2) buy the GT-R
3) Sell the kids

.......problem solved
Done deal. Close thread.
Old 05-24-11, 12:37 AM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even the ISF fanboys wont be able to convince you otherwise! GT-R Buddy!
Old 05-24-11, 05:53 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The IS-F was a series of compromises that, in my opinion, never really did anything extremely well.. I just had to have one and, now that I've lived with one for several years, cannot recommend it.
Old 05-24-11, 05:53 AM
lukeisf
Driver

I also considered the gtr till I test drove one, yes it is fast but the inside of a car for 100 grand should be a lot nicer and the tranny noise was to much so kept the f adding a lot of mods and never looked back
Old 05-24-11, 06:45 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Stay with the F: the power and prestige of the Lexus name; Lexus reliability; more luxurious; it's still very fast; red carpet treatment when you take it in for oil changes (if you choose); close to 30 mpg on highway trips. If you do decide to go the GT-R route, I'd wait for the 2012 GT-R.
Old 05-24-11, 06:59 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was daydreaming about a 2010 GT-R for 60.5, with 19k on it. Was thinking of how I could finance the difference after selling my IS-F. But I can't quite justify it, financially and for the performance gains, sure they're impressive, but I don't track my car to really appreciate them. If I tracked weekends, that may be a different story. That said, if you can afford it, and can get a great deal. Hard not to consider it.
Old 05-24-11, 07:47 AM
SCCAForums
Driver

Thanks Everyone... I do agree... 2012 is a BEAST! And I'd love to get one... but don't keep cars long enough to be able to swallow that depreciation. So I figured... try the 2010 for sometime... and figure out something else later.

As for the tranny noise and 'raw ness'... I have to tell you... it was something I actually 'enjoyed' in my M5's SMG over the 'newer' DCT. The SMG was nasty crude, loud... but shifted hard, and fast.

Believe it or not... I may not track the car... (I'll go to the drags once or twice) but since I have a dedicated roadcourse car... I tend to use that more than the daily drivers...

I love the F... it does everything 'well'... and in luxury... and to your point... My Shelby GT500 was nasty fast... but just came across feeling a bit 'cheap' on the inside... Not sure the GTR will feel differently, but I thought the interior was somewhat 'rich looking' as well. Haven't honestly paid much attention to them until recently.

I'm moving pretty aggressively down this path... and I figure the kids can probably 'squeeze' in there the 2 or 3 times a month they ride with me. But too and from work I'm by myself... and only have a 13 mile commute.

The good thing I'm reading... is many are equally as torn. Pros and cons certainly with both... but if I'm looking for a 'change'... this seems to be one of the best that still have a back seat... as a Z06 / ZR1 / Viper do not. I was looking at an '05 Turbo S as well... but the GTR overall performance seems to continue to come out on top for a car with a back seat (let alone over many that don't).

Thanks!
Dave
Old 05-24-11, 07:52 AM
Fapout
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking about getting a GTR but for what? I won't be able to DD it, I looked in to the costs and they were outrageous for a japanese car. Also, amongst those class of people that don't DD their sports car, a GTR will seem like a cheap Nissan. (Despite the performance numbers)

That's why I'm looking in to an 05 Lambo Gallardo. It has clout and performance but is also exotic. Just my $.02
Old 05-24-11, 08:51 AM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do it, get the GTR. Its the natural progression of F owners. If you can afford it, you can afford the maintenance.

You said it yourself, you might not keep the car over a year or two, or drive it very hard so why is it even a question. Buy it, lifes short.
You can always trade it back in for a 2010 IS-F later on if so inclined.

~Dv8
Old 05-24-11, 09:52 AM
SCCAForums
Driver

And honestly, I do my own maintenance... I love that part about cars... have a 4 post lift, and a pad lift in the garage. Ok... so I'm sold.. now have to find one for the right price...

Thanks for talking me off... or pushing me over!
Old 05-24-11, 09:58 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
And honestly, I do my own maintenance... I love that part about cars... have a 4 post lift, and a pad lift in the garage. Ok... so I'm sold.. now have to find one for the right price...

Thanks for talking me off... or pushing me over!
I also do most of my own maintenance and love it. But one thing to keep in mind is that for the GT-R this is not a preferred thing when it comes to resale.
Best of luck with a GT-R. Great car in every aspect.
Old 05-24-11, 10:17 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
so I'm sold.. now have to find one for the right price...
I just got back from the dealership (in Austin), and they have a used '10 premium package with 12k miles on it for $72,950. The guy asked me if I was interested. I said, "Sure! But not for $73k, that's way too high for me."

Let me know if you're interested, and I can make a phone call to my actual sales guy there and see what kind of deal you can work. I checked around and it looks like this one values around $69-72k, so the price does not seem completely unreasonable.

Last edited by melbitoast; 05-24-11 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-24-11, 10:28 AM
Robs IS250
Lexus Fanatic

GTR all day haha they're amazing to drive!

Go for a test drive!
Old 05-24-11, 10:36 AM
SCCAForums
Driver

Originally Posted by melbitoast
I just got back from the dealership (in Austin), and they have a used '10 premium package with 12k miles on it for $72,950. The guy asked me if I was interested. I said, "Sure! But not for $73k, that's way too high for me."

Let me know if you're interested, and I can make a phone call to my actual sales guy there and see what kind of deal you can work. I checked around and it looks like this one values around $69-72k, so the price does not seem completely unreasonable.
Yeah... pricing on these things are strange... leftover new ones from $74K Used ones with 15,000 miles on them for $65K... used with less than $5,000 miles still $74K etc... I'm (somewhat) patient... It will have to be a good deal... or the F and I remain in our current relationship.

Quick Reply: Talk me off the edge... considering GT-R