IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

SOCAL IS F Track Day - Willow Springs

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-12, 11:57 AM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Murph145
^ nice yea i think most of us should start on the smaller track get use to the turns and how the car feels. most people are just weekend cruisers so i would think doing the small track first would be most beneficial to all.
From the times I've been to Button Willow they make you start on the small track if your your first time at their track, then later in the day you get to move to the big track. However, the last time I was there was 3 years ago so the rules may have changed. As for the big track, I experienced brake fade on the straight at over 100mph, very scary, lol, but a way cool adrenaline rush :-) Its very very very important to take breaks, check your equipment, and pay attention to gauges!

Last edited by 2ndGF; 05-14-12 at 12:01 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-14-12, 12:18 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^ great helpful info!

just because these cars are considered high performance does not mean they can handle the continuous pushing of them. Good info and I do suggest small track first. I know I am a decent driver through the canyons but I would rather learn my car on a smaller track first
Old 05-16-12, 12:41 AM
LBmtb
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As promised... a couple vids from the track day at Streets this past weekend: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ow-4-12-a.html
Old 05-27-12, 04:03 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Bump bump bumpity bump. What's going on with this Brian? It's gonna get REALLY hot soon...

How many bars in oil temp have you guys ran your cars to? I got up to 5 bars once during the last cruise through Idyllwild.
Old 06-04-12, 01:08 PM
Apexsports
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe we should try to do this at the end of summer? I think we should try to have at least 10 F's confirmed for this before I ask Bobby for a group discount. I think we're at 5-6 cars so far...

On our Idy run, I saw 4 bars running with the AC on high. Were you running your AC when hitting 5 bars Tommy?
Old 06-04-12, 04:39 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,853 Likes on 2,337 Posts

On the track your oil temp will go to within one bar of the top. If you leave the stability controls on and continue to drive too hard, it will hit the top. AMHIK.
Old 06-04-12, 07:43 PM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

I would like to go, but I dont like my F set up. I need new tires soon. Also I would like to do suspension when I free up some cash. What you guys recommend on coilovers? I like to lower the front it seems higher in the front than the back. Is it ok to just use lowering springs on the front?
Old 06-04-12, 07:53 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Dont waste $$$ on spring just get a set of good coils, and rear sway bar , u r good to roll. Coils u can set any setting and it change the ride , stiffness, softness anytime u like
Old 06-04-12, 08:02 PM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

I seen a lot of F's using KW V3. I would like the JIC coils like I have on my FD before. I cant seem to find where to buy the JIC coils. I been off cars for more than 5 years. I switch to bikes So I dont have anymore hook up and where to get stuff for my car.
Old 06-04-12, 08:05 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

I have JIC coils, their headquarter is in Alhambra . Cant go wrong let u test drive my car
Old 06-04-12, 08:14 PM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

That sounds great, but your car is to nice I dont think I want to drive it. You can just give me a ride that good enough.
Old 06-04-12, 08:16 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Mine is build to be driven spiritedly not for show sir
Old 06-04-12, 08:40 PM
LBmtb
Driver

Originally Posted by FD3SISF
I would like to go, but I dont like my F set up. I need new tires soon. Also I would like to do suspension when I free up some cash. What you guys recommend on coilovers? I like to lower the front it seems higher in the front than the back. Is it ok to just use lowering springs on the front?
Just go. $100 says the driver is the bottleneck . . . not the suspension.
Originally Posted by blitz_714
Mine is build to be driven spiritedly not for show sir
Then how do you explain the full Tom's kit.
Old 06-04-12, 08:42 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

More aerodynamic flow to the car , more aggressive stance
Old 06-04-12, 09:16 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Apexsports
On our Idy run, I saw 4 bars running with the AC on high. Were you running your AC when hitting 5 bars Tommy?
Agreed...summer is starting and it's gonna be way too hot. I'm down for some K1 karting though... And yes, I was hitting 5 bars with AC on.

Originally Posted by LBmtb
Just go. $100 says the driver is the bottleneck . . . not the suspension.
Suspension does make a difference though....Although I know that Brian (Apexsports) is a much better driver than I am, there were turns that I just couldn't take as fast, because the car did not feel as planted and I believe it wasn't my driving ability, but rather the confidence that the car would give me. When I was following Brian when he and my friend in a WRX STi took off, I could see his car was much more stable as he entered turns faster than I did, but he's running KW V3s and the Sikky RSB, wider tires, wider stance, etc.

But I also agree with you that if you put two identical cars with different drivers, it will come up to the driver... But did Brian do his mods because he felt he was the bottleneck? I think not....

Originally Posted by blitz_714
More aerodynamic flow to the car , more aggressive stance
No wind tunnel testing...that diffuser is all show no go. Have you seen big a real diffuser is?

Plus there's so many other elements that must go under the car to to channel the air from the front diffuser through the underbody components, then out the back at a specific velocity to generate negative pressure.

Quick Reply: SOCAL IS F Track Day - Willow Springs