Print Wikipost

The $200 IS-F Exhaust Mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-09, 08:21 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Juanca
Welcome to the custom OEM exhaust club... LOL. I did it sometime ago while I was doing research on catback systems, and I think I'll be keeping my car this way. I'll try to hit the dyno soon, I'm curious about this mod because it feels like I picked up quite a few HP.
Sound is contagious
Old 08-24-09, 08:26 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
http://www.youtube.com/user/dcslay

Look there to see what it sounds like
thought you had that m5 in your vid... but it took off like bat outta hell... LOL...
Old 08-24-09, 08:27 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Sounds great. Great inexpensive mod.
Old 08-25-09, 08:46 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, it's mainly your fault!!!

Sound is contagious
Old 08-25-09, 01:21 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

This just proves what I have said all along about us lexus owners...just because we drive 60K cars, does not mean we part with money lightly. Nice work guys.

Fig
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 08-25-09, 02:31 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FIGS
This just proves what I have said all along about us Lexus owners...just because we drive 60K cars, does not mean we part with money lightly. Nice work guys.

Fig

But when we decide to open up a bit we tend to go crazy. Especially those 2j guys
Old 08-25-09, 02:57 PM
j8123
Driver

Originally Posted by FIGS
This just proves what I have said all along about us lexus owners...just because we drive 60K cars, does not mean we part with money lightly. Nice work guys.

Fig
For the money you truly can't beat it. I read on here that you are working on an exhaust for the F. Are you planning on running a pipe as close to the rear diff as other aftermarket systems are? I have the money for a full system, but was not to keen on how close those pipes where to the diff. On the freeway no worries, sitting in traffic it is going to heat the crap out of the diff. Not good in my opinion. I could be wrong, but it steered me away from picking one up.
Old 08-25-09, 03:00 PM
gc86
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But when we decide to open up a bit we tend to go crazy. Especially those 2j guys
mad props on all those races bro, your IS-F is a beast

Last edited by gc86; 06-27-17 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-25-09, 03:26 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by j8123
For the money you truly can't beat it. I read on here that you are working on an exhaust for the F. Are you planning on running a pipe as close to the rear diff as other aftermarket systems are? I have the money for a full system, but was not to keen on how close those pipes where to the diff. On the freeway no worries, sitting in traffic it is going to heat the crap out of the diff. Not good in my opinion. I could be wrong, but it steered me away from picking one up.
Yes, still plugging away. Every corner yeilds another custom part I have to design to make things right.

My system takes nearly an identical path to the stock system and IMO the rear diff will not see any additional thermal input. The big difference is that instead of a collapsed union of the stock setup, I break it out via a full merged 1:2 tubing union...in essense the air is traveling faster, no time to sit and tranfer heat to the surrounding tubing. Plus the diff cover is nice and heat sinked, it should do fine with any incidental exhaust heat, even with only convection cooling.

I am of the opinion that weight is more important than a dual setup, so that is what I am attacking.

Fig
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 08-25-09, 03:37 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

I have the money for a full system, but was not to keen on how close those pipes where to the diff. On the freeway no worries, sitting in traffic it is going to heat the crap out of the diff. Not good in my opinion. I could be wrong, but it steered me away from picking one up.
I agree with Fig here...

The OEM travles right next to the Diff as well....

Plus the IS-F diff is pretty Heavy Duty...

Joe Z
Old 08-25-09, 03:54 PM
j8123
Driver

Thanks for your opinions gentlemen. I was very curious about this and you have answered a couple questions.
Old 08-25-09, 04:19 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds sick!!!!
Old 08-25-09, 06:44 PM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted to do this in cali but then i thought about if i ever get pulled over for a exhaust mode it will be tooooo much trouble to go through to mess with the stock exhaust system. thats why i got borla it was cheaper and it deletes cats and resonator.. it sound very similar to Joe-z had it for over 2month now and i dont have anythin to complain about it... + i can feel the power gain with just exhaust and intake...
Old 08-25-09, 07:45 PM
j8123
Driver

Update:

I ended up having an opprotunity to rematch against a friend of mine in his SC NSX. The last time we raced he was able to pull out on me 1 1/2 cars. His car is has full bolt-on's with a Super Charger. I believe they put down in the 360whp range. We had five runs total tonight. Four from 40-45mph and one from 60mph. All the 40 mph runs were pretty much dead even or him slightly coming out depending on who hit the gas first. The 60mph run I was able to pull out to where his front bumper was on my rear bumper. After racing him and the KB stang I normally race I can say the car picked up a soild 1 1/2 cars from this mod and the JoeZ intake. I am very impressed to say the least. That is a big gain in actual power with two very cheap mods.
Old 08-26-09, 05:58 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Update:

I ended up having an opprotunity to rematch against a friend of mine in his SC NSX. The last time we raced he was able to pull out on me 1 1/2 cars. His car is has full bolt-on's with a Super Charger. I believe they put down in the 360whp range. We had five runs total tonight. Four from 40-45mph and one from 60mph. All the 40 mph runs were pretty much dead even or him slightly coming out depending on who hit the gas first. The 60mph run I was able to pull out to where his front bumper was on my rear bumper. After racing him and the KB stang I normally race I can say the car picked up a soild 1 1/2 cars from this mod and the JoeZ intake. I am very impressed to say the least. That is a big gain in actual power with two very cheap mods.
Car sounds pretty darn good from what I can tell in the video. I'd love to see a direct comparison on the dyno between this $200 exhaust mod vs a full dual exhaust. Can we get something arranged? Anyone local in the DC area thinking about going this custom route? I'd personally like to hear it and maybe schedule a dyno session to compare to cars.

Quick Reply: The $200 IS-F Exhaust Mod