IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-12, 07:31 AM
SargeISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I havent had any problems stopping in the rain. They grip great.

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
Hey Sarge, how do these ceramics act in the rain? From my understanding is ceramics loose bite when wet
Old 03-22-12, 10:35 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb FYI for All...

Originally Posted by KJH
I don't know about you guys, but I have yet to see aftermarket brake pads that work better than the OEM pads. I know the OEM pads dust more than most like, but I'll take that if superior stopping power comes as part of the package. Our cars come with great brakes from the factory and most of the pads recommended for OEM replacement, including Hawk and Project Mu, are inferior to the OEM pads in terms of stopping power and initial bite.
^^ Ken, I agree with your post... If my "Project Mu's" would stop like OEM, it would be a perfect world...

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I'd say the Carbotech 1521 street pads have the OEM feel without the OEM dust. They're also very rotor friendly.
^^ I too agree with your post Lance...
But the Carbotech 1521's have a fitment problem.. They are "close" to OEM, but not quite..
On ALL 8 of my backing plates the pucks were in different places by 1-3 mm's

Till this day I doubt they fixed the issue. I gave them multiple chances to have the puck placement & size EXACTLY like OEM.
But they said they "could not do it at this time.." (almost 1.5 years ago)

• The OEM pads are spot on fitment, good daily street performance & light track duty.. But major dusting problem.

• My Project Mu pads also have spot on fitment, good for daily street driving.. Major dusting is NOT a problem.
    BUT, I would not use the Project Mu street pads on the track what so ever..!!!
    They do however offer proper race compounds as well.

~ Joe Z
Old 03-22-12, 10:45 AM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by SargeISF
I havent had any problems stopping in the rain. They grip great.
great... now you got me interested in these weaver ceramic pads...especially for that price! My fronts are squeaking pretty bad now so I think I'm due for some new pads up front.
Old 03-22-12, 12:50 PM
Linkseal
Driver

Originally Posted by Joe Z
  • The OEM pads are spot on fitment, good daily street performance & light track duty.. But major dusting problem.

• My Project Mu pads also have spot on fitment, good for daily street driving.. Major dusting is NOT a problem.
    BUT, I would not use the Project Mu street pads on the track what so ever..!!!
    They do however offer proper race compounds as well.

~ Joe Z
So overall OEM > P Mu for all around usage without track day and brake dust is not an issue?
Old 03-22-12, 01:06 PM
ilbkuup
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ordered my Project Mu's today from Robert @ MVP Motorsports to go with the Raybestos front rotors I ordered from Rockauto. Should have them installed mid week next week. Looking forward to the results.
Old 03-22-12, 02:43 PM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

I just ordered the pads Sarge was referring to for 83.28 on advanced auto parts website, they offer 15% off on them if you enter the code MA101.

Can't wait to put them on all four corners, just rolled 30k miles today.
Old 03-22-12, 04:19 PM
gamblez
Driver School Candidate

just tried the code MA101 on the advance auto parts website it says its not valid anyone have any luck?
Old 03-22-12, 04:28 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

I just ordered the StopTech Street Pads for my IS-F...I recently put them on my Supra TT and they have a pretty good feel and initial bite. They are the pads that come with their big brake kits, and are approved for LIGHT track use also. Once I put them on, I'll provide some feedback...Darshana S...
Old 03-22-12, 04:47 PM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gamblez
just tried the code MA101 on the advance auto parts website it says its not valid anyone have any luck?
Oh sorry, its MA100.

It says it right on top of the web page. 15% off, plus it was free shipping.
Old 03-22-12, 06:33 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanGTS
I just ordered the pads Sarge was referring to for 83.28 on advanced auto parts website, they offer 15% off on them if you enter the code MA101.

Can't wait to put them on all four corners, just rolled 30k miles today.
I also just ordered a set of these... came out to $90 shipped after taxes. Thanks Sarge for the review on those...killer price! Lets just hope they live up to your review! lol
Old 03-22-12, 06:37 PM
SargeISF
Lead Lap

No problem. I know you will be impressed just the the Corvette guy that threw away his Hawk pads after using these. After a couple of days feel the diffrence in the rotor surface also.

Originally Posted by iH8RICERZ
I also just ordered a set of these... came out to $90 shipped after taxes. Thanks Sarge for the review on those...killer price! Lets just hope they live up to your review! lol
Old 03-23-12, 08:24 AM
X20A
Rookie

Having had my Project Mu's for a year now, I am sad to say that they were disappointing. So I'm looking at alternatives, predominantly the StopTech pads.

While they don't squeal like the OEM pads, they are still prone to squealing under light pedal pressure. When the temperature is cold (winter) it does not squeal. But now that the temperatures have warmed up a bit, they squeal intermittently, and it drives me nuts. Surely, they dust way less than OEM which I really like, but stopping power is definitely less than stock.

I also have a crack in one of the pads, as told to me by my Lexus SA, which is extremely disappointing. I asked him if it needed replacement, he said not yet, but that is still unacceptable. I don't track the car, I'm not overly aggressive in my driving style so I don't know why that would happen.

I also get once in a blue moon this terrible random shuddering with the brakes with metal grinding noise, through the last year, this has happened 3 times, and I think it might have to do with the cracked pad.

Needless to say, Project Mu is not getting my business again.

If anyone has feedback on the StopTech pads that would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 03-23-12, 08:56 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I took off my StopTech and went with OEM. Stick with OEM and as for bonus, it has slightly less dust.

Originally Posted by X20A
Having had my Project Mu's for a year now, I am sad to say that they were disappointing. So I'm looking at alternatives, predominantly the StopTech pads.

While they don't squeal like the OEM pads, they are still prone to squealing under light pedal pressure. When the temperature is cold (winter) it does not squeal. But now that the temperatures have warmed up a bit, they squeal intermittently, and it drives me nuts. Surely, they dust way less than OEM which I really like, but stopping power is definitely less than stock.

I also have a crack in one of the pads, as told to me by my Lexus SA, which is extremely disappointing. I asked him if it needed replacement, he said not yet, but that is still unacceptable. I don't track the car, I'm not overly aggressive in my driving style so I don't know why that would happen.

I also get once in a blue moon this terrible random shuddering with the brakes with metal grinding noise, through the last year, this has happened 3 times, and I think it might have to do with the cracked pad.

Needless to say, Project Mu is not getting my business again.

If anyone has feedback on the StopTech pads that would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 03-24-12, 06:18 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I'd say the Carbotech 1521 street pads have the OEM feel without the OEM dust. They're also very rotor friendly.
Two very enthusiastic thumbs up for Carbotech. I've had them on my car for 11k miles now and experience very, verY, veRY, vERY, VERY low dusting and great break feel and modulation. Mike's one of the good guys for sure! Did I say I like the low dusting?
Old 04-27-12, 11:56 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
Two very enthusiastic thumbs up for Carbotech. I've had them on my car for 11k miles now and experience very, verY, veRY, vERY, VERY low dusting and great break feel and modulation. Mike's one of the good guys for sure! Did I say I like the low dusting?
These brake threads are so confusing. I am trying to pick a pad right now. The dust is killing me. I'm on my second 2IS and I'm sick of cleaning my rims.
I'm looking for very low dust and willing to loose a bit of performance over OEM pads.

All the reviews contradict each other. Some people love Project Mu and now I'm reading this very negative review. Carontech is also getting reviews on opposite ends of the spectrum.
How about we create a poll for some of the pads?

Quick Reply: Brake Pads