IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Tein CS or Super Streets on IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-12, 04:39 AM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
Go for the BCs. They are cheaper and better than stock.
But again, I want more comfort that performance. I can't lower the car and I will rarely track the car. (maybe 2-4 times a year if I'm lucky)

Originally Posted by FD3SISF
Go with KW V3. Its the best coils you can get for the ISF. It totally changes ride on the ISF street and track. You can get it from CM for 2075 shipped. Look them up on the vendor marketplace.
I agree most are saying they are the best and I'm sure they are a fine coilover. They are respected by just about every car club. However, that doesn't mean they are the best..

Classic case of this is the HKS manifold vs the Full race on supra forums. What a big upset that was when people saw that they spent 2-3x the money and ended up with worse performance and power than the old HKS manifold.

Are BC's china stuff? also 14k sounds really stiff!

Is it the springs on the F that make it so stiff? Maybe a new set of springs would fix my problem?
Old 07-13-12, 08:03 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Without knowing the motion ratios Lexus used, saying 14k "sounds really stiff" is uninformed at best. Besides, springs aren't what make the suspension feel stiff. Damper settings do more for stiffness than any spring. All the spring does is resist compression.

KW isn't best and we all know it. Penske, Moton, Bilstein, and Ohlins are the names you see at top of motorsports which is why FIGS is working on a Penske setup for the F.

Yes, the BC setup is Chinese. They also reportedly ride smoother than the OEM setup - probably because the damping is a little softer and complements the spring choice. They are the lowest cost aftermarket setup that people here have used and said it works for street.
Old 07-13-12, 10:44 AM
clifftrail
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Without knowing the motion ratios Lexus used, saying 14k "sounds really stiff" is uninformed at best. Besides, springs aren't what make the suspension feel stiff. Damper settings do more for stiffness than any spring. All the spring does is resist compression.

KW isn't best and we all know it. Penske, Moton, Bilstein, and Ohlins are the names you see at top of motorsports which is why FIGS is working on a Penske setup for the F.

Yes, the BC setup is Chinese. They also reportedly ride smoother than the OEM setup - probably because the damping is a little softer and complements the spring choice. They are the lowest cost aftermarket setup that people here have used and said it works for street.
That was a fantastic post. Maybe the TEIN bashing can stop and those people that have them can answer the OPs question. BTW, I selected TEIN because of the option to add EDFC and be able to change settings instantly in the car. I'm not aware of any other's that offered that.
Old 07-13-12, 11:08 AM
smartbomb
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KW's are way better than the other options. Why put crappy coilovers on a $65,000 car?
Old 07-13-12, 12:36 PM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KW are the best one we have right now for the ISF. I did not say its the best coilovers out there. I have Ohlins on my Bike. So I know how good they are. If they have it available I would definitely get it for the F. KW is pretty much the only one worth getting for the ISF right now. I would never put Tein coils again on any of my car.
Old 07-13-12, 12:48 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I had Teins when I had my STi. Didn't like anything about them and sold them. Have also seen many people in the past have malfunctioning EDFC issues.
Old 07-14-12, 09:22 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FIGS is also working on an Ohlin Road and Track setup btw if anybody is interested..... Check out his facebook page!
Old 07-15-12, 12:17 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zazzn
But again, I want more comfort that performance. I can't lower the car and I will rarely track the car. (maybe 2-4 times a year if I'm lucky)

I agree most are saying they are the best and I'm sure they are a fine coilover. They are respected by just about every car club. However, that doesn't mean they are the best..

Classic case of this is the HKS manifold vs the Full race on supra forums. What a big upset that was when people saw that they spent 2-3x the money and ended up with worse performance and power than the old HKS manifold.

Are BC's china stuff? also 14k sounds really stiff!

Is it the springs on the F that make it so stiff? Maybe a new set of springs would fix my problem?
The Kw's are a good choice, and when setup properly are a really nice kit for the F.

If you want a kit that is a bit less expensive I would go with a custom set iof the BC Racing coilovers through us, with the Swift springs. We can do a custom sprignrate setup for you on these to tailor the kit to your needs , and with the Swift spring the BC's ride really well. Better than you probably would imagine.

I think these are the best thing going next to the KW's right now. They also have the advantage of easier setup and install, as they come with both front and rear top plates. Also, they adjust with one **** for rebound damping instead of the Kw's separate rebound and compression, because if you aren't sure how to set up the KW's you won't get the full value out of them. For some people a single adjustment **** is ideal.

Shoot us a PM and we can help

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

No actually they are not, they are manufactured in Taiwan
Old 07-15-12, 01:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

And there's a big quality difference between Taiwanese and Chinese parts? Me thinks no....