IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Secondary cats & Muffler delete...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-12, 03:41 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, just got the secondary cats deleted today and it not that big of a difference. It's SLIGHTY louder with a bit more rumble in lower rpm's. With the windows up it still sounds stock. I was just thinking for an everyday driver, removing the mufflers might be too extreme. I'm on the phone a lot for business and I don't want too much noise in the cabin. What do you guys think, remove the resonator of would removing the mufflers still be tame enough to talk on the phone?
Old 03-23-12, 04:53 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
Hmm, just got the secondary cats deleted today and it not that big of a difference. It's SLIGHTY louder with a bit more rumble in lower rpm's. With the windows up it still sounds stock. I was just thinking for an everyday driver, removing the mufflers might be too extreme. I'm on the phone a lot for business and I don't want too much noise in the cabin. What do you guys think, remove the resonator of would removing the mufflers still be tame enough to talk on the phone?
I would strongly recomend against removing the resonator.
Old 03-23-12, 05:07 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

hey guys, i'm new to the F but not new to modding. i've been thinking about just removing the rear muffler section, that's it and not replacing it w/ anything. would such a move NOT be recommended? will the heat and exhaust coming off the midpipe damage or ruin the car, since there is no pipe to channel the exhaust away from the vehicle?
Old 03-23-12, 05:08 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I also had the electronic cut out on my supra. I had two motor failures and even bent the plate open on decel once. On the dyno I didn't make even 1H.P. more, all it did was help spool up slightly.
The other issue with the cut outs is you are blowing exhaust out right under the middle of the floor, not good. Adding turn downs means fitting them and maybe loosing ground clearance.
Old 03-23-12, 05:10 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm thinking second cat delete and Borla axel back for starters. Anyone have this setup?
Old 03-23-12, 06:29 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Just put about 60 miles on the car and it seems a bit louder to me now. Maybe I'll give it a few days and see how I like it.
Old 03-24-12, 05:32 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What do you guys think, remove the resonator of would removing the mufflers still be tame enough to talk on the phone?
I wouldn't do it. The resonators help get rid of those nasty tones.

Originally Posted by cremaster
i've been thinking about just removing the rear muffler section, that's it and not replacing it w/ anything. would such a move NOT be recommended? will the heat and exhaust coming off the midpipe damage or ruin the car, since there is no pipe to channel the exhaust away from the vehicle?
The exiting exhaust is pretty damn hot. I wouldn't do what you wrote. Just add a section of pipe to the rear exit.

Originally Posted by RCB
I'm thinking second cat delete and Borla axel back for starters. Anyone have this setup?
Those axle backs are quite costly. I'd prob just save for a full exhaust. But I'd assume this set up would be a bit tamer than mine since you'd have mufflers.

Just put about 60 miles on the car and it seems a bit louder to me now. Maybe I'll give it a few days and see how I like it.
So do you like it or ....? If its too loud you can always put on some Magnaflow mufflers
Old 03-24-12, 06:18 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Yeah, I really liked it this morning. Cold start was a LOT different. I was hoping for a bit more with just the cat delete, but it might be just right for what I'm after. I have two sets of stock exhaust, so I'm basically cutting one up and keeping one stock. It wouldn't be too much of an issue to try it without the mufflers and throw them back on if it's too loud. I'm gonna give it a few weeks to settle in and see how I'm liking it.
Old 04-09-12, 06:17 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Ok, so after several weeks of driving with the cat delete only....my wife started up her Escalade and man that thing just rumbles (it's stock). So my F (without 2nd cats) is parked right next to it in the garage and I start it up as well. You guessed it, the Escalade sounds meaner than my F.

I had the mufflers removed today and THAT is the sound I was after! Perfect! I went and picked up my buddy who had the Joe Z Exhaust in his old F and he loved it as well. I couldn't stop driving it today. I didn't even turn the radio on. It's the perfect sound. We took it for a spin on the highway and EASILY had conversations at 65-85 miles per hour. He said it had no more drone than the Joe Z. Keep in mind I take a lot of business calls while I drive and it's still fine for that. Best of all? $160 total for muffler and cat delete. Wish I knew the power gains! Guessing around 20hp, but lost a lot of weight.
Old 04-09-12, 06:42 PM
F4Fast
Pole Position

I have this same mod. Its so fkn sexy aint it!!!!! I have had a few mustang and camaro guys give me a thumbs up lol. But its gonna get louder. I have made up my mind and going straight exhaust with sikky headers. As soon as i get it done ill post a clip
Old 04-09-12, 07:07 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It IS the perfect sound! There is power improvement but not 20HP, I'm guessing around 10HP. I drove it that way for about 2 years and couldn't be happier, now I have the ISS Forged DES set and love the sound but I have to admit, the car pulls harder than with the custom exhaust. In terms of sound ISS DES is deep and mean, the custom exhaust is racy!!!
Old 04-09-12, 07:08 PM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

im running an tanabe cat back with the cats deleted and it sound great.. also i will be installing my header this coming weekend and cant wait to hear how much louder is gonna get
Old 04-09-12, 07:57 PM
t4orce
Rookie

I was less of a man and only had my secondary cats removed in favour of straight pipes. I do spend some time on the phone whilst in the car and was worried about drone.

It does sound relatively stock, but the note is slightly deeper. I haven't had much of a chance to put kms on her but I'm happy with it for now. When the cats were removed, I started her up and gave her a rev. Damn it was loud.

I wonder if I'm happy with the slight increase noise because I did the intake mod as well. Once I grow bigger testes I will remove the muffler
Old 05-08-14, 07:19 PM
myfly350
Rookie

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
....now she purrs

what car is this on also i would love to hear a clip

i have a 2014 gs350 awd i really wanna do this on
Old 05-09-14, 05:02 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by myfly350
what car is this on also i would love to hear a clip

i have a 2014 gs350 awd i really wanna do this on
this is from the IS-F

Last edited by tmf2004; 05-09-14 at 09:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Secondary cats & Muffler delete...