IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

TPMS IDs

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-12, 10:10 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default TPMS IDs

Last month I installed aftermarket wheels on my ISF, right away I had the low tire indicator on my instrument cluster. I took the car to the dealer and even though I've been a loyal customer, being on my second ISF, and having purchased a 2012 RX350 at the same time of my 2012 ISF, they refused to do a courtesy setup of my second wheels set. I had all four TPMS IDs on hand, it was just a matter of entering the codes in the car's ECU (no more than 2 minutes). They said that their mechanics don't work for free and that it'd cost $125 to do it. I left the dealer and decided to buy a TPMS writer myself. I got it yesterday and immediately went to the car and programmed the TPMS codes, it worked great! No more low tire lights!

I made a little mistake in the procedure and overwrote the OEM codes with the new ones before saving them into the device, now I'll have the same low tire light if I install the OEM wheels back on the car. So my question is, do dealers have records of the original TPMS IDs from the cars? If so I'll call the dealer and try to get the codes from their system, if not I guess I'll have to unmount the tires and write down the codes from the sensors themselves.
Old 05-30-12, 10:29 AM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Juanca
Last month I installed aftermarket wheels on my ISF, right away I had the low tire indicator on my instrument cluster. I took the car to the dealer and even though I've been a loyal customer, being on my second ISF, and having purchased a 2012 RX350 at the same time of my 2012 ISF, they refused to do a courtesy setup of my second wheels set. I had all four TPMS IDs on hand, it was just a matter of entering the codes in the car's ECU (no more than 2 minutes). They said that their mechanics don't work for free and that it'd cost $125 to do it. I left the dealer and decided to buy a TPMS writer myself. I got it yesterday and immediately went to the car and programmed the TPMS codes, it worked great! No more low tire lights!

I made a little mistake in the procedure and overwrote the OEM codes with the new ones before saving them into the device, now I'll have the same low tire light if I install the OEM wheels back on the car. So my question is, do dealers have records of the original TPMS IDs from the cars? If so I'll call the dealer and try to get the codes from their system, if not I guess I'll have to unmount the tires and write down the codes from the sensors themselves.
Not sure what kind of tpms programmer you have. Maybe TPMS programmer/writer might be able to scan/read the id's when you held it close to the sensors. I remember a shop did it without asking the tpms id's i've writen down. They have the Bartech Tech400. I think it was the top of the line programmer.

Last edited by FD3SISF; 05-30-12 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-30-12, 10:48 AM
ACEtheOG
Rookie

Sucks to hear about the lack of service you received. Thankfully not all Lexus dealerships are like this. My dealership gladly completed the service for free – I did not buy the tires, wheels, or TPMSs from them.

Dealerships should be able to get the codes (through documentation or a scan). When they did my winter wheels they accidentally overwrote the OEM wheels. They fixed it in 10 minutes.
Old 05-30-12, 11:05 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

where did u buy the tpms writer...i might be interested as i have to get mines program as well.
Old 05-30-12, 11:07 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

The $1500+ devices will scan sensors and do everything that could possibly be done to TPMS. The device I have ($150) only reads and writes from/to the ECU, then you store codes on your computer and can have registered multiple cars.

On my previous ISF I took it to a different Lexus dealer for the same reason (switching to aftermarket wheels), the SA came out with a laptop and did it for me in no time, I wasn't charged a penny. I'll try calling the dealer, I hope they'll provide the codes free of charge.
Old 05-30-12, 11:11 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

This is the one I have:

http://www.ateqtpm.com/products/tpms.../ateq-quickset

and I bought it from here:

http://www.revolutionsupply.com/quickset.aspx
Old 05-30-12, 11:19 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

wow ur dealer sucks, they wanted to charge u 125 for a 5 min job
Old 05-30-12, 11:40 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

also what wheels did you get Juan? lol
Old 05-30-12, 11:54 AM
chris6878
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Which dealer, I'll bet it was north Miami.
Old 05-30-12, 01:00 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

^^^ Yes, it was North Miami.
Old 05-30-12, 01:05 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

^^^ I also want to see your new rims.
Old 05-30-12, 01:09 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

This is the only picture I have with the new wheels, taken this past weekend. Wheels came from my previous ISF: 20" ISS Forged Spia, chromed lips and matte gunmetal centers.

Old 05-30-12, 01:12 PM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Put your OEM wheels on the car or take them in another vehicle they will easily fit to Discount Tire. The tool they have can read them and give you the ID number and everyone I have been to will do it for free.

I believe with that device once you have the codes for the sensors you just type them in on the computer to that device. I have considered getting one those those devices as well but I have 3 sets of wheels (Summer, Winter, and OEM which I might put track tires on) and wasn't sure you could manually type in the codes so I would love to know if that works.

Would love to hear your experience cause it is such a hassle changing wheels even though I do not do it that often. Don't let discount tire program your wheels though as their tool can only program set one and not set 2. I had to go to the dealer for that and was able to fine one that would do it for only $50 instead of $100 which my local dealer charged.
Old 05-30-12, 01:30 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

I don't have any Discount Tire in my area, only tire dealers over here are Firestone, Tire Kingdom, and a couple of other names that won't do anything for free.

The device works as advertised, it reads your IDs from the ECU, then saves them to the computer. You can also enter IDs on the computer and save them to the ECU. The computer's database handles multiple cars and summer/winter setups per car. My mistake was that I switched to second set of wheels on the car when I installed the new wheels, yesterday when I read the codes to save them to the PC I forgot to switch back to the original set so the device read all zeroes, and when I wrote the new IDs back to the car I had switched to original so overwrote the OEM IDs. Even if the car doesn't have access to more than one set of TPMS, you can overwrite the IDs as needed as long as you keep records of the IDs for each set (the software does it for you).
Old 05-30-12, 01:51 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

this looks like a good tool to have beside the OBDII scanner as well....i guess i'll put those on my christmas list

Quick Reply: TPMS IDs