IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Annoyed - New Coilovers - Too Low

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-12, 03:02 PM
Ryanmac
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoyed - New Coilovers - Too Low

So I put on my new BCR's last week. They are great. Today I went to get them height adjusted and aligned. I went to a shop in VA that has a great reputation. I didn't realize that the car had settled as I had been out of town, so the height I had in mind (based on two of the wheels sitting perfectly) had changed. I had to wing it.

I think I told the guys to go too low. The tech was an IS250 driver with a nice ride. He recommended a great looking stance which I agreed with. He thought any rubbing would only be on the tire well.

I noticed on the ride home that I was scraping. I had hoped it was the plastic on the undercarriage and/or the tires hitting the wheel well, but on the highway I could feel the bumper hitting. I pulled over and called the shop back; they didn't have time to get me back in today.

I did some decent damage to the front bumper. I also noticed some deep scratches on the side that were not from the highway but I don't know if I can prove it was them.

I am guessing that this falls on me since I signed the paperwork and I'm the one who agreed with the recommended height. I should have turned right around...

Now I have to go back next weekend and be uber-careful driving this week. Check out the pics for the damage. It's been raining so it is kind of hard to see.

Any advice? I have to pay the shop again for a front height adjustment and a new alignment. Can I get these touched up professionally?
Attached Thumbnails Annoyed - New Coilovers - Too Low-img_2114.jpg   Annoyed - New Coilovers - Too Low-img_2123.jpg   Annoyed - New Coilovers - Too Low-img_2128.jpg   Annoyed - New Coilovers - Too Low-img_2129.jpg   Annoyed - New Coilovers - Too Low-img_2125.jpg  

Old 07-21-12, 03:31 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Yeah, that is dropped pretty low. What shop did you take it to? What part of VA are you in?

As for the damage to the underside/front bumper area, that's going to be difficult to fix. I mean, you could have it sanded, primed and reprayed, or you could get a new front bumper (or even a front lip to cover most of it). From what I can see though, it's on the underside of the car, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it really bothers you, get some sandpaper yourself and some touch up paint to try and blend it in a little.

Oh, and how is the ride with the BC's? I am considering them.
Old 07-21-12, 08:00 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

The car is way lower in the front, its not even at all. You could raise the fronts yourself in about 10 minutes. Sucks about the scrapes under the bumper, but I doubt anyone will notice unless you point it out. And just remember you need to be much more cautious after lowering your car.
Old 07-21-12, 08:19 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Coils are easy to adjust, why not just adjust them now, and be done with it?
Old 07-21-12, 09:08 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

the beauty of coils is you can do them yourself!!!!
Old 07-21-12, 09:40 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to learn how to drive a lowered car son! Cut that wheel! Don't blame them for your mistake!
Old 07-21-12, 09:54 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Raise them up yourself....if you don't know how...ask and learn. Your wallet will thank you for it.
Old 07-21-12, 10:17 PM
lexuswtf
Lexus Test Driver

get a metal skid plate made... that's what I did
Old 07-21-12, 11:00 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

I think they could easily do a courtesy adjustment for you...

It should be obvious to them that it's TOO low.. Especially after the springs settled in.. and you show them the bumper scrapes..

On a side note.. What color is your pin stripe..??

Joe Z
Old 07-22-12, 05:27 AM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Car looks slammed in the front... no where close to an even drop... self adjust them like everyone sugests to do, didnt they come with instructions on how to adjust? Just read them, jack up the car, make your adjustments, lower your car and go from there... Learn now incase you needed to make any adjustments in the future... GL bro!
Old 07-22-12, 06:13 AM
SargeISF
Lead Lap

Just do it yourself. Its extremely easy!

http://youtu.be/UiiId9lsgno
Old 07-22-12, 06:42 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

OP, don't take it the wrong way, a lot of us including myself have been in your exact same situation. It is b/c the shop's view of a nice stance is always going to be more aggressive than you. Having mental memories of dropping hundreds of cars compare to you dropping for the first time, you can understand how they're a little aggressive. I've had to adjust my V3s 4 times before I was content. After the 2nd time, I decided to just do it myself.

As for bottom scrapes, it is an inevitable occurrence once you're lowered. Someone was absolutely correct when they said not to worry about bottom scrapes b/c it can't be seen.

I do like your idea of dropping first before aftermarket wheels. Sometimes I see the opposite and no matter how nice the wheels are, it just looks really tachy.
Old 07-22-12, 09:34 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

easy fix........raise it up a few mm's in the front.
Old 07-22-12, 10:02 AM
djhydro
Driver

Question: Once raised a few MM does one have to do an alignment again?
Old 07-22-12, 11:24 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by djhydro
Question: Once raised a few MM does one have to do an alignment again?
Technically, yes. Your changing the geometry of the ride

When I had coilovers, I always bought those 3 year alignments with unlimited adjustments

Quick Reply: Annoyed - New Coilovers - Too Low