IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Ideas on how to conceal/hide VIN number near windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-09, 05:51 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Ideas on how to conceal/hide VIN number near windshield?

Most cars have a gap where the windshield meets the dash so you can just slide a piece of cardboard to conceal it but on the IS-F it seems to be encased separately???

I just tried to look at it but nothing fits in between the glass and VIN number!

Just want to hide it so it's not readily visible to public.....

Ideas?
Old 08-24-09, 06:24 PM
Looney100
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who do you think is paying any attention to your VIN? What are you concerned about?
Old 08-24-09, 06:33 PM
makena88
Pole Position

Rick, hiding your VIN number also invites unwanted law enforcement wanting to know why you are doing this.
Old 08-24-09, 06:33 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Looney100
Who do you think is paying any attention to your VIN? What are you concerned about?
Parking meter maids giving tickets based on VIN nmber!
Old 08-24-09, 06:44 PM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by s4play
Parking meter maids giving tickets based on VIN nmber!
Smart, didn't even think of that!
Old 08-24-09, 07:31 PM
crazee201
Pole Position

you can block your vin but they can always scan the barcode on your inspection sticker and typing out your plate
Old 08-24-09, 09:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

What inspection sticker? Most states don't have them. California certainly doesn't because they don't care how bad your mechanicals are as long as you pass smog.

The only thing it saves you is a ticket while you have no plates. California law does not allow you to run plateless for more than 6 months, or you're violating a different law. If you're planning to run paper plates for years to come, plan on a very long traffic stop the first time you get pulled over after 6 months have elapsed.
Old 08-25-09, 12:11 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Guys this isn't a debate over law since I only want to cover it when parked in "un-safe" areas as I don't want others to copy down my VIN (same reason we don't reveal on entire VIN to strangers)

No one has said anything about how to cover it up - why did Lexus totally ENCASE it???
Old 08-25-09, 01:04 AM
Damage
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're running a non-legal license plate. Cops or meter maids will need to see the VIN. A cop can also ask for it via your proof of insurance.
Old 08-25-09, 01:14 AM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IIRC, there is a CA vehicle code which says you have to display your VIN number. I have not seen how the IS-F vin's are displayed so good luck.

Btw, a person could copy your license plate information down much easier and it will give the same information as a VIN number will on almost every online data base most PI's have access to.
Old 08-25-09, 02:14 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pingu
IIRC, there is a CA vehicle code which says you have to display your VIN number. I have not seen how the IS-F vin's are displayed so good luck.

Btw, a person could copy your license plate information down much easier and it will give the same information as a VIN number will on almost every online data base most PI's have access to.
+1 pingu, unless your running around with a cardboard temp tag, you can get the vin from any license plate #
Old 08-25-09, 01:14 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
Guys this isn't a debate over law since I only want to cover it when parked in "un-safe" areas as I don't want others to copy down my VIN (same reason we don't reveal on entire VIN to strangers)

No one has said anything about how to cover it up - why did Lexus totally ENCASE it???
Geeze Rick! You might as well leave the F parked in the garage and not drive it in public at all.

Lexus didn't encase it. It's there so people don't tamper with vin plates. You do realize people can still obtain your vin# by looking under the bumper covers and reading the tag on the bumper reinforcement bar right? All dealerships and places cannot sell you parts or keys to a car unless you show proof of ownership to match.
The following users liked this post:
Gxkenl (02-16-17)
Old 08-25-09, 01:59 PM
jctheplaya
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
What inspection sticker? Most states don't have them. California certainly doesn't because they don't care how bad your mechanicals are as long as you pass smog.
I think he meant the registration for your car, because New York Traffic Pigs scan the registration sticker usually, and New York has an inspection sticker as well, which is expires about a year from the day you get your car inspected for tires, smog etc..., but isn't scannable, just shows a date that your inspection expires
Old 08-25-09, 02:02 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The only thing it saves you is a ticket while you have no plates. California law does not allow you to run plateless for more than 6 months, or you're violating a different law. If you're planning to run paper plates for years to come, plan on a very long traffic stop the first time you get pulled over after 6 months have elapsed.
It's not a problem if the car looks new, I've worked with people that ran paper plates for over 2 years on newer cars. My wife did it on the Benz for over a year. Pulled over twice, first time no problem because car looked new, second time was a fix-it ticket. The fix-it ticket was signed off at police headquarters, they never even stepped outside to look at the car. Since then we have a family member that entered police force so you know who will sign future fix-it tickets, w/o looking.
Old 08-25-09, 02:09 PM
mdsbrain
Lead Lap

Put tint over the glass.

Quick Reply: Ideas on how to conceal/hide VIN number near windshield?