IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

'08 IS-F Front Wheel Pitting

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-09, 06:07 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm on on this as well. Front wheels have some pitting in the corners and starting in the rear.
Old 10-30-09, 12:23 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I took the day off and went to my local lexus dealer and met with the service manager. He, as well as the service reps that "checked me in", are all aware of the wheel pitting issue. One rep even admitted that a salesman there had an IS-F with the same issue. They admitted that their one-time offer of a refinish on the front wheels would not prevent the problem from reoccurring in the future and there was, indeed, an issue with the brake pads. Rather than sign away any rights to a future, and permanent, resolution, I decided not to take them up on their offer for the refinish and take it up with Lexus corporate.

I called Lexus at 800-255-3987, option #2, and filed the complaint with them directly. They indicated they'd call me back within 2 business days to work the issue further.

I recommend and encourage that anyone who has the issue and cares to convince Lexus to do the right thing and provide a proper resolution of the problem, please take the ten or so minutes it takes to call them and place the report. You will need your VIN, phone number, address, etc., so that they can place the report.

I'll keep y'all posted! Have a good weekend!
Old 10-30-09, 12:41 PM
Reciprocal
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
I recommend and encourage that anyone who has the issue and cares to convince Lexus to do the right thing and provide a proper resolution of the problem, please take the ten or so minutes it takes to call them and place the report. You will need your VIN, phone number, address, etc., so that they can place the report.

I'll keep y'all posted! Have a good weekend!
I agree with this. My wheels are not pitted yet, just a matter of time I'm sure. I noticed the brake dust is ferrous, you can pick it up with a magnet. So there is iron content, the rotor itself and the metallic pads. It comes off hot, embeds in the surface, get a little bit of moisture and it's going to corrode into the wheel eventually.
Old 10-30-09, 01:31 PM
Damage
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I scrubbed what I thought was the pitted areas and it all came out. Did you guys try scrubbing hard? It's caked on came off with strong scrubbing. I'll keep watch to see if there's any permanent marks that develop.
Old 10-30-09, 10:47 PM
A03
Driver School Candidate

Finally I'm not the only one with this problem..As everyone stated at one point I was thinking did I do something to make the wheels pit/rust this way?
I wash them twice a week with wax once a week but the pitting is there if one were to look really close..
Depending how severe it gets over time I might have to file a complaint..
The Odd thing is that My F had squeaking problem from Day 1 on a BRAND NEW CAR!! within 30 miles I put on it..

I'll try the wheelwax and see how it goes although currently using meguiar's car wax..
Old 10-31-09, 05:03 PM
rnpjstewar
Driver School Candidate

Dealer replaced mine about a year ago
Old 11-01-09, 03:22 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

I live in VA to and go to the dealer in Chantilly. Glad the dealer helped you out. How have the new wheels been doing as compared to the old ones? Did you change the pads to another compound by any chance?
Old 11-01-09, 09:18 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Priceless!!!!

Try this:

Joe Z
500 miles???? Our F wheels look that dusty after 5 miles!!!!!! maybe even worst sometimes if you brake hard. lol
Old 11-04-09, 08:45 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Well I had a friendly chat with regional Lexus rep, Vicky, on the wheels and they've made a corporate decision to offer a wheel refinish and nothing more. She mentioned that, because of the horsepower of the car, there is a high concentration of metal in the brake pads which is causing the issue. All she could parrot back was that the owner had to maintain the wheels and would not comment on how often the wheels needed to be cleaned and would not respond to my cleaning the wheels twice a week. When I asked if the Lexus literature supplied with the IS-F pointed out specifically that the wheels needed special attention, she said that there was a supplement that spoke to wheel maintenance. Have any of you seen this supplemental maintenance information and, if so, any chance of you scanning it in?

This issue and the way Lexus has chosen to deal with me has really left a bad taste in my mouth and will cause me to rethink Lexus vehicle purchase in the future. Thanks for listening.
Old 11-04-09, 08:54 AM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

same here....I was not even offered refinishing of the wheels i had owned over 10 lexus's in the past and wheels never looked like this...They either need to refinish it with different material so metal parts from the brakes won't stick. How often can someone wash and wax these wheels....Twice a week is already more than enough.
Old 11-04-09, 09:33 AM
lx470man
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lexus is prob. the closest thing to getting satisfaction, and yet they also come with the excuse of its normal,and its your fault not washing the wheels 2 times a day,7days a week,365 days a year.
really did they think the is-f drivers were all gonna be people who have the time and patience to wash the wheels everytime they drive the car?
think about it lexus,its a car people drive daily,and isnt gonna just sit there looking pretty. if a part you use is causing damage to the car within a reasonable amount of time then you must address your mistake.
Old 11-04-09, 10:59 AM
mondo540
Driver

If Lexus isn't going to do much one possible option folks might want to consider if you are keeping the car...ceramic brake pads...I have them, was not happy for awhile afterwards because of the small rust ring on the rotor but that goes away (see other threads on this issue) ...they are very quiet, dust way less and I don't believe they will be throwing tiny pieces of hot metal onto your rims...yes will cost you $400 installed but better than ruining what's left of your rims. Yeh, I know...Lexus should step up and do something, change the OEM pads, etc. but they aren't. FWIW...
Old 11-04-09, 03:36 PM
K3RRYB
Lead Lap

anyones wheel flaking around the center cap? all 4 of my wheels have this problem!
Old 11-05-09, 12:40 AM
jt808
Driver

My service advisor just put in a warranty claim for my wheels. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 11-05-09, 05:08 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

I've been considering the refinish along with getting them to install some ceramic pads (at my cost for the parts and on their dime for the labor). I'd recommend, once again, that anyone who has the issue and is concerned to call Lexus and begin the complaint process. Additionally, I am also considering a class action lawsuit if there are enough people interested in signing on. Anyone know an attorney that specializes in automotive litigation? Also, I wonder what is the magic number of plaintiffs needed to pull one off?

Quick Reply: '08 IS-F Front Wheel Pitting