IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

So long rusty IS-F wheels, so long Lexus...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-10, 08:00 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Very unacceptable IMO for a 64k car... Seems like you have to go to corporate HQ to get anything done.. Most of these dealers and Managers don't know there head from there azz.. Sorry to hear your frustration.. I would be frustrated as well... Seems like every owner needs to replace the pads ASAP to avoid this..
Old 03-10-10, 09:16 AM
FBTO
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
Just a thought, but do you know if the previous owner may have run aftermarket pads? Some race pads with high metal content would be the only reason why there would be signs of rust on an aluminum wheel. If the previous owner ran race pads and neglected the wheels even slightly the metals would infuse in the wheel and start to rust.
Is there a way to protect the wheels?
Old 03-10-10, 10:13 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by FBTO
Is there a way to protect the wheels?
I was thinking about this. I wonder if they could be vinyl wrapped like the body can be?
Old 03-10-10, 11:29 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Powder coating is way more resistant. Also if there are pads that give off less dust it might be worth sacrificing some brake feel for less dust. I love the IS350 dustless pads. I think you are a little over reacting to a very common problem for many cars.

Koz
Old 03-10-10, 12:21 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bummer that Lexus hasn't responded with revised lower dust front pads, like they did (very effectively) for IS250/IS350.

Are those with aftermarket wheels having the same problem with finish?
Old 03-10-10, 12:41 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I got my wheels refinished by Lexus and then put on aftermarket pads.

I had the same pitting problems and made visits and calls all the way up the corporate ladder with limited success and the arrogance of Lexus corporate was something to behold (do they even care?). They finally agreed to refinish the wheels which they did and the results were excellent. Before driving more than a few miles on the newly painted wheels, I replaced the pads with some NON METALLIC pads and have had no problems since.

I suspect the reason there are no "dustless" pads for the "F" is simply that there are not as many of the cars out there and the level of complaints has not risen to the critical point.

This negative experience with Lexus renders this IS-F my last Lexus/Toyota product for a long, long, long long time.
Old 03-10-10, 12:52 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,059 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

The problem is pretty much related to the "clear coating" or last layer of paint / stage used on the gunmetal wheels...

The brake dust contaminates penetrate this layer in a very short amount of time..

It's just NOT strong enough to with stand the harsh elements..

Example..

Here is my Five Axis Wheel on 3/7/10... Last washed on Thanksgiving Day 11/26/09

Here it is washed on 3/7/10

(Wet)

(Dry)

Please excuse the crappy cell phone pics..

So basically my F went 3.5 months without even a rinse..
The only water is saw, was from several heavy rain storms.

Their are NO signs of wheel finish pitting or any sign of corrisive damage from the accumulated brake dust on my wheels.. For the record these wheels have a matte finish..

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 03-10-10 at 01:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-10-10, 01:07 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Excellent point regarding the OEM clearcoat!

Glad to here that the dust from the OEM pads doesn't affect the finish on other vendor's wheels. Clearly points to a manufacturing issue with the quality of the clearcoat finish on the OEM wheels. By the way, those wheels are beautiful!

Last edited by jkeifer3; 03-10-10 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-10-10, 01:24 PM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

oztiks, you don't have to get rid of the car, just buy some after market wheels (Vossen or whatever you like) and call it a day. Sounds good, right?
Old 03-10-10, 03:11 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lex
oztiks, you don't have to get rid of the car, just buy some after market wheels (Vossen or whatever you like) and call it a day. Sounds good, right?
Sounds like a more economical solution. Others are researching new front pads (aftermarket) too.
Old 03-10-10, 04:06 PM
Sonicjlee
Driver School Candidate

I've heard the wheel cleaner sold by Griot's garage does a pretty good job of cleaning the brake dust from the stock IS-F brake pads off the stock wheels - I haven't personally tried it though.

I currently have Volk TE37s (Titanium Gunmetal finish) on my IS-F and haven't noticed any damage on them from brake dust.

Lexus really should fix this problem, but as someone else had mentioned, it would probably be more economical to replace your stock wheels with a set of aftermarket wheels that are not affected by the brake dust from the stock IS-F pads - an additional plus is you'll have a more unique F!
Old 03-10-10, 04:57 PM
kickhard
Pole Position

hmmm I havent seen the wheel pitting on my car yet but a word of advice dealing with Toyota.

I had a warranty issue with my GTR. The front bumpers paint was bubbling up at the head light area. I told my dealer, they took pics, sent them to Nissan, and of course they blamed me saying I caused the paint to lift off the bumper by scraping the bottom of the bumper which had nothing to do with it. They also said there was no other car with that issue reported. I then asked them to look at it again because i know of several other GTR's with the same problem in exact same area and it doesnt matter about color either, again denied. I was so pissed I started a thread like you did here and asked all other GTR owners to post the pics of their cars in the thread with the issue. I then asked them again to reconsider and pointed out to them the thread and told Nissan I would contact Car and Driver, and other media to get my story out and public................

Next day they said we are sorry and will cover it as a warranty claim. This also now has a bullentin and all GTR owners are covered.

So My point is they will most always deny you everytime on something like this that cost alot of money to fix. Toyota has alot on their mind now but you have to stay on them about it. It took me over 6 months to get Nissan to see it my way.

Good luck
Old 03-10-10, 05:14 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

A simple answer would be to change pads, there are performance brake pads out there that may or may not be better than your OEM F brake pads but they will have considerably less brake dust which will help your cases.
Old 03-10-10, 11:27 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Koz
Powder coating is way more resistant. Also if there are pads that give off less dust it might be worth sacrificing some brake feel for less dust. I love the IS350 dustless pads. I think you are a little over reacting to a very common problem for many cars.

Koz
Koz - I don't think I am really over-reacting. many other owners are experiencing the same issue. I am not upset about the amount of dust, I am upset about the wheels' inability due to poor quality/finish to deal with the dust.

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Bummer that Lexus hasn't responded with revised lower dust front pads, like they did (very effectively) for IS250/IS350.
From what I understand the lower-dust pads are slightly more effective but not really....?

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
I had the same pitting problems and made visits and calls all the way up the corporate ladder with limited success and the arrogance of Lexus corporate was something to behold (do they even care?). They finally agreed to refinish the wheels which they did and the results were excellent. Before driving more than a few miles on the newly painted wheels, I replaced the pads with some NON METALLIC pads and have had no problems since.

I suspect the reason there are no "dustless" pads for the "F" is simply that there are not as many of the cars out there and the level of complaints has not risen to the critical point.

This negative experience with Lexus renders this IS-F my last Lexus/Toyota product for a long, long, long long time.
Yup.. pretty much the same page I am on (last toyota/lexus). I refuse to keep the car with damaged wheels, and pay for aftermarket pads which may or may not meet/exceed factory performance. The stock brakes on the car are outstanding. I have seen less than stellar reviews for aftermarket pads. Also, with lexus' accusation of me USING aftermarket pads (which I was not) and them voiding the warranty on the wheels on that alone - I would be even less likely to go to aftermarket pads.

Originally Posted by Joe Z
The problem is pretty much related to the "clear coating" or last layer of paint / stage used on the gunmetal wheels...

The brake dust contaminates penetrate this layer in a very short amount of time..

It's just NOT strong enough to with stand the harsh elements..

Joe Z
Joe -

As always, your input/feedback is much appreciated. I am glad you are able to see the true problem here - which is the wheel itself, not necessarily the brakes. I am glad your aftermarket wheels are standing up well.

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
Glad to here that the dust from the OEM pads doesn't affect the finish on other vendor's wheels. Clearly points to a manufacturing issue with the quality of the clearcoat finish on the OEM wheels. By the way, those wheels are beautiful!
Ditto this

Originally Posted by lex
Not really. There are other things on the car that are nagging issues (front seat squeak/rattle/thunk, dashboard separating from A/C vent area, windshield exterior seals disintegrating etc) and this was the straw that broke the camel's back, really.

Originally Posted by kickhard
hmmm I havent seen the wheel pitting on my car yet but a word of advice dealing with Toyota.
So My point is they will most always deny you everytime on something like this that cost alot of money to fix. Toyota has alot on their mind now but you have to stay on them about it. It took me over 6 months to get Nissan to see it my way.

Good luck
I hear you, but I honestly have too many other things going on to be fighting with lexus over this silly car. I like(d) the car a lot, and if lexus are this un-"sympathetic" for my situation then they clearly do NOT need me as a customer.

Originally Posted by G Star
A simple answer would be to change pads, there are performance brake pads out there that may or may not be better than your OEM F brake pads but they will have considerably less brake dust which will help your cases.
This goes back to one of my previous points.. of lexus voiding the warranty based on aftermarket pads alone; and the lack of a "proven" aftermarket pad.

At the end of the day, lexus have quite simply let me down. I have "stood up" for them during this whole Toyota fiasco, and now I question that. Lexus used to be very very service and customer oriented, but that time has apparently passed. My biggest issue right now is finding another car I like. I really love the IS-F despite the few flaws it has, but this has kind of pushed the envelope. I will have the car until I find something else that interests me (which I am having trouble doing; I thought i found my savior in the CTS-V but I can safely say I was disappointed when I got to drive one today)

I am waiting on the formal letter from Lexus Corporate which I will be making public information.
Old 03-11-10, 04:23 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Default Nice post

Great post and you have MANY good points! My "F" is my 6th new Lexus, and I echo your opinions on this vehicle, and the Lexus Corporation in general. Back when i bought my first Lexus back in 97 which was a LX450 which I still have today, the company would do WHATEVER it took to keep a customer happy, I honestly feel that today they are living off of their FORMER reputation! I can remember several months ago when someone else had brought up the fact that their wheels were pitting, a member here was saying in essence "deal with it it's a performance car and that's just how it is!" My attitude is, SCREW THAT! I paid a LOT of money for this car and the wheels are a PIECE OF CRAP!! I have NEVER owned a vehicle where I had this kind of problem with the finish on the wheels pitting from the content of the brake pads. I understand EXACTLY what is causing this issue, (the brake pads have a VERY high metallic content, when this HOT metallic dust comes in contact with the VERY soft clear coat on these fancy BBS wheels it is simply BURNING into the surface of the wheels. This is why you can "usually" clay bar most of the damage off the wheels. However, that day will soon end, when the wheel surface is so heavily damaged NO amount of elbow grease will remove this damage. Is the problem structural? NO, it is purely cosmetic, however I did NOT spend 60+K on this vehicle to deal with wheels that have turned to CRAP in less than 8k miles!!!! As Jeremy Clarkson would say, these wheels are COMPLETE RUBBISH!
I also received the same answer about my wheels by the way, "Oh, we have NEVER seen anything like this before." Maybe because there are simply not many of these vehicles in this area, but I am SURE Lexus Corporate is WELL aware of the issue! This GIANT FAIL on THEIR part will keep me from buying another Lexus vehicle for a VERY LONG TIME!

Last edited by ming15237; 03-11-10 at 04:26 AM.

Quick Reply: So long rusty IS-F wheels, so long Lexus...