IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Dropped IS-F = Headlight AIM too high?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-09, 10:25 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok so I know there's a driver's side rear sensor and I looked up front on the driver's side and saw this...but this one doesn't seem adjustable and it attached to the sway bar?

This should be an easy adjustment but it's really giving me a lot of headaches. I swear my s2000 and nsx headlight is double the intensity!

Please help!

Name:  IMG_5583.jpg
Views: 1111
Size:  1.21 MB
Old 11-09-09, 10:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Click here for how they should look.
Old 11-18-09, 08:13 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

DAmn this is really driving me nuts, I just parked the car in the garage at level height and marked the beam height with green tape. Next I adjusted the rear sensor on the driver's side all the way DOWN just to see if the lights will move. Fired the car up and the level has not changed at all! What gives?

Is the front sensor independent of the rear?

From what I understand, the OEM is set at middle on the rear sensor. Moving it up will cause the lights to fire down more. Moving it down will cause the lights to aim higher, essentially opposite?

Am I just totally messing this up?
Old 11-18-09, 08:36 PM
Garage7RP
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the owner's manual, there is a way to disable the AFS. Try to disable that and it should return to the default beam pattern.
Old 11-18-09, 09:57 PM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

no, your lights arent aiming too high. i get this all the time too. the bouncy-ness of your coilovers results in your lights aiming high on the rebound when you come out of a dip in the road. causing the people in front of you thinking that you just highbeamed them, but in fact, you didnt. my friends tell me this all the time when we're cruising at night in a caravan that it sometimes looks like im highbeaming them, but naa, it's just the dips in the road and the rebound of your coilovers that cause your lights to aim high.
Old 11-19-09, 08:29 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Garage7RP
On the owner's manual, there is a way to disable the AFS. Try to disable that and it should return to the default beam pattern.
That's a great idea if it will work. I know how to disable it using the menu selection near the steering column. I just want to shut it off so I can manually adjust the lights, these sensors are driving me nuts!

chrIS250: I'm not having problems with me high beaming me ~ it's more the fact from the driver's seat the lights look "weak" and just not bright at all except when I'm in dark alleys. In normal street traffic I can barely see the headlights are on which is very weird. My old Lexus GS400 was super intense and all my other cars are super bright too. The IS-F just feels very weak in comparison and I already played with the manual levels on each headlight.

rick
Old 11-19-09, 11:53 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
That's a great idea if it will work. I know how to disable it using the menu selection near the steering column. I just want to shut it off so I can manually adjust the lights, these sensors are driving me nuts!

chrIS250: I'm not having problems with me high beaming me ~ it's more the fact from the driver's seat the lights look "weak" and just not bright at all except when I'm in dark alleys. In normal street traffic I can barely see the headlights are on which is very weird. My old Lexus GS400 was super intense and all my other cars are super bright too. The IS-F just feels very weak in comparison and I already played with the manual levels on each headlight.

rick

did u install an aftermarket bulb or replace ur factory bulb? maybe the bulb is not seated correctly in the socket? i did this and had a similar problem.

goodluck
Old 11-19-09, 04:41 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Good point, if all else fails I will check the bulbs since I did replace with 6000k D4S bulbs!

Will turn off the AFS when I leave work in a bit
Old 11-19-09, 06:07 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by chrIS250
no, your lights arent aiming too high. i get this all the time too. the bouncy-ness of your coilovers results in your lights aiming high on the rebound when you come out of a dip in the road. causing the people in front of you thinking that you just highbeamed them, but in fact, you didnt. my friends tell me this all the time when we're cruising at night in a caravan that it sometimes looks like im highbeaming them, but naa, it's just the dips in the road and the rebound of your coilovers that cause your lights to aim high.
everytime i hit a dip in the F, the lights seem like they're on the high beams, causing others to turn on their high beams. once a cop saw that a driver in the opposite direction turning their high beams right when i hit the ditch, and the cop pulled them over to give them a ticket. he was parked at the stop sign, so he knew that my lights were not on high beam at all.
Old 12-31-12, 07:12 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Beam pattern correct?

So I finally got around to taking the car into the dealership to have my lights adjusted as they have been aiming too low ever since I installed the coilovers 2 years ago. While out for a drive this evening I couldn't help but to notice how much better I could see down the road, but there was a problem or at least I think it's a problem. The passenger side is quite a bit higher than the driver side. I understand a few inches is normal, but from several feet back it's well over that. Have a look and let me know if this is how it should look. From what I could tell the dealership manually adjusted the lights and did not touch the AFS sensor in the rear.

The dealership aligned my lights to within "spec" as shown below. WTF!?
Attached Thumbnails Dropped IS-F = Headlight AIM too high?-photo.jpg  

Last edited by caymandive; 01-01-13 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-31-12, 07:21 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Y not adjust yourself ? point to the garage door. just couple click with the flat head screw driver should do sir.
Old 12-31-12, 07:27 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just adjusted my lights this week as well. Mine were WAY to low after lowing the car. I just turned the bolts on the headlights and didn't mess with the sensors. At first I adjusted them way to high and they were literally pointing up in the trees and when I turned on the high beams I couldn't even tell I had turned them on. Went back home and brought them down a tad and what a difference! I can see at night now. I too have changed my bulbs to 5000k's. I might fire my hid fogs up just a bit as well when I get some time.
Old 12-31-12, 08:30 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Adjusted

Sure glad I didn't pay the dealership to adjust my lights today! The only reason I had it done there was out of convenience and they weren't going to charge me.

So I just went out and adjusted myself and it's much better! Does anyone know how to adjust the lights horizontally as well?
Attached Thumbnails Dropped IS-F = Headlight AIM too high?-photo-3-aligned.jpg  

Last edited by caymandive; 01-01-13 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-31-12, 08:51 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, they're just to the sides of the verticle in a hole. Can't see the bolt, just have to stick the screw drive in there and turn.
Old 01-01-13, 08:01 AM
Pqbrown
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm a headlight guru and for me I adjust all my cars when I first get them. Even from the factory, they are **** eyed in a lot of instances. This is one of those free mods that really can change you're car. Glad you got it done, next step is to swap out for some clear lenses and ditch the crappy frensels we get from the factory!

Quick Reply: Dropped IS-F = Headlight AIM too high?