ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS F (2008-2014) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014-200/)
-   -   Warning for eBay front splitter owners (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014/500074-warning-for-ebay-front-splitter-owners.html)

GarrettISF 05-11-10 08:01 PM

HyperMKIV, where did you get the silver braces that connected to the front splitter? Looks great.

mrohno 05-11-10 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by marshjr (Post 5479279)
Interesting this post came up today...
I was sitting around the other day trying to think of a more rigid DIY solution for splitters rather than CF or ABS. I thought I'd template out the shape and have my buddy cut it out of 6061 aluminum plate on his CNC machine, then wrap it in 3M CF vinyl (or whatever, powder-coat, bang can, etc). Pre-drill the holes for the nuts/bolts, and also use turnbuckle style mounts.

Open for discussion, feedback welcome!

Brian

I have also been thinking about a splitter like this for a while as well. I was on the fence about how the car would look with the rods, but after seeing the pics posted, it dosen't look bad at all....and i think the IS-F front bumper will have better places to mount the rods. For those with Splitter expirience...Does the splitter have to be flush with the leading edge of the chin, or can there be a slight gap from the bottom of the chin to the top of the splitter? inpute would be great.

jay

isbeater 05-12-10 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by primecut (Post 5474707)
I feel sorry for the car behind you! I have the CF one and not the eBay one, so hopefully that one is stronger.. I haven't heard any flapping or sounds coming from the front.

Was it full CF or just CF wrapped?

HyperMKIV 05-12-10 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by GarrettISF (Post 5479585)
HyperMKIV, where did you get the silver braces that connected to the front splitter? Looks great.

no idea, i just saw that pic somewhere else here on CL...

Originally Posted by mrohno (Post 5480178)
I have also been thinking about a splitter like this for a while as well. I was on the fence about how the car would look with the rods, but after seeing the pics posted, it dosen't look bad at all....and i think the IS-F front bumper will have better places to mount the rods. For those with Splitter expirience...Does the splitter have to be flush with the leading edge of the chin, or can there be a slight gap from the bottom of the chin to the top of the splitter? inpute would be great.

jay

flush wold be best but it's hard to get them flush due to the underside of the bumper... you'll have to just try it to understand i guess...

mrohno 05-12-10 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by HyperMKIV (Post 5480717)
no idea, i just saw that pic somewhere else here on CL...

flush wold be best but it's hard to get them flush due to the underside of the bumper... you'll have to just try it to understand i guess...

Yeah I Figueroa flush would be best but the way the chin is designed to mount it flush the splutter would be angled up. If I mount it the way I want there would be a gap and I'm afraid that rather than the wind being directed into the air inlet, it would gather in the gap and cause either excessive resistance and put way too much stress on the splitter and be counterproductive. Any experts have input or know the most proper way to utilize this type splutter? Thanks.

Jay

HyperMKIV 05-12-10 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by mrohno (Post 5480784)
Yeah I Figueroa flush would be best but the way the chin is designed to mount it flush the splutter would be angled up. If I mount it the way I want there would be a gap and I'm afraid that rather than the wind being directed into the air inlet, it would gather in the gap and cause either excessive resistance and put way too much stress on the splitter and be counterproductive. Any experts have input or know the most proper way to utilize this type splutter? Thanks.

Jay

just to let you know, these eBay splitters are pretty much for looks. the underside are hollow...not smooth. i highly doubt they're much good for what you're intending on doing. you're much better off with something custom made for that... just my 2 cent...

i can take pics of the underside of my other one if you want to see what i mean...

GarrettISF 05-12-10 05:18 PM

I just picked up these splitter rods:

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/a...s-p-45474.html

I have the same splitters as you HyperMKIV. Hopefully these will help with the breakage...although the rods arn't the most pretty of additions.

n0th1ng 05-12-10 05:30 PM

^ i actually like them..
i might do this again on the bottom of my lexon lip hahah but i havent decided just yet.. :p

HyperMKIV 05-12-10 06:04 PM

here's the underside of the splitter:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...1&d=1273712670

n0th1ng 05-12-10 06:21 PM

^ pic not working~!~~!

HyperMKIV 05-12-10 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by n0th1ng (Post 5482443)
^ pic not working~!~~!

how about this then:
http://images20.fotki.com/v534/photo...5121741-vi.jpg

HyperMKIV 05-12-10 07:31 PM

those look way better than the ABS versions...

n0th1ng 05-12-10 08:15 PM

mine was like that but actual CF was covered by some layers of FiberGlass to reinforce it..

lobuxracer 05-12-10 08:48 PM

If you're going for looks, tack on anything that looks good.

If you want your splitter to produce downforce, you need the air on top to stall and the air underneath to go as fast as possible. Stalled air on top is what creates pressure directly related to the area of the splitter. Fast air on the bottom reduces pressure as speed increases so downforce increases with speed.

So far I've not seen anything like a functional splitter on a US IS-F. The iCode F does have a functional splitter.

juvi22003 12-17-11 10:36 AM

Is this AUTOTECKNIC CARBON FIBER SPLITTER? or was it bought from ebay seller aftermarket_outlet? thinking about buying one soon....