IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Monsters of Grip

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-12, 06:53 AM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Monsters of Grip

Monsters of Grip: Nine Summer-Performance Tires Tested, by Car and Driver was an interesting read. I thought I would post this since there are many ISF threads discussing these tires and this article tests 9 of the top performance tires together.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
Old 08-02-12, 07:02 AM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very informative. Thanks for posting this!
Old 08-02-12, 07:23 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought this was a link to some kinda p0rn thing....

I understand the comparison, but they're putting MAX performance vs EXTREME performance. Yokohama Advan and Hankook RS-3s are some serious tires. They should have included Bridgestone RE-11 and Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s....

I just got onto my 3rd rear set of Bridgestone RE-11s yesterday....AWESOME tires but they're pricey at $300 a pop.

Last edited by Just F Me; 08-02-12 at 07:33 AM.
Old 08-02-12, 10:26 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Just F Me

I understand the comparison, but they're putting MAX performance vs EXTREME performance. Yokohama Advan and Hankook RS-3s are some serious tires. They should have included Bridgestone RE-11 and Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s....

I just got onto my 3rd rear set of Bridgestone RE-11s yesterday....AWESOME tires but they're pricey at $300 a pop.

Finally fix those wheel directions ????
Old 08-02-12, 10:37 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love the Pilot Super Sport, they grip incredibly well and wear even better.
Old 08-02-12, 01:49 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Yes it would have been nice to throw the RE-11s into the mix, but PS2s??? The PSS mops the floor with the PS2s from everything I have read and everybody I have talked to. Why throw the last generation of a tire in the mix with the new improved generation of a tire from the same company?
Old 08-02-12, 02:36 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Finally fix those wheel directions ????
I don't know what you're talking about The guy was a noob...thank god he didn't scratch my rim, but it took him about 30 minutes just to get one tire off, then the store manage came and did the other tire in like 2 minutes. Not sure how they put the rim back on...how is it suppose to go on again?

Is this correct?

Originally Posted by ISFpat
I love the Pilot Super Sport, they grip incredibly well and wear even better.
How many miles have you gotten on them? My RE-11s I had for about 32k miles for the rear, and the fronts are at 32k and still 50% tread left at least. Not bad for a 140 treadwear, A temp, A traction tire.

Originally Posted by Gymkata
Yes it would have been nice to throw the RE-11s into the mix, but PS2s??? The PSS mops the floor with the PS2s from everything I have read and everybody I have talked to. Why throw the last generation of a tire in the mix with the new improved generation of a tire from the same company?
PSS, PS2, Tirerack has so many versions on there, I didn't know what's what. Plus the Michelins are like 75-100 more per tire...I'm not sure how much better they are than the Bridgestone RE-11s...
Old 08-02-12, 02:43 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

PSS, PS2, Tirerack has so many versions on there, I didn't know what's what. Plus the Michelins are like 75-100 more per tire...I'm not sure how much better they are than the Bridgestone RE-11s...[/QUOTE]

I probably would have bought the RE-11s if they were that cheap...everything I have read about them is good. I couldn't find them for less than the PSSs. They are cheaper than the PS2s though. I'm not sure why Michelin still sells the PS2s anymore since they are very expensive and not the best tire anymore.
Old 08-02-12, 04:09 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Is this correct?
Left Side Rear - Yes

Lou
Old 08-02-12, 06:38 PM
Linkseal
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RE-11 hands down, can't wait getting them till my PSS die
Old 08-02-12, 06:40 PM
Linkseal
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only draw back for RE-11 is road noise (we are talking about ultra summer performance so no rain check)
Old 08-02-12, 06:40 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gymkata
I probably would have bought the RE-11s if they were that cheap...everything I have read about them is good. I couldn't find them for less than the PSSs. They are cheaper than the PS2s though. I'm not sure why Michelin still sells the PS2s anymore since they are very expensive and not the best tire anymore.
Tirerack.com has them right now for $326 a tire...I got them mounted and balanced locally for the same price. Might have saved $10-15 a tire if I bought online, but the tire was crazy worn out and the I actually some how got a 1inch gash on the side wall...time to go...If the tires were new and it got that I would have been pissed.

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Left Side Rear - Yes

Lou
Left side rear? That's actually the front side left....

Joe Z made some comment before about my wheels and the blades going the wrong way or something...I should change it...but I'm lazy
Old 08-02-12, 06:42 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Linkseal
Only draw back for RE-11 is road noise (we are talking about ultra summer performance so no rain check)
Road noise? Don't know what you're talking about...they're perfectly quiet to me...even when they're really super worn down.

Plus I have no mufflers and no resonator...so road noise is the least of my concerns...
Old 08-02-12, 08:58 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Tommy I'm on the PSS for about 10k, I'll let you know when they reach 50%.. I drive harder than normal though and I can rotate the tires so its a bit different than on an F
Old 08-02-12, 09:04 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Plus I have no mufflers and no resonator...so road noise is the least of my concerns...
This is off topic but damn, no resonator? Must be loud / raspy

Quick Reply: Monsters of Grip