments on it. They can't tell its a rep/99% of them never heard of Lexon when I mention that mine is a cheap version of theirs lol.

I bought mine from another CL member on here so I don't know if this could possibly be the same company that made mine except non-cf. They seem to have a high percentage of good reviews and have a bunch of lips for sale. I do wonder why it said 09+ISF when 08 has same bumper.
Old 08-08-12, 07:24 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This vendor (Nextmod) is a good business and trust worthy. The lip fits like a glove and is finished in flat black. It is a "Lexon Style" lip - they only had about 10 of these made and many local IS F members here in Toronto purchased them. They have a website and are one of the main aftermarket support vendors to the entire tuner market in the city. They specialize in everything JDM and have been around for years.

Looks like the lip sold anyways.

Digger08

Last edited by digger08; 08-08-12 at 08:19 AM.
Old 08-08-12, 07:28 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMV8
+2
HEY! What's wrong with putting cheap chinese ebay replica parts on my $60,000 car?
Old 08-08-12, 07:28 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ Yup, somebody pulled the trigger, the lip is gone!
Old 08-08-12, 07:31 AM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

+3
Old 08-08-12, 07:40 AM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate008
I have a rep CF Lexon front lip. Mine cost me 1/4 of the price of the real Lexon one. Me personally, I didn't see a point in paying over a grand for such a small piece that's somewhat hard to see, that's going to get scratched up or worse in its lifetime anyway. People do love this style of lip and I have gotten a bunch of compliments on it. They can't tell its a rep/99% of them never heard of Lexon when I mention that mine is a cheap version of theirs lol.

I bought mine from another CL member on here so I don't know if this could possibly be the same company that made mine except non-cf. They seem to have a high percentage of good reviews and have a bunch of lips for sale. I do wonder why it said 09+ISF when 08 has same bumper.
Well someone has to spend the time to design the part and do the R&D on it to test it. This time cost money and they have to be able to make it back. Not to mention you have higher price since the car is not as common and people who mod them are even less common so less possible sales.

Then these other companies come along and just make a mold of these parts and sell them. You wonder why the cost of good parts keeps going up it is because other places make copies of these parts. Why don't these companies make their own part design instead.
Old 08-08-12, 08:03 AM
zmw
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WReuroR
Well someone has to spend the time to design the part and do the R&D on it to test it. This time cost money and they have to be able to make it back. Not to mention you have higher price since the car is not as common and people who mod them are even less common so less possible sales.

Then these other companies come along and just make a mold of these parts and sell them. You wonder why the cost of good parts keeps going up it is because other places make copies of these parts. Why don't these companies make their own part design instead.
You know this water just doesn't hold water with everything.. The problem is the prices are so ridiculous that they aren't even reasonable - There is a non stop argument on supra forums about this same type of thing. The biggest one is about the cost of exhaust manifolds, you can buy chinabay knock offs for 200$, but "respected" companies are asking for 1600-2700 for their manifold, when the reality is that MOST of those companies get them manufactured in China anyway.

I personally bought the 2700$ full race manifold for my car, but I had a legitimate performance reason to do it (road race the car, need low boost control)...

My point is these comapnies would see far less up take on fake parts if their parts were marked up into the sky for something that costs them maybe 25$ to make. It's not like I think ANY of these companies did any real R&D, I would bet that spoiler has never been wind tunneled or flow tested for turbulance, and it's purely there for cosmetics, in which case it took someone just a few days to take a design they've used on other cars, re-arrange it a bit, redo the mounting holes and and then create a mold.

The reality is that the brand name companies are very likely NOT producing their own product and are having them mass made in China anyway.
Old 08-08-12, 08:13 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I personally wouldn't waste money on a lip, but if I were to get it, I would take it to a reputable shop and get it painted USB, but make sure the shop paint matches.

Last edited by VtotheJ; 08-08-12 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-08-12, 08:16 AM
rc2o6
Driver

Thanks for all the input everyone

I was going to grab it and have it vinyl wrapped in CF by a local guy that did my rear bumper but looks like someone beat me to it.
Old 08-08-12, 08:23 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by zmw
The reality is that the brand name companies are very likely NOT producing their own product and are having them mass made in China anyway.
Bingo. If anyone here has had any experience through work or otherwise about manufacturing and branding, they would realize that there are often very little differences between things that are authentic and things that are replicas in the build quality and manufacturing locations. This is not to say that you can apply this blanket statement to everything... and to be honest, I'd be leery about buying a replica of something that could potentially hurt me if it fails (wheels, brakes, steering components, etc), or something that could really damage my car if it doesn't fit right (aftermarket hardtops for convertibles or aftermarket moonroofs, etc). But for something like a rear diffuser, front lip, center console cover, or some other completely useless "show" part, buying the authentic piece for 3-4x more than the replica is nothing more than brand snobbery in my opinion.

I'm a former Honda guy, and heaven forbid you ever bought something Megan rather than Mugen, you'd get flamed right off the boards. People would rather spend $1000 more for an authentic Mugen piece of plastic or fiberglass just for the 3 or 4 other brand snobs who could recognize the difference to ooh and aah at it at a local parking lot meet-up spot. To each his own, I guess.
Old 08-08-12, 08:49 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

mugeeeeeen poweeeeeer ah mah gawd vtak!

Quick Reply: Found an Ebay front lip - replica??