IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

PPE Headers Install Pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-12, 03:44 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by obby
your lucky that you were able to reuse your o2.. me on the other hand had to buy 2 new one.. o well...
It all about how careful the mechanic taking that out , unclip the o2 sensor when taking the oem header out and then spray wd40 on it, and then slowly take them apart. That how we did it, same with my old is350 with ppe header never had any problem with taking them aparts. If u just trying to take them out while they are still connecting with the engine bay that is going tripped them.
Old 05-14-12, 03:50 PM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blitz_714
Bnizzle 87 , let me know anytime u want to get it install u can sit next to the lift and watching him doing it and u can help too if u r handy lolz .. that goes for shadowisf too :P
How much for the headers install?
Old 05-14-12, 06:05 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Its nice to see the updated version went it with no issues. Thats good to hear.
Old 05-14-12, 07:38 PM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadowISF
Nice pictures and congrats on the headers.
Thanks Shadowisf

Originally Posted by iH8RICERZ
looks great! So they had to cut your PTS catback piping and install the two high flow cats huh? Which cats did you go with?
ECT 200CPI hi-flow cats that are EPA and OBD2 compliant.
Old 05-14-12, 07:51 PM
Weapon F

Originally Posted by obby
your lucky that you were able to reuse your o2.. me on the other hand had to buy 2 new one.. o well...
Yes a little luck and skilled tech helps, I asked John from AFterFX why several folks had problems removing o2 senors first thing he said before attempting to remove they should have completely cooled down since exhaust and o2 senors are made of two different types of metals that expand and contract at different rates from his experience its best to just let them completely cool down. Two age of car, how long have they been installed the longer there in harder they are to remove and Three the environment cars that have been exposed to lots of roads salts, wet weather etc can all effect how hard it is to remove. John has several years as tech and has worked for different car manufacturers including Ford, and Lexus the dealership he worked for was Lexus of Greenwich before working for AfterFX where they work on everything from Ferrari, Lamborghini's, Porsche's, Bentley's, to Chevy's, Fords, etc they know what there doing.

Some of different types of cars they work
PPE Headers Install Pics-1305398386929.jpg

PPE Headers Install Pics-1305399314885.jpg

PPE Headers Install Pics-1305398273007.jpg

PPE Headers Install Pics-1305406666655.jpg

PPE Headers Install Pics-1305399308171.jpg
Old 05-14-12, 08:18 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ thx for the tips. I'll make sure to let my installer know
Old 05-14-12, 08:35 PM
V8Lex
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow..that is a **** load of dust on the Enzo. What a shame
Old 05-14-12, 09:08 PM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

F40.... my favorite.... WOW.
Old 05-14-12, 10:03 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 77 Likes on 28 Posts

Weapon,

Any comments on the decibel level of your exhaust in all driving conditions now that you have the PPE headers, along with the PTS exhaust? TIA,
Old 05-15-12, 08:16 AM
Northstar1
Driver School Candidate

any before and after dyno results?
Old 05-15-12, 10:57 AM
Weapon F

Originally Posted by KJH
Weapon,

Any comments on the decibel level of your exhaust in all driving conditions now that you have the PPE headers, along with the PTS exhaust? TIA,
Hey KJH this is wear it gets interesting and I was surprised with results now my findings are subjective and unscientific since I didn't use decibel meter to take any measurement prior to PPE headers install but what I'll do is break it down to 4 areas Tone, Drone, Sound Level, and aggressiveness so here it go's.

Tone OK as everyone now knows you will no longer here that secondary intake open up which adds to tone and note of exhaust, that combined with JoeZ PTS exhaust/intake with factory headers made fanatic sound especially when there is no drone present in higher rpm levels when your going throw the gears in manual sport mode it has distinctive note a kind of sing song up and down sound that was glorious. The tone of exhaust note has changed it know longer sounds same its different not in bad way you can here more of exhaust note coming throw headers and less of intake sound I attribute this to two things no longer hearing the secondary open up and drone I will discuss drone next.

Drone there is less drone especially when driving on flat road under normal driving condition now if your driving up incline or when and in that 50mph to 65mph between 1800 to 2500 rpm range in 8th gear some drone will appear but overall less drone

Sound level here the funny thing its actually quieter the guys at AFterFX had driven car prior to PPE headers install and took F for test drive after PPE/ECT Hiflow cats were installed and they were surprise that the car was actually quieter now these were my findings as well. Now when driving in normal to slightly sporty way the car is retentively quit when at 60% to 70% throttle or driving in more aggressive manner and at WOT yes the car is louder then before it sounds just beastly.

Whats also interesting is in-cab sound level is less, at first I though the car was not loud at all but when my friend took it for ride and I heard him come back I was like WOW my F sounds great very nice tone and note. So less in cabin sound slightly more noise on outside. Another way I can tell that there less internal sound once again using my unscientific measurements is based on my audio sound level. I use to set at certain level when communty home, now I know longer have to keep volume at previous higher sound level in order to hear music comfortably.

Aggressiveness yes when I'm pushing F especially in sport manual mode exhaust note is fantastic and yes it is louder than before

Once again these are my opinion's and are subjective and are not based on any sound level equipment just my observation and personnel taste.
The following users liked this post:
GrizzlyMan (04-09-21)
Old 05-16-12, 09:38 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the headers
Old 05-16-12, 09:53 AM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

I agree with you, it seems bizarre, but I believe my PPE headers actually made the car quieter beliw 2500rpms or so. Anything above that and the car sounds like a monster

Oh yeah, no cats on my car.
Old 05-16-12, 09:15 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Congrats on the header install...!!!

You guys are making we want to install headers on MY IS-F.... LoL

~ Joe Z

Very nice detailed opinion below...!!!

Originally Posted by Weapon F
Hey KJH this is wear it gets interesting and I was surprised with results now my findings are subjective and unscientific since I didn't use decibel meter to take any measurement prior to PPE headers install but what I'll do is break it down to 4 areas Tone, Drone, Sound Level, and aggressiveness so here it go's.

Tone OK as everyone now knows you will no longer here that secondary intake open up which adds to tone and note of exhaust, that combined with JoeZ PTS exhaust/intake with factory headers made fanatic sound especially when there is no drone present in higher rpm levels when your going throw the gears in manual sport mode it has distinctive note a kind of sing song up and down sound that was glorious. The tone of exhaust note has changed it know longer sounds same its different not in bad way you can here more of exhaust note coming throw headers and less of intake sound I attribute this to two things no longer hearing the secondary open up and drone I will discuss drone next.

Drone there is less drone especially when driving on flat road under normal driving condition now if your driving up incline or when and in that 50mph to 65mph between 1800 to 2500 rpm range in 8th gear some drone will appear but overall less drone

Sound level here the funny thing its actually quieter the guys at AFterFX had driven car prior to PPE headers install and took F for test drive after PPE/ECT Hiflow cats were installed and they were surprise that the car was actually quieter now these were my findings as well. Now when driving in normal to slightly sporty way the car is retentively quit when at 60% to 70% throttle or driving in more aggressive manner and at WOT yes the car is louder then before it sounds just beastly.

Whats also interesting is in-cab sound level is less, at first I though the car was not loud at all but when my friend took it for ride and I heard him come back I was like WOW my F sounds great very nice tone and note. So less in cabin sound slightly more noise on outside. Another way I can tell that there less internal sound once again using my unscientific measurements is based on my audio sound level. I use to set at certain level when communty home, now I know longer have to keep volume at previous higher sound level in order to hear music comfortably.

Aggressiveness yes when I'm pushing F especially in sport manual mode exhaust note is fantastic and yes it is louder than before

Once again these are my opinion's and are subjective and are not based on any sound level equipment just my observation and personnel taste.
Old 05-16-12, 10:13 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 77 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Weapon F

Weapon,

Many thanks for your thoughtful response. Much appreciated.