IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Charcoal filter and intake sound after the JOEZ intake and TOM's drop in air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-10, 11:30 PM
ISFC6
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charcoal filter and intake sound after the JOEZ intake and TOM's drop in air filter?

I just had the JOEZ PTS exhaust installed today, along with the JOEZ intake tube and Tom's drop in air filter. Love the sound combination. Below are my two questions, as I was not present during the installation, and forgot to ask.

1) I can no longer hear the second intake open at around 4.000 RPM. Is this normal, or could they have accidentally shut off the secondary valve during installation of the air filter and intake pipe?

2) I noticed that the Tom's air filter already has a built in charcoal filter attached to it. when I got my OEM filter back, I noticed that it did not have a charcoal filter attached to it. Could it be that the installer left the OEM charcoal filter in the air box, along with the Tom's filter that already has the charcoal filter? does this make sense?

Last edited by ISFC6; 09-16-10 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-16-10, 09:12 AM
ISFC6
Pole Position

Anyone? I am sure that many have the JOEZ intake with TOM'S filter combo...

Last edited by ISFC6; 09-16-10 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-16-10, 09:33 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Your 2nd stage intake is there, you probably don't hear it because of the new exhaust.
Old 09-16-10, 09:56 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

^^ agree wit juanca, maybe after ur exhaust settles down u will probably hear ur secondary intake.
Old 09-16-10, 10:00 AM
ISFC6
Pole Position

Great to hear. I do not think that anything was touched with the secondary intake valve, when installing the TOM's filter and JOEZ pipe, correct?

Does anyone have any information about my second question about the charcoal filter? I searched, but found nothing.
Old 09-16-10, 10:35 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

^^ The charcoal filter is firmly & permanently secured to the air box cover that goes over the engine filter..

I just installed a TOM's drop in filter.
There is no charcoal filter on any of the engine air filter elements.

Congrats on your install!!

To test the secondary intake flap, have friend rev the engine in park and look for the flap to open and close as the Rpms go past 3600.. (each way)

The new exhaust sound supersedes the air intake "noise"

Best Regards,

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 09-17-10 at 12:33 PM. Reason: 3600 rpms
Old 09-16-10, 10:41 AM
ISFC6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ The charcoal filter is firmly secured to the air box cover that goes over the filter..

I just installed a TOM's drop in filter. There is no charcoal filter on the engine air filter elements.

Congrats on your install!! :woot"

Best Regadrs,

Joe Z
Thank you Joe. The installer used to work for Lexus and and now for Toyota. He also races on the NHRA pro alcohol circuits. He said that everything fits like a glove. The only thing that he noticed is that part of the exhaust comes really close to the rear differential, but is not touching or rubbing against it. Does this stay firm in place, or tends to move around with miles? I will log some miles, are redyno the car.

So regarding the Charcoal filter, the OEM filter does NOT have a built in charcoal filter to it, but the TOM's DOES have one correct? So now I have TWO charcoal filters? One in the OEM Air box, and another one attached to the TOM's filter?
Old 09-16-10, 10:53 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ISFC6
Thank you Joe. The installer used to work for Lexus and and now for Toyota. He also races on the NHRA pro alcohol circuits. He said that everything fits like a glove. The only thing that he noticed is that part of the exhaust comes really close to the rear differential, but is not touching or rubbing against it. Does this stay firm in place, or tends to move around with miles? I will log some miles, are redyno the car.

So regarding the Charcoal filter, the OEM filter does NOT have a built in charcoal filter to it, but the TOM's DOES have one correct? So now I have TWO charcoal filters? One in the OEM Air box, and another one attached to the TOM's filter?
The section that rides near the differential will stay put... It will never rub or touch in that area.

I did not see a "built in" charcoal filter in the Tom's..

Joe Z
Old 09-16-10, 10:56 AM
ISFC6
Pole Position

The section that rides near the differential will stay put... It will never rub or touch in that area.

I did not see a "built in" charcoal filter in the Tom's..

Joe Z
Joe, My TOM'S filter was orange on the outside with the word "TOM'S" written on it, but on the other side, it has a charcoal portion externally that was attached to the filter. The one that you saw did not have this?

Last edited by ISFC6; 09-16-10 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-16-10, 11:50 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

It's not a charcoal portion of the filter element (unless you mean the color?)

TOMS Drop-In Air Filter Lexus IS F 2008 -

Is Constructed of a 3 layer poly-foam, the "Super Ram 2" dry filter element is designed for better airflow and enhanced performance.
This filter element is reusable. Made in Japan.

Some pics I found here

Best Regards,

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 09-16-10 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-16-10, 11:56 AM
ISFC6
Pole Position

It's not a charcoal portion or filter element (unless you mean the color?)

TOMS Drop-In Air Filter Lexus IS F 2008 -

Is Constructed of a 3 layer poly-foam, the "Super Ram 2" dry filter element is designed for better airflow and enhanced performance.
This filter element is reusable. Made in Japan.

Some pics I found here

Best Regards,

Joe Z
Joe, the front of my filter looked like that, but on the back side of the filter, is where it had like an additional charcoal filter attached to it. I could not find pictures of the back side to verify.
Old 09-16-10, 03:35 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

^^ I found these pics for you using Google Image search..

They are from our very own CL member "BigMikeISF"

Regards,

Joe Z
Old 09-16-10, 03:50 PM
ISFC6
Pole Position

Joe, I had found those as well. I guess that the TOM's also has that charcoal filter attached to the back, correct?

Last edited by ISFC6; 09-16-10 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-16-10, 11:03 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ISFC6
Joe, I had found those as well. I guess that the TOM's also has that charcoal filter attached to the back, correct?
No I don't think so...

The Tom's Engine filter is made of 3 different layers of poly foam.

The oem charcoal media is not foam.

Joe Z
Old 09-17-10, 08:57 AM
ftw
Rookie

There is no charcoal filter on the back of the Tom's filter. It is a foam which is black in color. The charcoal filter is in the air box itself and sits behind where you install the filter element. The charcoal filter covers half of the airbox opening, the other half has a plastic cage. I drilled out the mounts and removed mine when I installed the Tom's element. It's only there for some emmisions requirement and just decreases air flow.

Quick Reply: Charcoal filter and intake sound after the JOEZ intake and TOM's drop in air filter?