IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Purchasing Used IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-12, 04:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,844 Likes on 2,332 Posts

There's no difference in engine performance, but a few members have had engine issues requiring extensive teardown and valvetrain replacements. They have been rare, but it has happened.

No one has mentioned issues with anything else in the engine/transmission but a few have also had a clicking from the rear which turned out to be loose axle nuts.

No one has had an issue Lexus failed to fix or had a claim denied and posted about it.
Old 07-16-12, 05:58 AM
ToooZeRo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all. I test drove one over the weekend and really wanted to make the purchase on the spot but I want to make sure I am making a wise decision on the lexus. I have been also looking at the Audi S4 but prefer the IS-F. I am taking all these notes to help me make the most optimal purchase for myself. Hopefully I will have pictures of a new car soon and join the forum officially!
Old 07-16-12, 07:09 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ToooZeRo
Thanks all. I test drove one over the weekend and really wanted to make the purchase on the spot but I want to make sure I am making a wise decision on the lexus. I have been also looking at the Audi S4 but prefer the IS-F. I am taking all these notes to help me make the most optimal purchase for myself. Hopefully I will have pictures of a new car soon and join the forum officially!
Get the ISF! Good luck
Old 07-16-12, 07:28 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I see you are in the Northeast... ISF's are hard to find up here. They are extremely rare in this area of the US... I would act quickly and wisely if I were you. I love all the colors... for the red, the specks in the paint really pop when it's washed, the blue is beautiful but attracts a lot of attention. I would have gotten white if blue wasn't available.

The F has a dual personality. It has the capabilities of being a track car straight from the factory, yet at the same time can be driven daily comfortably. With mods the F's V8 is unleashed. It's reliable, quick, exclusive, and gets you from A to B in style.

Just make sure you get one that hasn't been modified, and preferably one previous owner. Good luck.
Old 07-16-12, 07:55 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by ToooZeRo
I replied to you in my thread, but figured I'd lend a little more insight here since I was right where you are a few weeks ago with my search. I had narrowed my new car search down to the IS-F, S4, and the M3. On the outside looking in was the CTS-V. My budget was fairly flexible since I got more than I expected from selling my S2000 and all the related mods I'd done to it, but my goal was to keep my ceiling at $50K. I test drove a 2011 IS-F that was slightly above my price range and also in the wrong color (for me), but I was definitely hooked. My wife used to have an IS250 back in 06-08 that I obviously drove quite a bit and I always liked the interior of that car, though I didn't like the way it drove (kinda vanilla). Of course the IS-F has an interior as nice or nicer than the IS250, plus it is an ENTIRELY different beast in driver feel and power. I knew after the test drive that I'd probably go with the IS-F.

I then test drove a brand new S4 that had pretty much every option. It too was probably just a bit outside of my price range, but it was the only S4 that was at my local dealership. That car was also fun, the low end torque felt similar to the IS-F, but it didn't have that extra oomph that the IS-F has above 3K-4K rpms. The interior of the car was fantastic and the nav display was better. The styling of the car was very boring though and I was left unimpressed. I also didn't want to deal with an Audi out of warranty and the extended warranty packages for Audi are all super-expensive. I never even drove the M3. I decided that I wasn't much interested in a car that had to be revved to 8K+ rpms to really get all the power down, plus I was very underwhelmed with the interior of the car. Finally, to get it optioned the way I'd want it, it was quite a bit more expensive than a similar IS-F, or I'd have to get one with a lot more miles.

All in all, I'm very happy with my choice and haven't looked back at all. It took me a little while, but I found the right car with everything I wanted. It was a 1-owner car with ridiculously low miles, formerly owned by a guy with quite a bit of money who traveled a lot and never drove the thing. If you look hard enough, you'll find the right one for you too!
Old 07-16-12, 09:17 AM
Valkirk
Driver

If it's the same as EU then the 2010 models have the Nav upgrades, very useful if you want to connect iPod or rip CD's to the HDD.
Old 07-16-12, 10:20 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
Just make sure you get one that hasn't been modified, and preferably one previous owner. Good luck.
Agree that it's best to buy one that hasn't been modified. That said, I'm looking at a 2011 that has been lowered. If I bought it I would return it to stock for ~$300.
Old 07-16-12, 08:06 PM
ToooZeRo
Rookie

Thanks VBB... good feedback to help me with decision!
Old 07-16-12, 08:13 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blitz_714
08 samurai rims , no LSD ,the 2010 to current, new suspension , new rims design, LSD, Navigation with USB , interiors also some changes and the speedometer , 11-12 new LED headlight , more F owners can chime in . hope that help. Also, 08 to 11 has SGM=smoky granite mica color, 12 discontinued and introduce new color Nebula Gray .
11 and 12 has the Torsen limited slip differential, upgraded suspension via ZF shocks, PCS, etc.
Old 07-17-12, 04:47 PM
RX7 RAGE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
11 and 12 has the Torsen limited slip differential, upgraded suspension via ZF shocks, PCS, etc.
The Torsen was added to the to 2010 as well.
Old 07-17-12, 07:27 PM
ToooZeRo
Rookie

RX7 Rage... still have that RX-7? I use to have one and upgraded from to a G.. now looking at IS-F

Looks good man!