IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

So long rusty IS-F wheels, so long Lexus...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-10, 11:19 AM
LexFather

I see Joe-Z posted pics, any pics of the actual rusted wheels?
Old 03-12-10, 11:30 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,059 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I see Joe-Z posted pics, any pics of the actual rusted wheels?
I can't see the actual BBS wheel finish "rusting"..

It's has to be the pitting or discoloration that resembles it... or brake/rotor fragments that get half-baked into the wheel finish, that actually rusts..

Joe Z
Old 03-12-10, 12:27 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts

My impression is that Lexus integrates the wheels from BBS as an OEM provider. They most likely could have used a better finish with higher temp resistance. My kosei's have not seen much pitting and I think My OZ's were fine as well. It is unfortunate that they are handling you claim this way for sure. I cannot see owning anything else though. If you think you are going to get superior quality, I think you may find your self in a worse situation. You have to remember that this is the first performance vehicle that has been released under the Lexus name. I think they have learned a lot since the initial release about the issues, the support model and the type of customer that will be buying this type of product.

I think also the majority of ISF owners are not the typical consumers of this type of product. We want it all, performance, reliability, and we want our cars to still look good at the end of the day. We are a picky bunch.

Take a look at the brake dust on german cars when you get a chance, its horrible.

Brake dust issues are just one more reason why most people really do not want to own a race car in practice. I know some people were able to get wheels replaced under warranty early on..it sounds like they are running out of resources.

Fig
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 03-12-10, 12:39 PM
byung
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we are not dealing car with normal brake.
If you can't deal with this, ISF may be not the car for you or even every car with BBK would not work for you. You may want try ISX50s or ES if you want keep your wheels clean.

how hard did you try to remove dust? how often did you clean your car? Getting professional detailng everyweek will not help keep clean wheels and brake dust from Brembo.

Nobody will take better care than yourself on your car.
I trired to keep my wheels clean as much as 2 or 3 times a week(about10-15minutes per wheels), cleaning with soft cloth and clear coat safe wheel cleaner. It keeps shining like new since Sep 2008.

picture of your rims will be very helpful to understand your situation.
Expensive cars demands expensive care.
Old 03-12-10, 12:58 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by byung
we are not dealing car with normal brake.
If you can't deal with this, ISF may be not the car for you or even every car with BBK would not work for you. You may want try ISX50s or ES if you want keep your wheels clean.

how hard did you try to remove dust? how often did you clean your car? Getting professional detailng everyweek will not help keep clean wheels and brake dust from Brembo.

Nobody will take better care than yourself on your car.
I trired to keep my wheels clean as much as 2 or 3 times a week(about10-15minutes per wheels), cleaning with soft cloth and clear coat safe wheel cleaner. It keeps shining like new since Sep 2008.

picture of your rims will be very helpful to understand your situation.
Expensive cars demands expensive care.
What part of "the finish on the wheels is damaged" are you confused about?
I have owned several bmw's and have NEVER had one of their wheels pit like this EVER. This is a wheel finishing problem.
Old 03-12-10, 02:22 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 532 Likes on 281 Posts

I'm close to 30k on my 2009 ISF which i've had in my posession since 12/08. I have not experienced any wheel pitting from the brake dust to date. I do have wheel pitting from rocks and debris from the road which is normal, but I have yet to experience the pitting people have described here. I do wash my car on my own and take the time to wash each wheel individually, down to all the crevaces and behind the spokes when possible.
Old 03-14-10, 09:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,891 Likes on 2,362 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
I'm close to 30k on my 2009 ISF which i've had in my posession since 12/08. I have not experienced any wheel pitting from the brake dust to date. I do have wheel pitting from rocks and debris from the road which is normal, but I have yet to experience the pitting people have described here. I do wash my car on my own and take the time to wash each wheel individually, down to all the crevaces and behind the spokes when possible.
Same here. Despite two track weekends with Carbotech XP12s in the front, I've not seen any damage to the finish I could not remove with car wash soap and water. Mine is a late 2008 production car. Maybe BBS figured this out and changed their clear coat sometime in 2008?
Old 03-15-10, 04:49 AM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I can't see the actual BBS wheel finish "rusting"..

It's has to be the pitting or discoloration that resembles it... or brake/rotor fragments that get half-baked into the wheel finish, that actually rusts..

Joe Z
I'm guessing this is the case. From what I can tell on my front wheels, it is baked on rust colored brake dust. No matter what method I try, it will not come off completely. I might see about getting the front wheels refinished this summer.
Old 03-15-10, 08:36 AM
NoVa-isF
Driver School Candidate

I called Lexus today about this and they are going to refinish all of my wheels... For free!
Old 03-15-10, 04:43 PM
fleadog99
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never experienced pitting, then again my wheels went strait to my garage after about a month.
Old 03-17-10, 01:02 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm on my 3rd and 4th Lexus and from my experience, Lexus stock wheels have always had issues. The finish is not very durable. I never cared about it cause I always change wheels. For someone who rides stock I understand the concern. You want every part covered and that includes the wheels.
Since I love pretty wheels I would give in and paint them. Nope, I'd buy aftermarket....who am I kidding. But for you oztiks, stick with it, stay on them. Print posts of others with similar complaints and send to corporate. I did that with our old ES300 when a claim was being denied and that worked. Lexus has changed, that I completely agree with.
Old 03-17-10, 01:08 AM
edwinbong
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NoVa-isF
I called Lexus today about this and they are going to refinish all of my wheels... For free!
good stuff
Old 04-05-10, 07:05 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

-F is gone... may pick up the next one after a redesign and Lexus have a reality check.
Old 04-06-10, 04:40 AM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oztiks
-F is gone... may pick up the next one after a redesign and Lexus have a reality check.
Bum deal, oztiks. Lexus has cost you a lot of money and frustration over this.

As good as the car is, I don't know if I'd go back for another should this happen to me.

I wish you well with whatever you decide and choose.

Isfer.
Old 04-06-10, 06:51 AM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

A fairly "odd" change, but I went back to Infiniti for a bit...

It's a love it/hate it car.. i'm still not in love with the looks, but love the way it drives.

Quick Reply: So long rusty IS-F wheels, so long Lexus...