IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F values down the road??? Collectible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-16, 05:20 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The Isf will absolutely be collectible. It's rarer than some Ferraris and is the first F car, the first fun Toyota to spark the entire reignite on of the Toyota sports name . It's an NA v8 in a world of turbos and is nearly twice as rare as the NSX
Definitely this right here ^^^ The F is a very special vehicle in both what it is and what it stands for. I'm sure that the ISF well definitely hold its value for years to come with maybe just a few examples selling for cheap like you can see on autotrader now a days. I, however, could not keep myself happy knowing I have a valuable and in general fun to driver car just sitting outside my house or in my garage collecting dust. I feel that the F is a vehicle that should be driven and enjoyed the way it was intended to be. As well as for any other cars out there that are considered collectible (except for very rare circumstances).
Old 08-01-16, 07:13 PM
av8or
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

i don't see it as a collectable, sitting in the garage with all its pride and glory.. i see at as a track car in the future.. gutted and made to race by kids.. this car will be so cheap by then.. reliability would be a factor of course and parts would be cheap,.
Old 08-01-16, 10:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

There is no reasonably priced 4 door F car . I don't see that's cars getting below 20k and then as time goes on they will climb slowly . It's not like you can run out and find a nice example easily. Owners are lucky to have them . Anyone out there know anyone with an NSX? If you do you will see what I'm talking about
Attached Thumbnails IS-F values down the road??? Collectible?-photo576.jpg  
Old 08-01-16, 10:59 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There is no reasonably priced 4 door F car . I don't see that's cars getting below 20k and then as time goes on they will climb slowly . It's not like you can run out and find a nice example easily. Owners are lucky to have them . Anyone out there know anyone with an NSX? If you do you will see what I'm talking about
That is also true and I forgot to mention that in my post above. All the examples of ISF I've seen for selling for cheap , not just in California but nationwide, all look like poor examples. They all either have some sort of damage to the exterior, wear on the interior, some God awful aftermarket wheels, high mileage, belong to a shady dealer, or all of the above.

Also just had to say this but the NSX is a dream car of mine as well But that's even more out of reach than the F seemed to be not to long ago lol.
Old 08-02-16, 08:46 AM
av8or
Intermediate

You have to see the big picture.. The nsx, supra etc, has an identity of their own.. Problem with the is-f is it shares the body with the mass produced is250 and is350.. Neither of those cars will be collectables, ever.. That is the biggest flaw on the isf side.. Some will see it as a isxx with mods.. A few will see what the car really is.. Majority will see it as the car mom and pop, grandma and grandpa drives.. You can keep explaining to those uninformed the special differences, the engine, the front end, the quad rear exhaust bumper but bottom line, majority will not even care.. But if it didn't share the body, something the masses see on the street everyday, there is a potential for it to be a collectable..
Old 08-02-16, 08:50 AM
babyzilla
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by av8or
You have to see the big picture.. The nsx, supra etc, has an identity of their own.. Problem with the is-f is it shares the body with the mass produced is250 and is350.. Neither of those cars will be collectables, ever.. That is the biggest flaw on the isf side.. Some will see it as a isxx with mods.. A few will see what the car really is.. Majority will see it as the car mom and pop, grandma and grandpa drives.. You can keep explaining to those uninformed the special differences, the engine, the front end, the quad rear exhaust bumper but bottom line, majority will not even care.. But if it didn't share the body, something the masses see on the street everyday, there is a potential for it to be a collectable..
You're not very nice ;P
Old 08-02-16, 08:53 AM
av8or
Intermediate

Originally Posted by reny0519
You're not very nice ;P
lol.. Well, sometimes the truth hurts...
Old 08-02-16, 09:00 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by av8or
If that's how people think then why does my 68' GTX or just about any car that shares a standard base modle from the muscle car era hold such a value? If you're going to say it's a differant thing then let's touch on R32, R33, R34 Skyline. Those cars all have multiple versions of the same chassis. Supra even has a base non-turbo with cloth interior.
Old 08-02-16, 09:04 AM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a neighbor that has one, but it's at his place in DC and not Beachland. He's the only guy I know with one and he's a motor head that loves my ISF.
Old 08-02-16, 09:17 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It will be collectible in the sense that it holds it value well and may hit a point at which it slowly increases at about the rate of inflation. But it is not an "investment" car that will appreciate at a rate better than what you could get investing via other avenues. We plan to keep ours for the indefinite future so the value is not necessarily a big concern, although I do enjoy owning something rare, or at least relatively rare. My clean 95 GSR was relatively rare (wish I could have kept it) and my 2006 Legacy Spec-B was rare (also wish I could have kept it) and I don't plan on letting the ISF get traded in on the next new thing like the others. Already told the wife we will just have to add to the stable.
Old 08-02-16, 09:51 AM
av8or
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RCB
If that's how people think then why does my 68' GTX or just about any car that shares a standard base modle from the muscle car era hold such a value? If you're going to say it's a differant thing then let's touch on R32, R33, R34 Skyline. Those cars all have multiple versions of the same chassis. Supra even has a base non-turbo with cloth interior.
Remember, big picture.. your '68 gtx was marketed as a muscle car foremost.. it's own identity.. The supra, 2 door sports car from japan.. It's own identity.. The r32, 33 etc, another 2 door sports car from japan.. It's own identity.. Do you get where i'm coming from.. These cars were marketed as such, their own identity.. Our isf was marketed first as a family car is250 and 350.. People who don't know will see it as such, a regular marketed family car.. Again if the isf didn't share the body, the collectable potential is there.. Once a guy from a gas station asked me if i was a racer, i said no, he then said why all the body work.. Told him the car came like that.. He then said he has the same car and points to his is250.. When i first brought the car home, my neighbor said, hey we have the same car, color and all.. He had an is350.. It's hard to be a collectable when every average joe sees your car the same as theirs..
Old 08-02-16, 09:59 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

^I would have to disagree. Most mustangs sold in the 60's were the secretary 4 cyl models, yet special models like the GT350, GT500, Boss etc are worth tons, secretary 4 cyl coupes, nope not so much. Camaro, same thing. The is250/is350 will fall away and get worn out while I would guess a high percentage of ISF will be well cared for and remain long after the others are in the junk yard. What about the Acura Integras, it was a boring, slow nothing, yet a clean GSR brings decent money and the ITRs sell for more than new. The typical person thinks the ITR is just an econobox with a ricer wing.
Old 08-02-16, 10:24 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
^I would have to disagree. Most mustangs sold in the 60's were the secretary 4 cyl models, yet special models like the GT350, GT500, Boss etc are worth tons, secretary 4 cyl coupes, nope not so much. Camaro, same thing. The is250/is350 will fall away and get worn out while I would guess a high percentage of ISF will be well cared for and remain long after the others are in the junk yard. What about the Acura Integras, it was a boring, slow nothing, yet a clean GSR brings decent money and the ITRs sell for more than new. The typical person thinks the ITR is just an econobox with a ricer wing.
I hear you on this but a Mustang was still a Mustang, as was a Camaro still a Camaro

IMO, our cars SHOULD be collectors due to rarity however I think one thing will stand in the way - the name Lexus. This will be our biggest hurdle. My 1971 Cutlass SX was 1 of 1820 but never fetched the same price as Chevelles / Stangs / you name it with 50Kx the production numbers. There was nothing mechanically inferior about the car either, it just carried the name Oldsmobile. Even 442s or Hurst Olds were enough to overshadow the name & collect value. There's always hope, and while I drive my F almost every day in the Spring / Summer / Fall the way it's meant to be driven, I plan on it being collectible.
Old 08-02-16, 12:00 PM
av8or
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
like "quad" said.. mustang is a mustang.. camaro a camaro.. both started as muscle cars.. even the "F" brand has fell on the leeward side.. the "F sport " killed it.. mostly i have been getting" is this f sport" questions.. i think lexus should have kept the "F" brand and just introduced "G sport" or what ever letter you prefer.. i will say this, car enthusiasts will appreciate what the isf started and initially represented.. but collectable? seriously, not with an is250/350 body..
Old 08-02-16, 12:08 PM
LOWFAST
Advanced

I guess we will just have to give it another 10-15 years to find out.

Quick Reply: IS-F values down the road??? Collectible?